Electrical interface...What is it for?

gmaster

T6 Pro
What is the Electrical interface for external use (terminal block in driver´s seat)?

I ask because I was hoping it could be a good place to wire my dash-cam in to.....Any ideas or wiring diagrams available.

Thanks in advance.

Loads of wiring diagrams in the downloads section but you need to go a VIP member to view them.

What is the Electrical interface for external use (terminal block in driver´s seat)?

I ask because I was hoping it could be a good place to wire my dash-cam in to.....Any ideas or wiring diagrams available.

Thanks in advance.
Perhaps you are referring to a factory installed option IS1, which is indeed "Electrical interface for external use, (terminal strip in driver’s underseat box)". Note: interface doc below is about LHD, so the strip is under left seat.

The documentation of the interface can be found in Body builder guidelines: Transporter - BodybuilderDatabase starting on page 70, available connections on pages 74-77.

Typical use for it is air-ride. Some air-systems use it to pick up the vehicles speed, so you can't travel at 70mph in off-road or upper low- loading heights. It will use the speed signal to adjust the vehicles height automatically.

There are a few variations of interface (IS1, IS2, IS7 ??) another typical use is on special vehicles for example on a refrigerated vehicle the terminals are used to disable start/stop while the fridge compressors are running etc

Depending on the interface there can be lots of data/power supplies present to assist with installation of 3rd party kit

There is some interesting reading in Body builder guidelines: Transporter - BodybuilderDatabase which makes me wonder how many camper converters keep within VW's instructions regarding vehicle modifications! Window fitting, roof cutouts and post production seat fitment are just a few items that sprung to mind and that was with a very quick scan of the pages.

Rod

For the wiring e.g. from a dealer "repair wires" (length 0.5m) with crimp connectors at both ends for the "gray, yellow, purple"-plugs:
Small 1.5mm: 000 979 025 EA (wire 1.0 mm²) - 000979025EA
Med 2.8mm: 000 979 242 E (wire 2.5 mm²) - 000979242E
Large 4.8mm: 000 979 243E (wire 2.5 mm²) - 000979243E

Last edited:
As a novice with limited funds is there anyway I can use the "Electrical interface for external use" to connect electrical items to my leisure battery?

Want to add a couple of 12v lighter sockets to connect a powered coolbox and charge phones for passengers in the back etc

As a novice with limited funds is there anyway I can use the "Electrical interface for external use" to connect electrical items to my leisure battery?

Want to add a couple of 12v lighter sockets to connect a powered coolbox and charge phones for passengers in the back etc
The IS1 has no connections to the leisure battery - just "control/power supplies" from/to the van itself.
You could connect the 12V sockets directly to the leisure battery (through a fuse though).

This has a built in fuse so I can connect it directly to the leisure battery?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SONRU-Cigarette-Voltmeter-Independent-Motorcycle/dp/B07GRKB7SC
Yes, that would work. To protect the wiring it's essential to have the fuse close to the battery - thus minimizing "unprotected" circuitry before the fuse. The 23 inch fused feed wire as in the link is just fine. However, a separate "real" fuse box might be easier to locate so that the fuse is accessible for inevitable replacement.

Yes, that would work. To protect the wiring it's essential to have the fuse close to the battery - thus minimizing "unprotected" circuitry before the fuse. The 23 inch fused feed wire as in the link is just fine. However, a separate "real" fuse box might be easier to locate so that the fuse is accessible for inevitable replacement.
That's brilliant - thank you :thumbsup:

Reactions: mmi
Ordered the extra sockets and before they arrive thought I'd look at the leisure battery to get an idea of what I'm doing

It's got a rubbery cover on it that's not coming off that easily, is it meant to be removed as it looks like it's going to be a pig to get back on - seat is as far forward as it can go - anyone got any suggestions?

IMG_20190621_212246.jpg

Ordered the extra sockets and before they arrive thought I'd look at the leisure battery to get an idea of what I'm doing

It's got a rubbery cover on it that's not coming off that easily, is it meant to be removed as it looks like it's going to be a pig to get back on - seat is as far forward as it can go - anyone got any suggestions?

View attachment 45792
Take the seat off. 4 bolts, 5 mins max.

Ah right ok - thought that might be the answer but was hoping someone had a knack!

Thanks again :thumbsup:

View attachment 45792
Actually it comes off quite easily if you wiggle it a bit on the left and right. It is hold in place by little “ridges” (inside the hood) which “clip” under battery’s “eaves” (at the top of battery). Good thing is it slides back easily then.

Unfortunately there is not too much room to work (exposed positive terminal!) even if the hood is off, so as above eventually it’s easiest to take the seat off.

Reactions: mmi
Back