New EGR fitted, now what?

Ps. On a side not and a different thread, I still have noisy suspension after replacing lots of the common components. So frustrating!
If you start a separate thread, I am sure you will get a lot of inputs. Do describe the kind of noise and that may help on suggestions.

Maybe the noise is from under the van and not really suspension? Maybe some of the other components hung under the van?

The exhaust system is a classic culprit.

The EGR valve and cooler are a consumable, like a clutch. You just need to budget for it.
Agree!

The pre-indicators to this in my case was higher (but normal as per VW) oil consumption - approx 1l every ~ 7000 mls/11,000 kms. The oil has to go somewhere. And the first place it can go into is the EGR cooler I guess and that clogs it up?

Agree!

The pre-indicators to this in my case was higher (but normal as per VW) oil consumption - approx 1l every ~ 7000 mls/11,000 kms. The oil has to go somewhere. And the first place it can go into is the EGR cooler I guess and that clogs it up?
A proportion of the burnt oil residue will end up in the EGR and the rest goes to the DPF. Eventually the EGR valve fouls with carbon, doesn’t close when it should and the EGR re-circulates exhaust gases constantly when it shouldn’t. This further fouls the EGR cooler and valve with carbon, eventually the carbon completely blocks the EGR cooler and prevents the EGR process.
The icing on the cake is the carbon being blown past the piston rings by the high boost pressure into the engine oil.
How to destroy an engine.
Add to that the option of an extended service interval which appeals to fleet owners and it’s game over when it comes to reliability / longevity.

Hello. Yes I had EGR valve and cooler replaced at a cost of £1400. Luckily it was covered under the 3 month warranty from the garage I bought the van from.

Ps. On a side not and a different thread, I still have noisy suspension after replacing lots of the common components. So frustrating!
It’s a commercial vehicle.

Back to the age old question of whether to remove the EGR, and have trouble free motoring, or pay for a repair every few years then!

Back to the age old question of whether to remove the EGR, and have trouble free motoring, or pay for a repair every few years then!
As I read it, of the egr etc is factory fitted (which it should be on vehicles past a certain age) then you cannot remove it and pass an MOT - and if you have no MOT your vehicle is it road legal.

Making a vehicle illegal to drive on the road is an odd path to take in my mind. If you get caught out it will end up being expensive, more so than regular maintenance.

As I read it, of the egr etc is factory fitted (which it should be on vehicles past a certain age) then you cannot remove it and pass an MOT - and if you have no MOT your vehicle is it road legal.

Making a vehicle illegal to drive on the road is an odd path to take in my mind. If you get caught out it will end up being expensive, more so than regular maintenance.
So with regular maintenance, the EGR isn’t a problem for the engines , and they will run care free for many miles , as with other diesals?

Back