New EGR fitted, now what?

TeamD

T6 Pro
Hi all,

I’ve just had a new EGR and cooler fitted due to it being completely blocked and producing and EML.

The van is a 2019 204 DSG 4MO that’s done 36k miles

Do I look to get an EGR delete map or just run it now until it produces another issue in possibly another 36k miles or less??

Any advice welcome, only had the van 8 weeks but still love it and plan to have it for many years.

Cheers Paul

That's extremely low mileage for the year.

The EGR should be good providing the van gets driven well.... So what's your plan for driving?

And EGR delete is illegal on UK roads.(Also an MOT failure and will invalidate your insurance)

That's extremely low mileage for the year.

The EGR should be good providing the van gets driven well.... So what's your plan for driving?

And EGR delete is illegal on UK roads.(Also an MOT failure and will invalidate your insurance)
36k for a 4 year old van, I wouldn’t say that’s extremely low mileage. The past mots show it’s only done 5-7k miles each year for the last 2 years. I will do 10-12k miles per year.

Hopefully my planned mileage will help with future EGR blockage issues??

In the UK it's illegal to tamper with or remove part of the emissions control system if it was factory fitted.

The egr is part of the emissions system along with the adblue and dpf.

Screenshot_20240308_090213_Chrome.jpg

Keep it clean with premium diesel and a glug of Hydra Maximus, good housekeeping should prolong the life of the new egr.

With this regime I had no issues at all in 45,000 miles, no dpf lights, no egr issues and I only do 2x 15 minute trips to work each day so my use case is the worst possible for a modern diesel.

With regards to your advice Dellmassive could I ask what type of driving/vehicle use is preferable to avoid EGR related engine destruction. My van is a 2017 T 6 204 DSG 4 mot with 58,000 miles. To hopefully reduce premature mechanical issues oil/ filters done every year, dsg / haldex service done ahead of schedule. My van is not a daily driver and almost always does 200-400 miles at a time. Getting a service done soon and will be costly enough with oil ,filters , dsg oil change and fns wheel bearing but considering an egr flush after reading about some of the egr problems on the forum. Just not sure if it would be needed I’m sure the dealer will be happy to empty my wallet.

With regards to your advice Dellmassive could I ask what type of driving/vehicle use is preferable to avoid EGR related engine destruction. My van is a 2017 T 6 204 DSG 4 mot with 58,000 miles. To hopefully reduce premature mechanical issues oil/ filters done every year, dsg / haldex service done ahead of schedule. My van is not a daily driver and almost always does 200-400 miles at a time. Getting a service done soon and will be costly enough with oil ,filters , dsg oil change and fns wheel bearing but considering an egr flush after reading about some of the egr problems on the forum. Just not sure if it would be needed I’m sure the dealer will be happy to empty my wallet.
the main issues with EGR and DPF is frequent short journeys where engine and DPF doesn't get up to temp. ( and the EGR and did will slowly soot up)

( unfortunately the way the EGR cooler works on the T6 - using sooty exhaust gases it will eventually clog, there isnt must you can do, apart from flushing, then eventually replacing it. but it should last 50K+. - VW changed the design on the T6.1 so you dont get the same problems, they use clean gas after the DPF using a diverter valve)

so add some longer journeys into the mix, - to allow longer burn off durations.

always try to allow a regen to complete - if you finish your trip and notice its doing a regen.

regular oil and filter service is good practice,

some people like the premium fuels and additives - personally i don't, i use the cheapest costso/tesco derv i can find.

++++++++

more info on Regen here:

+++++++++

and my EGR woes here:

1709903787218.png

Keep it clean with premium diesel and a glug of Hydra Maximus, good housekeeping should prolong the life of the new egr.

With this regime I had no issues at all in 45,000 miles, no dpf lights, no egr issues and I only do 2x 15 minute trips to work each day so my use case is the worst possible for a modern diesel.
I’ve just ordered some hydra, after reading this post, never new about it!

Thanks Dellmassive good information there and I will get the egr flush done at the service. The only times I’ve put premium diesel in when stopped at the wrong pump by mistake and only noticed when paying. doh. Will look at that hydra stuff too.

I’ve been using Hydra Maximus since I bought our van new in November 2021 but I don’t use it for short journeys most use is for our 80 mile trip to our caravan in North Wales, just over 7000 miles on speedo up to the present.

John.

I don’t want to tempt fate here but I’m 130k mls in and have no EGR issues - 2016 T6 150 DSG average 46mpg too…
I do lots of long journeys though and oil change, liqui moly flush every 10-12k myself, and redex often and so far no issues thankfully…

I’ve just had a new EGR and cooler fitted due to it being completely blocked and producing and EML.

The van is a 2019 204 DSG 4MO that’s done 36k miles
Mine is a 2017 204 DSG 4MO and at 50,000 gave the EML light. A check with Carista showed that it was the EGR fault. A £99 check at VW did not tell me anything new (I know, money wasted). I am now considering this as a service item to be replaced every ~50,000 mls.

Got the van with ~7000 mls on the clock and since then have had no issues other than this coming up now after 50,000 mls. All regular services done. Got VW extended warranty but have refused to cover this under the extended warranty.

@TeamD - if you don't mind me asking
a) did you replace both the valve and the cooler? Not sure if I need to replace both, but might as well.
b) how much it cost you. VW are asking me for £1500 for the EGR replacement (both the cooler and the valve).

Ta!

Mine is a 2017 204 DSG 4MO and at 50,000 gave the EML light. A check with Carista showed that it was the EGR fault. A £99 check at VW did not tell me anything new (I know, money wasted). I am now considering this as a service item to be replaced every ~50,000 mls.

Got the van with ~7000 mls on the clock and since then have had no issues other than this coming up now after 50,000 mls. All regular services done. Got VW extended warranty but have refused to cover this under the extended warranty.

@TeamD - if you don't mind me asking
a) did you replace both the valve and the cooler? Not sure if I need to replace both, but might as well.
b) how much it cost you. VW are asking me for £1500 for the EGR replacement (both the cooler and the valve).

Ta!
Hello. Yes I had EGR valve and cooler replaced at a cost of £1400. Luckily it was covered under the 3 month warranty from the garage I bought the van from.

Ps. On a side not and a different thread, I still have noisy suspension after replacing lots of the common components. So frustrating!

Back