Easy ventilation win

batmeister

Afternoon all, I know a lot of people (who sit around in the back of their van a lot) like to fit roof fans for ventilation and removing propane fumes etc. I was wondering if an easier option would be to fit fans in front of the outlet vents in the rear quarter panels. Has anyone tried this and if so with what size/power of fan?

Afternoon all, I know a lot of people (who sit around in the back of their van a lot) like to fit roof fans for ventilation and removing propane fumes etc. I was wondering if an easier option would be to fit fans in front of the outlet vents in the rear quarter panels. Has anyone tried this and if so with what size/power of fan?
Do you mean using the slam-vents,

baker slots?

Thanks, I think I meant "slam vents". From reading these and other posts it seems like it's hard to get enough airflow through, so I think it might be better to use the van's own fans at the front, and wire them so they can be run on low from the leisure battery. Thanks for the help.

Hmm might have to change my plans.

I have just been considering fitting a fan and a PWM controller and my idea was exactly to pull the air from low behind rear quarter panels. Roof vent is not really all that feasible to fit in Caravelle.

I have Webasto water heater and it can do the fresh air ventilation. It works well but in addition I would like a low power fan run from leisure battery that could be kept on through nights. Something like this with PWM to adjust speed and appropriate ducting of course.

If you put an air vent in the floor (like a safety drop out or modified slam vent ) and a vent high up you may find that you have enough airflow with convection and won’t need a fan.
A tailgate bar with cab windows cracked open creates a very good airflow without noise or power consumption.
I had considered using a fan on a modified drop out vent but realised that there are simpler solutions.

If you are buying a van to use as a camper I would advise any dark colour, reflex silver is very good.
I would also advise insulating the whole van, many converters fail to do this for dubious reasons.

Plenty of previous discussion already on the Forum regarding this, have a Search

A tailgate bar with cab windows cracked open creates a very good airflow without noise or power consumption.

Completely agree - this is mostly plenty enough and the main ventilation I use. Sometimes air just stands still though and some forced movement would be nice. And I like tinkering, at least for a sweet moment before it turns into swearing ;)

A few of us have made vents to fit the sliding window. Mine is fitted with a 12v computer fan.

Back