Dual mass flywheels

mopardave

150 Kombi Manual
VIP Member
T6 Legend
From what I'm told, these things are the work of the devil.....a cheap solution to the problem of engine vibration? Now I'm sure I once read that it is not a good idea to release the clutch whilst the engine is ticking over......always dial in a few revs prior to releasing the clutch pedal? Now I don't know how true that is but this morning in heavyish slow moving traffic, I crawled along in second gear, engine on tick over, feet off the pedals, for probably a mile or so, up a slight gradient. I got to thinking, am I doing any damage to the gearbox/clutch/dm flywheel, just letting the torque at idle, just pull me along in second gear?
Thoughts anyone? :thumbsup:

You should be ok doing that as it moves round against the springs when taking up the slack. Dropping the clutch with a caravan on the back will damage it or town drive changing gear all the time .
My son in law done 400,000 miles in his skoda on the motorway doing private hire . Only fitted cambelts and front brakes with a lot of new tyres. He never touched the engine or gearbox and my mate has it now and it's still going .

Work of the devil, designed by Porsche.......
Don't shoot the messenger........it was an engineer who told me. His opinion was that there were better ways of doing the job of the dm flywheel/clutch combination. It may well have been designed by Porsche.......and?

Unless you want to fit a solid clutch conversion kit with a proper flywheel, and in the process invalidate you warranties, your stuck with what you've got. There is no right or wrong way of driving these flywheels, just don't sit at tick over with it in gear and clutch depressed is all I know, and don't let the engine labour and "Shake" due to being in wrong gear is all I can advise.

Unless you want to fit a solid clutch conversion kit with a proper flywheel, and in the process invalidate you warranties, your stuck with what you've got. There is no right or wrong way of driving these flywheels, just don't sit at tick over with it in gear and clutch depressed is all I know, and don't let the engine labour and "Shake" due to being in wrong gear is all I can advise.
Thanks Dave and Keeff.......that's the kind of info I'm after. I'm not considering doing anything about it......just remember on another forum re T5's, it was a real bone of contention. I was under the distinct impression there was a right way and a wrong way to treat these things.........'cos they're bloody expensive when they go wrong. I've never had to replace a clutch in a car......but then I've never had one until I got my T5 and now my T6.
Thanks gents.:thumbsup:

Back