DSG engine labouring juddering in D7

Lorna

I have a 2017 T32 204 DSG 4motion that’s now done just over 100k miles. Had new cam belt and water pump at about 99k in May this year and all was fine. Just recently engine has been labouring and sounding a bit rough in D7 in lower revs and I have to press accelerator to get it to drop down a gear or two. Only things I can think of is 1) I hit a big bump when I was off roading and 2) have been doing quite a bit of towing over distance and with some steep climbs. Have searched through all the posts in engine/gearbox section. Hoping you guys have some ideas, or at least give me some things to mention at garage so they don’t think I’m a complete muppet

Just checked through service history…I had a DSG transmission service at 70k as I couldn’t see anything in service record…contacted previous owner and he said he had definitely had DSG oil changed…
I had 4wd oil change and a/c service at same time…

Get a TVS DSG remap, you would be amazed at the difference.

Thanks, Loz, would that fix this labouring/juddering??

Last edited by a moderator:
VW have a very lame map on the DSG designed to get it into 7th gear as soon as possible and then hangs onto 7th as long as possible, the TVS DSG map changes the behaviour of the box to better match the gears with the revs and current speed.
We had ours done @BognorMotors it has transformed the drive.

Attachments

• Brochure_DQ500.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
From what I read the gearbox characteristics have changed which would indicate that something may not be as it should.
Having a re-map won’t fix the problem, it may make it more drivable but the underlying cause will still be there.

From what I read the gearbox characteristics have changed which would indicate that something may not be as it should.
Having a re-map won’t fix the problem, it may make it more drivable but the underlying cause will still be there.
Or engine performance dropping off, in which case the map would improve things......

Or engine performance dropping off, in which case the map would improve things......
I would imagine a 204ps would have to loose a lot of power before it showed as a struggling gearbox.
Either way painting over the stain in the ceiling won’t fix a leaking roof.

Yes the engine labouring is new, in last couple of months, which made me wonder if I’d strained the engine eg by towing, or maybe damaged engine mounting going over rough ground…

I have a 2017 T32 204 DSG 4motion that’s now done just over 100k miles. Had new cam belt and water pump at about 99k in May this year and all was fine. Just recently engine has been labouring and sounding a bit rough in D7 in lower revs and I have to press accelerator to get it to drop down a gear or two. Only things I can think of is 1) I hit a big bump when I was off roading and 2) have been doing quite a bit of towing over distance and with some steep climbs. Have searched through all the posts in engine/gearbox section. Hoping you guys have some ideas, or at least give me some things to mention at garage so they don’t think I’m a complete muppet
Try the easy and cheap things first. IMO this is more likely an engine fault or issue, although I make no claim to be an expert.
Try some injector cleaner, it's cheap, will do no harm and might restore a bit of lost torque which could be causing your problem.
You've got little to lose.

Edit; I guess you're happy that the air filter has been changed recently?

We can improve both the engine and gearbox behaviour. Having them done together really will transform your van.

Van in garage at the mo…have done a DSG service and oil change and still getting vibration noise in D5, 6 and 7. Saying it needs new gearbox now …. Does that sound a likely diagnosis for symptoms above??

Hi Loz, just got back from garage…£12k estimate for gearbox, flywheel, prop shaft, drive shafts, cardigan shaft…. In a bit of shock now. Only took it in to check out that rattle/vibration. So, now on the lookout for a couple of reputable places between Oxon and North Devon to get a second opinion/diagnosis/quote…

Lorna what garage was this, that wanted £12k. Perhaps others have some knowledge of them.

Hi Loz, just got back from garage…£12k estimate for gearbox, flywheel, prop shaft, drive shafts, cardigan shaft…. In a bit of shock now. Only took it in to check out that rattle/vibration. So, now on the lookout for a couple of reputable places between Oxon and North Devon to get a second opinion/diagnosis/quote…
Sounds like they have no idea and spotted a holiday in the Caribbean this winter from your wallet.

Back