DSG engaging wrong gear when braking ?

Pauly

VCDS User
Admin
So happened for the third time recently, I have coasting turned on and live in a hilly area, travelling down hill @ 30-40-50 mph and vehicle is coasting touch the brake to control speed and the thing feels/sounds like its trying to engage 1st or 2nd, theres very violent banging noises and vehicle shakes and shudders dramatically, imagine doing 50 and just dumping the clutch in 2nd, then all is normal within 2-3 seconds.
Its extremely startling when it happens and is over before you've got time to react, anyone else had this or am I just special
Its on the list of things to report when vehicle goes back to VW for warranty work

In fact I often feel it goes into a too lower gear in general when downhill braking, doing 30-40 mph it always goes into 3rd and revs the engine I think a little to much, I often knock across and click up into 4th as I don't need that much engine braking, but this is normal behaviour and not associated with the shenanigans above

I've the dsg box as well but it's not like you describe above- if anything in D it keeps it a gear higher than I'd like when braking downhill. I sometimes pop in S when on a long downhill as that seems to engage more engine braking but even then nothing like you describe above.

It really needs checking out.

Noticed mine yesterday doing similar . Coming back from Sheffield over the Peak District and when descending down a couple of steep hills DSG selected low gears and was revving at about 3700 rpm in either 2nd or third , thought engine breaking was OK at first but the revs just kept climbing and had to select higher gear manually , it's handy having paddle shift on my steering wheel when this happens .

My DSG used to jump around a lot too. I sorted it by part exchanging the car it was fitted to for my manual T6.
Joking aside - DSG was effortless to drive.

Now I'm used to auto I'm liking the DSG its just the over revving and the occasional banging thing, I'm just hoping VW can sort it when I take it back but I fear they will say "cant find anything wrong with it"
I could turn coasting off but don't really want to

Give the accelerator a quick dab will change up,but as soon as you touch the brakes will change down to give engine assists braking

Problem is going downhill and that's what I do very gentle touch on throttle then off again but then you lose engine braking and have to touch brake again re-engaging gear, overall its not a bad system but i think I have a severe occasional fault with mine as when it does the banging thing its so violent my kids scream in the back, it really is an experience, the vans going in bodyshop for a week next week then I'm booking in to dealer as soon as I get it back - I'm writing a list of all things I want looked at, its not until I wrote it all down I realised how many bits there are !

Chriswhit.....
How come you have paddle shift steering wheel ?
Please post a pic.. i want one

Anyway to stop engine breaking pop it in tip mode

Sometimes I feel that engine breaking is being a bit over zealous but put it down to the way it is and either let it get on with it, dab the accelerator or use tip. Engine breaking is just a feature or even a quirk of DSG auto.

A slush box auto can't do engine breaking because the torque converter doesn't work in reverse. I liked my Merc autos because in cruise you could feel the brakes being applied to slow the vehicle to the cruise setting.

Paddle shift - where, what, how?

Did you buy it like that or have it retro fitted ?
I really want one but cant decide if i should give it a go or not, does the DSG lever have to be knocked over for it to work or does it override full auto ?

@Pauly i had it fitted at custom vanz were I purchased the van from new . The paddle shift over rides the auto box when you tap either the up or down paddle . You can also go back into auto by holding the up paddle for more than two seconds .
Don't use the paddles that much to be honorst and only ordered the basic flat bottomed wheel but to my surprise when I collected the van the nice guys at custom vanz had upgraded for no extra cost .

There on the raceline site advertised as £1000 with paddles, dont no if thats fitted :unsure:

I want one too....on the list :)

Last edited:
I had paddle shift on my last van ,you forget they are there when the novelty has worn off .

Sometimes I feel that engine breaking is being a bit over zealous but put it down to the way it is and either let it get on with it, dab the accelerator or use tip. Engine breaking is just a feature or even a quirk of DSG auto.

A slush box auto can't do engine breaking because the torque converter doesn't work in reverse. I liked my Merc autos because in cruise you could feel the brakes being applied to slow the vehicle to the cruise setting.

Paddle shift - where, what, how?

It was a strange feeling when I first got the Vito but I've grow to like it and miss it on VAG cars now.

A flat bottom wheel with panels is on my list of things to get sorted, Vagnostics seem to be a around the £500 mark I think.

Back