DSG issues - Bi-Turbo. Not selecting gears

Captain_Bacon

Hi all,

I've done a forum Search, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

So my DSG on my 2017, 160k miles 204 PS Bi-Turbo is having 'issues'. Symptoms including not selecting gear at all, or 'dumping the clutch' in a *very* nasty way at a random point on the revs. Typically happens either side of 2nd gear. When it refuses to engage I also get a 'front assist unavailable' message on the dash. Hazards on, pull over, engine off/on and it'll go again.

I think I also sense a little bit of what I think of as clutch slippage as well, I.E. a rise in revs but not road speed.

Perhaps unrelated by my very shaky DMF has also not been as shaky recently... I'm not sure I believe in the coincidence.

The OBD port doesn't seem to be reporting any issues other than my standard EGR issues, even when I had the spanner alert come up on the dash when it wouldn't engage gear.

Not sure if I should take it to a gearbox bod or not - I've read that it could be turbo issues (it takes turbo readings to select the gear so I've been told).

Confused, annoyed, and a bit angry that my VW main dealer just told me to get shot of the van.

Some help would be great. If anyone knows anyone in the Oxford area that they'd recommend I might be able to limp there.

TIA all!

Last edited:
Have you kept on top of DSG oil + filter changes?
What did you use to read the faults?

Just thinking out loud;
there was a service action a few years about chafing on the loom going down to the gearbox, I wonder if this is an electrical fault, especially if you get the front assist fault at the same time.

Fingers crossed it’s not the mechatronic unit, not one of the nices jobs I’ve done but can cause crashing in gears, banging and non selecting if a dealer has told you to put it I would not be supprised if they didn’t suspect this too

Had the DSG stuff done as and when needed. Used a couple of OBD apps - Torque Pro and CarScanner.

Had quotes from about 2.6k for DMF/Clutch to 5k for new box, plus DMF/clutch!

Can someone tell me what does this mean? Control unit -Transmission - reset. I am using OBD eleven. VW Caravelle 2016 2.0 150 DSG

Screenshot_20211018-161321_OBDeleven.jpg

Had the DSG stuff done as and when needed. Used a couple of OBD apps - Torque Pro and CarScanner.

Had quotes from about 2.6k for DMF/Clutch to 5k for new box, plus DMF/clutch!
Hi, did you manage to get this issue resolved if so can you share as a mate seems to be having almost the exact same issue …cheers

Back