DRL Turn Off

There’s an option to have no DRLs when parking brake is on, will achieve the same as you want and they will come on as soon as you remove handbrake

Would need to remember to return the setting back to normal when you present the vehicle for an MoT.

Yes, but the MoT and the requirements that the vehicle is expected to meet in regard to it's lighting, are carried out on a static vehicle. Unless you could convince the tester to check the lights with the handbrake off.

Yes, but the MoT and the requirements that the vehicle is expected to meet in regard to it's lighting, are carried out on a static vehicle. Unless you could convince the tester to check the lights with the handbrake off.
Thats annoying, as I don't have VCDS.

If memory serves me correct though, DRLs being operational is only a requirement on vehicles registered after 1st March 2018. It was one of the recent changes I believe.

Here was I thinking that to have our DRLs disabled when the handbrake was on would be a good mod, and now learn it may then fail its MoT in due course.

However I read the MOT Manual sections 4.2.2 and 4.2.3 as seeming to permit DRLs to be off when the handbrake is on; stating that “DRLs might not operate when the parking brake is on”. Does the Manual’s “might not operate” mean it is permissible? Any professional comment on this?

Extract from:

MOT Manuals Section 4 Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment

The DRLs are a requirement for a moving vehicle not a stationary one so I don’t seeing it being an issue, “might” and “may” in the mot are the key words. Its like the requirement for headlight washers for LEDs “if” fitted etc.

4.2.1 Presence, condition and operation

This inspection is for:

mandatory position lamps
mandatory end-outline marker lamps
daytime running lamps (DRLs) fitted to M1 vehicles first used on or after 1 March 2018

DRLs must switch on and off when the engine is switched on and off.

DRLs might not operate when:

the parking brake is on
the park position is selected on automatic transmissions

There's an example of poorly worded and conflicting guidance for examiners. It starts off by referring to M1 vehicles. (PVs are N1).

But then it states DRLs must switch on and off when the engine is switched on and off.

Would be clearer if they had worded it along the lines of ....with the exception of the following. Or does not apply under the following circumstances..... ie handbrake on or transmission in park.

Last edited:
DRL activate automatically when the engine is started and remain on unless the headlamps are switched on. They may however remain off in some low speed and stationary situations. In general all other lights should remain off when the DRL are on but for a limited period some vehicles may be available which automatically activate the rear position lamps at the same time as the DRL.

DRL may be combined with other lamps. For example some manufacturers use the same lamp for both the DRLand position lamp. In these cases the DRL automatically dims to function as a lower intensity position lamp when the headlamps are turned on. DRL placed close to direction indicators may also automatically dim when the direction indicator is active. This is to ensure that the direction indicator is not masked by the light from the DRL.
Source: Gov.UK

Well I have been emailing Carista customer support and they are very responsive which is nice to find.
This is the latest email back, so hopefully there may be a option using Carista coming out in the future.

“Got the debug data, thanks. While we do have a Turn off daytime running lights when parking brake is on customization for Mk6 and Mk7-based cars, it looks like we don't have it for the Transporter. We'll investigate whether it's possible and we'll get back to you, once we know more. Thank you for your patience!

Regards,
Yanko Malinov
Software Developer @ Carista”

There’s an option to have no DRLs when parking brake is on, will achieve the same as you want and they will come on as soon as you remove handbrake
Where is this option please I have T 6.1 LWB and I can't find where to turn them off for camping Thanka AA

Where is this option please I have T 6.1 LWB and I can't find where to turn them off for camping Thanka AA
The option for T6.1 is in BCM Adaptations -
channel "ENG141647-ENG149104-Außenlicht_Front-Tagfahrlicht_Dauerfahrlicht_bei_Handbremse_abschalten"

Ok so I need some help regarding my light switch. I have
0 / auto / position / lights on.
These are the options on the switch.

My issue is that the computer is programmed so that I cannot totally turn off the lights.
So even when on 0, the position lights are on.

Can someone help me get back the lights totally off option via obd11?

There is an option for DRLs off with hand break applied that works on the LED light but you can’t drive about with them off.

Back