Drl Drivers Side Out

Robert Hallyburton

VIP Member
Hi All,

One of my DRL lights has been out for a few weeks. I have replaced the bulb and the bulb holder stalk and still isn't working. Managed to get hold of a replacement headlight and plugged this in using the loom from the vehicle and the DRL still doesn't work on this. Its a non LED

I saw a previous post about there maybe being a separate Drivers side DRL fuse so going to check them in the morning, but anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

If the previous lamp shorted out or the van sensed a fault with that particular point it will save/store a fault code and the BCM may have isolated it
If this is the case plugging it in and clearing the stored fault should restore power, you could try a ten minute battery disconnect first to see if that helps if not you can get a Carista unit for circa £10-15 that will connect to van and display/reset any fault codes

Of course keep in mind it could be physical issue like a broken or corroded cable or terminal somewhere or something could be faulty ?

Thanks, I'm beginning to think its a cable issue somewhere. I've cleared the fault codes and no luck. Might make a trip to the local auto electrician to see if power is getting to the connector. Thanks for your help

It’s a connection fault with the headlight. I took the bulb stalk out (pic attached) and cleaned up the connecting terminals and put it back in and it worked, for a couple of days!! Did the same again and it was fine for about 6 weeks. Did it again and it’s been ok for about 3 months. The issue is the actual headlight casing that the bulb stalk connects with so I ordered a second hand headlight which I’ve yet to fit.

26AA16CC-4326-40D8-88DA-E39FFFBEAB3F.jpeg

It’s a connection fault with the headlight. I took the bulb stalk out (pic attached) and cleaned up the connecting terminals and put it back in and it worked, for a couple of days!! Did the same again and it was fine for about 6 weeks. Did it again and it’s been ok for about 3 months. The issue is the actual headlight casing that the bulb stalk connects with so I ordered a second hand headlight which I’ve yet to fit.

View attachment 70169
Should add that I have replaced the bulb stalk and the fault still occurs.

That's the exact same thing that happened to me. I wondered whether it was something I damaged while trying to blindly put the bulb in the correct place?!
I haven't had the headlight out but can't the connectors on the headlight be replaced/fixed instead of replacing the whole headlight?

I ordered a replacement bulb holder/stalk from VW and when I received it, it wasn't exactly the same. It didn't have any connecting terminals but had 2 wires coming out the rear of the holder.
It makes me wonder if VW realise there is a problem with their headlights and the new holder bypasses the terminals but has to be wired in (to where I'm not sure).
It was definitely the correct part as I went back to VW to check.
I got my money back as I didn't know how to fit but I should have taken a picture of it first.

Here’s some photos of the back of the spare headlight I have with the bulb carrier (with bulb attached) removed. I still have the other bulb holder if you want me to send it to you to try out. I bought a new one but I don’t think the old one was at fault so would be worth trying? You can have it for free.

F034292D-DD94-40C3-B06B-CF3B29B0AE73.jpeg

52F8E66B-457E-4429-B9CA-326A721E8EE1.jpeg

9EBCF195-E084-4F1A-861B-6C19218EF107.jpeg

79AB55B2-167E-413E-BD8D-C1CC2DC1331C.jpeg

Thanks for the photos and I would really appreciate trying the bulb holder out. I think if that doesn't work I'll invest in some LED headlights.
I'll message you my address.

Back