Driving Licence Changes - Towing

From memory a T6 can tow 2500kg so based on that once the licence changes you'll be able to put 2000kg in the trailer.

That's my understanding anyway... o_O
You make a very important point - the changes aren't in force yet so people mustn't get carried away, if you're towing what you shouldn't you're not insured.

So.... I passed my Test on 1st November 2012 for example. I have a T6.1 T30 4M. I also have an Ifor Williams trailer that weighs 500kg and has a capacity of 3500kg.

In its simplest form, how many kg's can I stick in the trailer and be ok?? Every time I read the statements I get more and more confused.

Please help me folks! Thanks.
Taken from post #3 - a trailer over 750kg MAM, as long as it is no more than the unladen weight of the towing vehicle (up to 3,500kg in total)

In short, your loaded trailer must not weigh more than your empty van, so around 2000kg, therefore you can carry 1500kg on it. You'll need to check your vans V5 to be absolutely sure.

So.... I passed my Test on 1st November 2012 for example. I have a T6.1 T30 4M. I also have an Ifor Williams trailer that weighs 500kg and has a capacity of 3500kg.

In its simplest form, how many kg's can I stick in the trailer and be ok?? Every time I read the statements I get more and more confused.

When the law changes it will depend on the plated weights of your particular van. This is my T32 Kombi :-

3200kg is the maximum the van , on it's own, can weigh.
5300kg is the maximum gross train weight (with trailer.)
1- 1710kg is the maximum front axle weight.
2- 1720kg is the maximum rear axle weight.

I also have a 3500kg trailer, assuming I loaded it to the max (3500kg) then my van would have to weigh 1800kg or less to be legal. (5300kg in total) If the van was loaded to it's max of 3200kg then the trailer could only weigh 2100kg (again 5300kg in total) Volkswagen state a maximum trailer weight of 2500kg but that is their recommendation, not a legal requirement. As long as your vehicle complies with the weights on the plate as shown, then you're ok for private use. If used for business purposes then you would need a tachograph and operators licence for a gross train weight greater than 3500kg.

weights2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, currently your maximum towed weight is 750 kg but when (if?) they change then it's as @dubber36 says. That is, your trailer load must be equal to or less than your van unladen weight minus the trailer unladen weight. It will probably be around 1700 kg based on an unladen 4mo being around 2200 as a guess.

Been posting about this on other thread.... I sat and passed my B+E on Thursday last week.... Happy enough though as new rules which are set to come into play don't cover Northern Ireland!

When the law changes it will depend on the plated weights of your particular van. This is my T32 Kombi :-

3200kg is the maximum the van , on it's own, can weigh.
5300kg is the maximum gross train weight (with trailer.)
1- 1710kg is the maximum front axle weight.
2- 1720kg is the maximum rear axle weight.

I also have a 3500kg trailer, assuming I loaded it to the max (3500kg) then my van would have to weigh 1800kg or less to be legal. (5300kg in total) If the van was loaded to it's max of 3200kg then the trailer could only weigh 2100kg (again 5300kg in total) Volkswagen state a maximum trailer weight of 2500kg but that is their recommendation, not a legal requirement. As long as your vehicle complies with the weights on the plate as shown, then you're ok for private use. If used for business purposes then you would need a tachograph and operators licence for a gross train weight greater than 3500kg.

View attachment 129862
100% would recommend anyone to look at VIN plate or vehicle V5! My 7 seater X trail ended up being too heavy to legally tow my caravan! The max vehicle weight or GVW or something like that on 'Google' was nearly 300kg shy which put me over!

Little help with towing please guys.... Is the other thread, worth a read for anyone interested in towing chat lol!

Little help with towing please guys.... Is the other thread, worth a read for anyone interested in towing chat lol!
:thumbsup:

@Trident

You are a bit mistaken. You are correct in that you can have a gross train weight of 5300kg, so with the van loaded to the max, it can tow 2100kg. However, if the van is empty at say 2200kg, that doesn't mean that it can tow 3100kg because it is only rated to tow 2500kg. That's not an advisory, that's the law.

@Trident

You are a bit mistaken. You are correct in that you can have a gross train weight of 5300kg, so with the van loaded to the max, it can tow 2100kg. However, if the van is empty at say 2200kg, that doesn't mean that it can tow 3100kg because it is only rated to tow 2500kg. That's not an advisory, that's the law.

I’m not sure about that, I think @Trident is correct, it’s the plated weights that matter. I think the 2500kg is an approximation for the marketing material. Where is the 2500kg stated as a legal limit?

I’m not sure about that, I think @Trident is correct, it’s the plated weights that matter. I think the 2500kg is an approximation for the marketing material. Where is the 2500kg stated as a legal limit?

Oh, actually I think it does come straight from the plate but it’s actually the train weight minus the gross vehicle weight (i.e. it doesn’t matter how heavily the vehicle is loaded). This presumably means the 2.5T number is for a T28, i.e. 5.3-2.8=2.5 and the T30 would go down to 2.3T if the train weight is the same.

@Trident

No, it's not the law, it's VWs recommendation, The law is the Road Traffic Act and that quite clearly defines that 'plated weight' is all that matters. Nowhere on the VIN plate is there a 'towing' or 'trailer' weight. There is only a Gross Train Weight as required by the Road Traffic Act. As long as you do not exceed the relevant plated weights for axles, Gross Vehicle Weight and Gross Train Weight, and hold the appropriate driving licence, you commit no offence irrespective of what VW recommend. Cars, which are not required to have plated weights, are a different matter and exceeding the manufacturers recommended weights could result in prosecution depending upon circumstances.

Oh, actually I think it does come straight from the plate but it’s actually the train weight minus the gross vehicle weight (i.e. it doesn’t matter how heavily the vehicle is loaded). This presumably means the 2.5T number is for a T28, i.e. 5.3-2.8=2.5 and the T30 would go down to 2.3T if the train weight is the same.
If you look in the VW handbook, the variations in towing weights are linked to engine code, it's not a safety issue it's down to engine performance.

If you look in the VW handbook, the variations in towing weights are linked to engine code, it's not a safety issue it's down to engine performance.

Ok, but to get the maximum legal trailer weight, is it the max train weight minus the current actual vehicle weight or is it the max train weight minus the gross vehicle weight irrespective of how it’s currently loaded?

Ok, but to get the maximum legal trailer weight, is it the max train weight minus the current actual vehicle weight or is it the max train weight minus the gross vehicle weight irrespective of how it’s currently loaded?
As the law stands today the towing limits are based on max train weights, gross vehicle weights and licence restrictions. The actual weight counts for nothing other than that it shouldn't exceed the maximum.

With regards to overweight offences it's the actual weight of the vehicle, trailer and individual axles as measured on a calibrated weighbridge. Do those actual weights exceed the manufacturers plated weights, yes or no?
The other thing to consider is do you hold the appropriate licence to drive the vehicle in question? Which is where this thread started out. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm more confused now than I was a page ago

Are we saying if the van is plated at 5300 you could do the following...

Run a full van at 3200 and a trailer of 2100

Or

Run an empty van at 2200 and a trailer of 3100 (ignoring the 2500 vw thing for a second)

So for max trailer payload not ignoring vw then...

A trailer at 2500 and the van loaded to 2800? Is that right or do I need to go back to school :rofl:

Yeh that's right, it's the GVW that matters. The manufacturer towing capacity they give is a guide based on whether it can do a hill start on a certain gradient of hill.

Then there's the 80% "rule" for caravans which again is a guide that you should only go up to 80% of the vehicle recommended towing capacity, but again that's not law.

I'd be wary of going high with the weight of the trailer and an empty van though, you don't want the tail wagging the dog so you'd need to make sure the trailer is loaded well.

Anyone heard anymore about changes to category C? I read they started a consultation in Aug22 but not much other information seems to be about? Would be handy to be able to drive a 4.1t van.

Reactions: CAB
Back