Driving Licence Changes - Towing

Paynewright

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hi,

Not sure if its been posted already (I couldn’t find it) but the licence towing categories are being changed.

Basically, those who passed after 1997 no longer need to take an additional test to tow over 750KG.

Ian

Is this because they have now stopped all test for towing caravans/trailers to free up more HGV test slots?

Licences issued from 1 January 1997 to 18 January 2013​

If you passed your car driving test from 1 January 1997 to 18 January 2013, you can currently drive either of the following:

• a car or van up to 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM (up to 4,250kg in total)
  • a trailer over 750kg MAM, as long as it is no more than the unladen weight of the towing vehicle (up to 3,500kg in total)
You’ve had to pass a car and trailer driving test if you want to tow anything heavier.

Licences issued from 19 January 2013​

If you passed your car driving test from 19 January 2013, you can currently drive either of the following:

• a car or van up to 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM (up to 4,250kg in total)
  • a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg
You’ve had to pass a car and trailer driving test if you want to tow anything heavier.

That's promising as I have been looking to take the trailer test at some point. Obviously it still isn't quite the same for pre and post 1997 licences although adding an intermediate limit may reduce the number of disgruntled people who have just forked out for the privilege...
A 3500kg trailer MAM should cover most things.

They'll be sticking towbars and trailers on large vans now so anyone can make bulk deliveries to get around the HGV driver shortage.

Reactions: JOG
Obviously it still isn't quite the same for pre and post 1997 licences although adding an intermediate limit may reduce the number of disgruntled people who have just forked out for the privilege...

I was thinking that. My lad is 17 and will be doing his B+E soon. One of his mates has just paid £500 to get his licence.

I think there should be some sort of training tho'. I saw a bloke in a Volvo V70 with an empty car transporter trailer on the M62 yesterday. 70+mph, frequently in the outside lane, cardboard number plate and with the LED trailer lights pulsing away all the time. He either was oblivious to the laws, or thought they didn't apply to him

I was thinking that. My lad is 17 and will be doing his B+E soon. One of his mates has just paid £500 to get his licence.

I think there should be some sort of training tho'. I saw a bloke in a Volvo V70 with an empty car transporter trailer on the M62 yesterday. 70+mph, frequently in the outside lane, cardboard number plate and with the LED trailer lights pulsing away all the time. He either was oblivious to the laws, or thought they didn't apply to him
I suspect that he's the type that would behave like that regardless of any training.

Hi,

Not sure if its been posted already (I couldn’t find it) but the licence towing categories are being changed.

Basically, those who passed after 1997 no longer need to take an additional test to tow over 750KG.

Ian
Really good news, I wish they'd up the weight limit too so I can get a bigger van without doing the additional test!

Really good news, I wish they'd up the weight limit too so I can get a bigger van without doing the additional test!

Even if they only upped it from 3.5T to 5.5T, that would be very useful. In most cases, e.g. the crafter, it would be exactly the same size vehicle, you could just have a decent payload.

I suspect that he's the type that would behave like that regardless of any training.

Yeah, the type that always gets away with it, yet you or I put a wheel in a bus lane and all hell breaks loose.
Yet another consequence of no visible policing.

I did wonder if any of the trucks dash cam footage (I'm sure quite a few will have recorded it) will get sent to the authorities, or maybe youtube.

Even if they only upped it from 3.5T to 5.5T, that would be very useful. In most cases, e.g. the crafter, it would be exactly the same size vehicle, you could just have a decent payload.
Exactly that :thumbsup:

Cheaper road tax too!

Last edited:
So.... I passed my Test on 1st November 2012 for example. I have a T6.1 T30 4M. I also have an Ifor Williams trailer that weighs 500kg and has a capacity of 3500kg.

In its simplest form, how many kg's can I stick in the trailer and be ok?? Every time I read the statements I get more and more confused.

Please help me folks! Thanks.

From memory a T6 can tow 2500kg so based on that once the licence changes you'll be able to put 2000kg in the trailer.

That's my understanding anyway... o_O

Back