DPF - Regeneration duration error

Kaph

VIP Member
Hi.
Got a faultcode on my car today.
23967 - diesel particulate filter
P2458 00 - Regeneration duration.

have just changed the engine over for a new one, and only driven about 150km.
i have tried a service regeneration, it goes like normal, revs up and keeps revving while it says running in the vcds, but it have been standing for that for like an hour but it does not seem to regenerate the filter.
looked at the ash mass, looks to be like 32g.
cant erase the fault, and cant seem to get it to force regeneration, any suggestions?

had a faultcode earlier for exhaust gas temp sensor 2, but it is not currently there.
attached a full scan from vcds.

Attachments

• Log-WV1ZZZ7HZGH113392-96730km-60105mi.txt
    12.9 KB · Views: 11
Which one you tried
a) IDE00471-Service regeneration of particle filter​
or​
b) IDE01637-Service regeneration of particulate filter while driving​
The latter was tried here​

Please post also an engine blockmap (engine idling)

VCDS > Applications > Controller Channel Map

1660763171947.png

Click "Go" - when finished (approx. 70 seconds) there will be file blockmap-01-... and in folder C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Logs\....

Hi, thank you for your reply.
i tried both, but the driving one only for about 15mins after getting engine to 90degrees.
tried the standstill one like described over for about 50-60minutes, without result.
also now after a little driving the light for the dpf went out, but still can not delete the faultcode.

Here is the blockmap attached.

Attachments

• blockmap-01-04L-906-056-KF_WV1ZZZ7HZGH113392-20220817-2233.CSV
    124.8 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: mmi
Hi, thank you for your reply.
i tried both, but the driving one only for about 15mins after getting engine to 90degrees.
tried the standstill one like described over for about 50-60minutes, without result.
also now after a little driving the light for the dpf went out, but still can not delete the faultcode.

Here is the blockmap attached.
Thanks. The engine is still in the middle of DPF regeneration (see IDE00420 below - will read 0 when completed). Perhaps the DPF regen need to be finished before the fault clears.

1660841758325.png

Perhaps you could try if just normal driving triggers an finishes the DPF regen. No need to rev the engine or anything special - just keep van moving.
Would be interesting if you could log the following:

Engine > Advanced Measuring Values
Tick "Group UDS requests" - by 7 (enhances sampling rate significantly)
Tick the following parameters

IDE00021 Engine RPM​
IDE00085 Normed load value​
IDE00420 Service regeneration: current duration​
IDE00430 Particle filter: field regeneration request status​
IDE00431 Particle filter: field regeneration lock status​
IDE00434 Particle filter: soot mass calculated​
IDE00435 Particle filter: soot mass measured​
IDE00594 Absolute intake pressure​
IDE01407 Particle filter: fuel consumption since last regeneration​
IDE04090 Exhaust temperature bank 1​
IDE07744 Particle filter: air pressure sensor 1 bank 1: raw value​
IDE09017 NOx sens.dwnstrm.SCR cat conv: NOx conc.​

Click Log - Start

Eventually Stop logging etc.
The logfile will be in folder ...VCDS\Logs

In a few minutes you should see a change in "IDE00430 Particle filter: field regeneration request status"​
At approx. 7 minutes "IDE00434 Particle filter: soot mass calculated" should start decrease. At 6 grams DPF regeneration will finish - request status changes and duration resets to 0.​
Should take about 30 minutes to finish (7 minutes to heat up, 20+ minutes to actually regenerate the DPF)​
EDIT: Attached a VCDS preset file for the measurement setup above (remove .TXT extension - needs to be .u01 -extension)

Attachments

• dpfregen.u01.txt
    120 bytes · Views: 4
Last edited:
Thanks. The engine is still in the middle of DPF regeneration (see IDE00420 below - will read 0 when completed). Perhaps the DPF regen need to be finished before the fault clears.

View attachment 169297

Perhaps you could try if just normal driving triggers an finishes the DPF regen. No need to rev the engine or anything special - just keep van moving.
Would be interesting if you could log the following:

Engine > Advanced Measuring Values
Tick "Group UDS requests" - by 7 (enhances sampling rate significantly)
Tick the following parameters

IDE00021 Engine RPM​
IDE00085 Normed load value​
IDE00420 Service regeneration: current duration​
IDE00430 Particle filter: field regeneration request status​
IDE00431 Particle filter: field regeneration lock status​
IDE00434 Particle filter: soot mass calculated​
IDE00435 Particle filter: soot mass measured​
IDE00594 Absolute intake pressure​
IDE01407 Particle filter: fuel consumption since last regeneration​
IDE04090 Exhaust temperature bank 1​
IDE07744 Particle filter: air pressure sensor 1 bank 1: raw value​
IDE09017 NOx sens.dwnstrm.SCR cat conv: NOx conc.​

Click Log - Start

Eventually Stop logging etc.
The logfile will be in folder ...VCDS\Logs

In a few minutes you should see a change in "IDE00430 Particle filter: field regeneration request status"​
At approx. 7 minutes "IDE00434 Particle filter: soot mass calculated" should start decrease. At 6 grams DPF regeneration will finish - request status changes and duration resets to 0.​
Should take about 30 minutes to finish (7 minutes to heat up, 20+ minutes to actually regenerate the DPF)​
EDIT: Attached a VCDS preset file for the measurement setup above (remove .TXT extension - needs to be .u01 -extension)
I will try This in the weekend, but as you probably could see from the log file i sent the exhaust temp sensor 2 is not showing the right values, so i think i need a new one anyway, is there any etk catalouges Where i can find the part Number?

Reactions: mmi
I will try This in the weekend, but as you probably could see from the log file i sent the exhaust temp sensor 2 is not showing the right values, so i think i need a new one anyway, is there any etk catalouges Where i can find the part Number?
Ahh.. now I see -40C :eek:. The sensor might be critical for the DPF regeneration...

I have used site

Select Free Services > CarProg2 >
Navigate to

1660847264960.png

1660847427782.png
1660847457249.png

Thanks for all the help.
I changed the egt sensor 2, and needed to do a forced regen.
all Good for 2 days, now i Get the check engine lamp and fault on sensor 1..

Also it got a strange problem with what seems to be the coolant temp sensor, if i start with cold car, i can only run for about 5 mins, then it says check coolant, and i never get temperature reading, but if i stop and let the car sit for 10 mins When it is hot, all is Good and the temp Reading is normal Again.
No faultcodes on This fault.

Even in Australia it can take 5 to 10 minutes of driving before temperature appears on display, engine has to get to about 60c degrees .

Back