2017 204 - DPF Filter at 60g soot above 50g forced regen limit

Its a bit of a pain, the fault we have is

P046C00 EGR Sensor 'A' Circuit Range / Performance

Where is the sensor A located ?? is it one of the 2 sensor probes on the egr cooler assembely , or does it relate the the EGR valve actuator, the part that actualy moves the egr valve open and shut

there are VW TPI's service points about this code, like i posted above, saying in effect to just ignore it, only if it does not appear with other codes

The code itself does not cause a engine light on event, but the question is will it stop the van from doing dpf regens , leading back to a blocked dpf filter and sooted up egr all over again

i will give the van a good test drive tomorrow to see if the other codes pop up pointing to egr flow etc

Reactions: mmi
I'd run it for the next 100 miles keeping an eye on your soot levels every 30 miles or so. If the van eventually does a regen and you don't get an EML then at least your original DPF issue is fixed. If the soot level climbs to 40 then it may be time to look at the EGR again. Good luck.

i have a strange feeling i have the exact same fault these guys are refering to in depth about the egr actuator, when i took the egr apart, upon shaking the actuator module, i could hear some sort of rattle, i thought this was normal

EGR Sensor 1 and Sensor 2

maybe i should flip off the small plastic cover to try to see the egr valve in action, but like these guys have said, even if its a bit out its going to throw the errors

so does anyone no if the egr sensor 'A', is in fact inside the egr valve motor housing on a circuit board like described

@Fluff34567 it did not take that long a good half a day , mostly messing about trying to get at the fiddly bolts, some you need like baby hands or double jointed fingers to get to

i have got it all back together now, purchased a few new bolts and gaskets from tps it all came to roughly £100 ish to do it all in, including the new cooler which i sourced on ebay , ( trying to clean the old cooler out would take days flushing )

i did start it up and run it awhile to check for leaks etc, will double check everything tomorrow

the egr fault code P046C is still there, i was hoping that on clearing it it would not return on the next on/off cycle, but it has
Loz wrote something that the fat is spurious and should be ignored. @Loz where did you get that info ?

Loz wrote something that the fat is spurious and should be ignored. @Loz where did you get that info ?
My VW master tech friend told me that some errors say ‘implausible’, and those are when the software is not correctly understanding the value of the sensor and vw advise is to ignore them if they persist as that gets fixed in future updates.

i have been testing the van and am now at 100 miles after refitting the egr assembly

i still have the P046C00 code on the van, but the other code relating to the flow threw the egr valve has not came back , as yet (touch wood)

also on a 10 mile run i came back and all the fans where running fast after i turned the van off, so i think the regens are now taking place as it should be, so it looks like the P046C00 code is not stopping the van doing regens

i will put the computer back on it and get some more readings about the soot values, time since last regen etc hoping its all fine now

i guess i need to do a few hundred more miles in it to confirm , 1) no codes pop back up, 2) the van is doing regens again

i was quoted over £1200 for this job to be done, i can see way a person would want that much as it is a time consuming process. In the end so far, i'm only into it around £150 to flush out the dpf and clean up and replace the cooler part on the egr assembly

i should have replaced the egr actuator part (£190 new on ebay) as well as replacing the cooler part (£90 for the new repair kit on ebay) , i think would have cured the P024C00 code

very good to know - would you have the part numbers available for us that would like to tackle this in the future ?

Its still been running fine, touch wood, around 200 miles since fixing it and there is no return of the egr flow error poping up

The van seems to be doing regens as when i return from random drives , the fans are running after turning the van off, indicating a regen in process i guess

The part number on the egr cooler repair kit is

04L198512​

s-l1600-22.jpg

i picked mine up cheap , and looking on ebay you can still get these for £75-£90

even tho the repair kit was new, it was dated 2018, so maybe there old stock, not sure why vw charge 550 for a complete egr assemby

Sorry if this was covered but I didn’t see it (and can’t find it anywhere else)..
is it possible to reset the calculated soot mass value? I’ve got the fault light with calculated 55g but measured 17g and it won’t do a regen forced or otherwise, I’m assuming because the calculated value is above 50g?

Sorry if this was covered but I didn’t see it (and can’t find it anywhere else)..
is it possible to reset the calculated soot mass value? I’ve got the fault light with calculated 55g but measured 17g and it won’t do a regen forced or otherwise, I’m assuming because the calculated value is above 50g?
Yes, I believe beyond 50 grams (calculated) the DPF regeneration is inhibited - because of safety reasons (risk of uncontrollable soot burn).

Curious how did you come into the high soot level situation?
  1. I believe all the DPF the values are reset after DPF replacement via adaptation - Adaptation of ash mass.
  2. In the basic settings there is a procedure - Adaptation of measured soot value.
  3. Also in the adaptations is a setting - Blocking of particle filter regeneration.
However, I have never used any of the above yet, so I have no details of their effect.

By any chance, do you have VCDS - would be interesting to see details what engine thinks about the situation?

Yes, I beleive beyond 50 grams (calculated) the DPF regeneration is inhibited - because of safety reasons (risk of uncontrollable soot burn).

Curious how did you come into the hiigh soot level situation?
  1. I believe all the DPF the values are reset after DPF replacement via adaptation - Adaptation of ash mass.
  2. In the basic settings there is a procedure - Adaptation of measured soot value.
  3. Also in the adaptations is a setting - Blocking of particle filter regeneration.
However, I have never used any of the above yet, so I have no details of their effect.

By any chance, do you have VCDS - would be interesting to see details what engine thinks about the situation?
Because I’m stupid :rolleyes: … I believe it is because I have been planning to drop the fuel tank so have been keeping the tank fairly empty till I get round to it, not realising it prevented the regen!

I do have VCDS, recently purchased and not much of an idea what I’m doing with it but trying to learn :unsure:

These are the only photos I’ve taken of my findings so far…

82D1B8F9-0F74-4D29-BF25-8E59E1CBD2B2.jpeg6825E152-47D5-4D40-AFEB-00FAA02AA064.jpeg

I do have VCDS
Excellent!

1) Please post an Auto-Scan - just use default options (Auto-detect etc.). It will be saved in folder C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Logs

2) Please post adaptation ja blockmap files from engine

VCDS > Applications > Controller Channel Map >​

1668972027213.png
Tick the boxes as above and click Go

VCDS flashes screen for approx. two minutes. When finished click Done, Go Back and there will be files blockmap-01-... and adpmap-01-... in folder C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Logs\...

Excellent!

1) Please post an Auto-Scan - just use default options (Auto-detect etc.). It will be saved in folder C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Logs

2) Please post adaptation ja blockmap files from engine

VCDS > Applications > Controller Channel Map >​
Tick the boxes as above and click Go

VCDS flashes screen for approx. two minutes. When finished click Done, Go Back and there will be files blockmap-01-... and adpmap-01-... in folder C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Logs\...
Ok! :oops: I’ll do my best and get back to you ASAP! Will that say why it has happened or just what problems it has caused?

Ok! :oops: I’ll do my best and get back to you ASAP! Will that say why it has happened or just what problems it has caused?
I guess the low fuel might be the main contributor - but it's only when fuel light in dash is on which inhibits DPF regeneration. I'm not exactly sure what we can extract from the files - I have quite a bunch of "good" maps to compare so definitely we'll see why the engine is currently unhappy.

Anyways, we can try to estimate how much the DPF regeneration is overdue - some of the values are seen on your pictures, e.g. time and distance but there are more e.g. fuel used (turned to soot) since last regeneration. As the calculated soot is only "slightly" above 50 gram limit there might be a low risk possibility to run the DPF regeneration - by tricking the soot values.

it won’t do a regen forced or otherwise
Just curious as on the picture VCDS states "Running | Hold brake pedal and accelerator pedal" - did you put down brake and accelerator to start the regen, or did it abort?

I guess the low fuel might be the main contributor - but it's only when fuel light in dash is on which inhibits DPF regeneration. I'm not exactly sure what we can extract from the files - I have quite a bunch of "good" maps to compare so definitely we'll see why the engine is currently unhappy.

Anyways, we can try to estimate how much the DPF regeneration is overdue - some of the values are seen on your pictures, e.g. time and distance but there are more e.g. fuel used (turned to soot) since last regeneration. As the calculated soot is only "slightly" above 50 gram limit there might be a low risk possibility to run the DPF regeneration - by tricking the soot values.

Just curious as on the picture VCDS states "Running | Hold brake pedal and accelerator pedal" - did you put down brake and accelerator to start the regen, or did it abort?
Nice! Well I look forward to seeing what you discover when I get you the info, any help is very much appreciated!

My reserve light had been on for about 3 months, I’d only been putting in £20 at a time :rolleyes: . Put half a tank in and it’s now nearly back on the reserve cause I’ve been driving around trying to get it to work..

I attempted the stationary regen. Had brake & accelerator down for about 10 minutes till it eventually stopped revving and did no more… it also didn’t say anything.
Then tried the regen while driving. Drove for about 40 minutes, high revs, the measured mass went down and the calculated mass up and it still says it hasn’t done a regen :cry:.

if your dpf is 'FULL' up past the allowed max , do not force a regen as this probably will set your van on fire

The only option i found when my dpf was clogged up not allowing regens was to actual take it off and do a flush of it

this brought the soot level down enough to allow the automatic regen process to kick in again as usual

by the way, if you have a fully blocked dpf, you probably have a blocked egr assembly as well, take a look at that as well

if your dpf is 'FULL' up past the allowed max , do not force a regen as this probably will set your van on fire

The only option i found when my dpf was clogged up not allowing regens was to actual take it off and do a flush of it

this brought the soot level down enough to allow the automatic regen process to kick in again as usual

by the way, if you have a fully blocked dpf, you probably have a blocked egr assembly as well, take a look at that as well

In my case it was just the calculated that was over, the measured was still low. This was because I’d kept the fuel low for so long but still driving it, it wouldn’t regen so it thought it should be higher than it was…
I reset the calculated to the same as the measured, cleared the fault light and took it for a drive. It’s now done the regen and levels are all low :thumbsup:.
Saved a bit of money I’m guessing thanks to this forum and @mmi :D

Last edited:
Would anybody local to J12 M40 with VCDS be able to forcing a regen despite "calculated" soot values being over the magic 60g value, or telling the vehicle it has had a new DPF etc?

I am aware this limit is set for a reason and don't have the kit to do it myself but have had the DPF foam cleaner treatment to reduce the measured soot value down to some 20g.

Unfortunately we were unaware that a glow plug wiring issue which has since been resolved was causing the vehicle to skip regen.

The vehicle only had a new DPF 4 YEARS, 40K miles ago under warranty so obviously avoiding a replacement would be nice.

If anybody can help obviously in return for payment, it would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Steve

Alternatively, perhaps I'd be better investing in VCDS, but no idea of the costs associated? I currently have CARISTA but obviously won't do the trick.

Back