DPF Regen Frequency / Issues / Force discussion.

... evviva, ora funziona, grazie del consiglio .... usando la versione gratuita indica i grammi di fuliggine nel dfp e da quanti km ... credo sia abbastanza

cheers, now it works, thanks for the advice .... using the free version indicates the grams of soot in the dfp and from how many km ... I think that's enough
I’m glad it worked for you. At least now you can see how the DPF is working.

I’ve had a play with VAG DPF to get a better idea what is happening with regens. I logged the stats and then put it in a graph.

You can see it takes a while for the DPF to get up to temp, over 500c it starts burning off soot but then at 600c it burns off in a flash. This particular regen was probably the fastest my van has ever done, perhaps connected to the fact that I kept the revs over 2000 rpm to try and get the exhaust temperature up fairly quickly.

My fuel economy drops off a cliff while the van regens from 34mpg to 28mpg so I like to get the regen done quickly where poss and not drag it out over multiple short journeys. It’s better to get it done in 3-4 miles rather than suffer bad fuel economy for 20-30 miles made up of short trips that don’t let the cycle complete.

For vans which are in regen a lot or vans with general bad fuel economy I would encourage anyone to have a go with VAG DPF, if you’ve got Carista you just need to download the app on an Android phone or tablet for £4.

View attachment 88903

View attachment 88904
Just realized that I haven't seen before the software your ECU has - 04L 906 056 KM
1603478029437.png
I have a few questions -
- do you have DSG or manual,
- do you have 4Motion,
- Is the beginning of the VIN WV1... or WV2...?
Just to double check that the engine is 150PS CXHA as in your screenshot?
- I'm assuming the ECU has not been updated in 2019-20 as there seems to exist a newer revision (5954 -> 6186)
1603478197182.png

Just realized that I haven't seen before the software your ECU has - 04L 906 056 KM
View attachment 89047
I have a few questions -
- do you have DSG or manual,
- do you have 4Motion,
- Is the beginning of the VIN WV1... or WV2...?
Just to double check that the engine is 150PS CXHA as in your screenshot?
- I'm assuming the ECU has not been updated in 2019-20 as there seems to exist a newer revision (5954 -> 6186)
View attachment 89048

My van is on a 66 plate so I think it is a 2017 model year. It’s a 150ps 6spd manual 2wd Shuttle. I had it Revo mapped at Bognor Motors so maybe that has also updated some software revision? The VIN starts WV2. The build sticker under the steering column shows it as CXHA.

My van is on a 66 plate so I think it is a 2017 model year. It’s a 150ps 6spd manual 2wd Shuttle. I had it Revo mapped at Bognor Motors so maybe that has also updated some software revision? The VIN starts WV2. The build sticker under the steering column shows it as CXHA.
Thank you very much! Just collecting piece by piece T6 software configuration :geek:
The model year is coded in the VIN, e.g Model Year 2015 VIN is WV2ZZZ7HZFH0xxxxx.
2014 = E
2015 = F
2016 = G
2017 = H
2018 = J
2019 = K, etc

Thank you very much! Just collecting piece by piece T6 software configuration :geek:
The model year is coded in the VIN, e.g Model Year 2015 VIN is WV2ZZZ7HZFH0xxxxx.
2014 = E
2015 = F
2016 = G
2017 = H
2018 = J
2019 = K, etc
I’ve got an H on the VIN in that position, so it is a 2017 model year. Thanks.

Reactions: mmi
.. non è in argomento, ma quanti Ah Carista consuma? ... puoi lasciarlo sempre collegato alla presa? .. Grazie

Well my engine light is on again. Code for blocked egr valve again. Was only flushed 5 weeks ago

• Wow
.. non è in argomento, ma quanti Ah Carista consuma? ... puoi lasciarlo sempre collegato alla presa? .. Grazie

. is not on the subject, but how many Ah Carista consumes? ... can you always leave it connected to the socket? .. Thank you
Current draw of Carista is 40 mA - so consumes approx. 7 Ah/week. It's about the same as quiescent drain of the van itself. So not a problem if van is used weekly, but a month without charging battery would be challenging.

... 40 milliAh .... abbastanza..per fortuna la mia pancia mi permette di togliermi la Carista quando non la uso..1000 grazie

Hi all, I have a 2016 Caravelle 150bhp DSG that has 45k miles on the clock. I bought it second had 18months ago when it had 28k miles on it. The previous owner (he had it from new) did lots of short journeys from what I gather and with COVID lockdown this year, that's the type of driving we have been doing. I'm finding that the dpf regen is happening 3-4 times every tank, regen gets triggered every 125miles - 155miles or so and regen takes about 20mins each time. Trouble with all the short journeys is that this often gets interrupted and the fuel consumption every tank is terrible. When I know regen is ongoing, we usually (when we can) extend the journey until it finishes but it's becoming a real pain. I have Carista (thanks to this forum) and I've been keeping an eye on the Oil Ash residue over the last 18months - a few months after I bought it, the reading was 17.21 (16%) @ 31k miles. Now it's 25.69 (23%) at 45k miles so I guess the dpf regen is doing it's job and there is lots of life still left in the DPF. Would I be correct in thinking that it's safe enough up to 40% without having to worry about forced regens and possible dpf replacement?
My biggest issue is the constant hassle of having to extend journeys unnecessarily buy up to 15-20mins. It's driving my wife demented having to do this when she's under time pressure. Even though I like the Caravelle a lot, I'm seriously considering selling it on and was thinking of a 2018 Ford Tourneo Custom (130bhp or 185bhp) or a Merc v class (V250) but I'm worried I'll end up with the exact same problem with dpf regens on those as well. Does anyone happen to have any experience of those? Thanks.

I think you will likely see the same issues with all makes, to be honest.
You can finish the regen whilst stationary at a fast idle if need be.

Hi all, I have a 2016 Caravelle 150bhp DSG that has 45k miles on the clock. I bought it second had 18months ago when it had 28k miles on it. The previous owner (he had it from new) did lots of short journeys from what I gather and with COVID lockdown this year, that's the type of driving we have been doing. I'm finding that the dpf regen is happening 3-4 times every tank, regen gets triggered every 125miles - 155miles or so and regen takes about 20mins each time. Trouble with all the short journeys is that this often gets interrupted and the fuel consumption every tank is terrible. When I know regen is ongoing, we usually (when we can) extend the journey until it finishes but it's becoming a real pain. I have Carista (thanks to this forum) and I've been keeping an eye on the Oil Ash residue over the last 18months - a few months after I bought it, the reading was 17.21 (16%) @ 31k miles. Now it's 25.69 (23%) at 45k miles so I guess the dpf regen is doing it's job and there is lots of life still left in the DPF. Would I be correct in thinking that it's safe enough up to 40% without having to worry about forced regens and possible dpf replacement?
My biggest issue is the constant hassle of having to extend journeys unnecessarily buy up to 15-20mins. It's driving my wife demented having to do this when she's under time pressure. Even though I like the Caravelle a lot, I'm seriously considering selling it on and was thinking of a 2018 Ford Tourneo Custom (130bhp or 185bhp) or a Merc v class (V250) but I'm worried I'll end up with the exact same problem with dpf regens on those as well. Does anyone happen to have any experience of those? Thanks.
@Kierand I thought it was only beta recently that could show soot levels, but not been using it long.
Anyway, I can confirm that with beta you can trigger a successful regen when you want to. It's way better to do it on a journey as at idle it just drinks the juice. Make sure you have over 1/4 tank of fuel in or it will be inhibited.

@Robert, please can you share how?
I also have Carista beta so would be good to see if the info from both aligns.
Thanks
Go to Engine, then Advanced Measuring Values and you could check few extra by the way.

IDE00432 Particle filter: time since last regeneration
IDE00434 Particle filter: soot mass calculated
IDE00435 Particle filter: soot mass measured
IDE00436 Particle filter: kilometers since last regeneration
IDE01407 Particle filter: fuel consumption since last regeneration
IDE01922 Vehicle distance driven
IDE05493 Air cleaner degree of soiling
IDE06059 Particle filter: oil ash volume

Credit to @mmi

Go to Engine, then Advanced Measuring Values and you could check few extra by the way.

IDE00432 Particle filter: time since last regeneration
IDE00434 Particle filter: soot mass calculated
IDE00435 Particle filter: soot mass measured
IDE00436 Particle filter: kilometers since last regeneration
IDE01407 Particle filter: fuel consumption since last regeneration
IDE01922 Vehicle distance driven
IDE05493 Air cleaner degree of soiling
IDE06059 Particle filter: oil ash volume

Credit to @mmi
@Robert
Advanced Measuring Values is new to me on my steep vcds learning curve, but I will check it out.
Thank you

Back