Smaller tyres for 20” wheels

benndy1

VIP Member
Hello,
It has been asked many times but can’t find a response to my specific dilemma.

If I swap 275 x 40 for 255 x 50 or 55’s will the ride be better and are there any other advantages? I’m looking to get a better ride as the priority.

Thanks
T30 owner

Last edited:
That’s already oversize. You can fit no bigger tyres. Smaller wheels with a higher profile would be the only way to do this.

What suspension are you running ?

lowered by 30mm, HR springs. Sounds like I can’t get a comfier ride then unless I change wheel size or unlower the van!

lowered by 30mm, HR springs. Sounds like I can’t get a comfier ride then unless I change wheel size or unlower the van!
Changing the suspension would be the best bet.
Speak to CRS/Van Cave/Bognor etc and search the suspension posts on this forum.

Changing the suspension is a better way of improving the ride than fitting smaller wheels with bigger profile tyres. The right suspension can make a world of difference.

You could then change the tyres to a better (smaller) size too and still be much more comfortable than you are now.

Suspension will be causing most of your issues as mentioned above.

I went from 18" amaroks with 235/50/18 tyres and Stance+ coilovers, to 20" wheels with 225/40/20 and Solows and the ride is night and day better!

I went from 18" amaroks with 235/50/18 tyres and Stance+ coilovers, to 20" wheels with 225/40/20 and Solows and the ride is night and day better!
SoLow was a great choice! The new expanded range is brilliant throughout. Each kit rides superbly.

Did you mean 255/40/20 rather than 225/40/20 ??

Back