Do you stand on your wheels to get to the roof? How low did you go?

Danny1964Boy

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I have sports kit I put on the roof. I stand on the back wheels to strap stuff onto the roof rack. I want to lower the van but don’t know how low I can go and still stand on the back wheel. How low have you gone in this situation?

I have sports kit I put on the roof. I stand on the back wheels to strap stuff onto the roof rack. I want to lower the van but don’t know how low I can go and still stand on the back wheel. How low have you gone in this situation?
i can just stand on the wheels
4D0B93E3-63B4-45B4-A71D-D50A7037DC22.jpeg

I stand on my tyres with stock T32 / 17”, I haven’t got Hobbit feet but I wouldn’t like to put my feet into a gap much smaller.
Potential ankle breaker if you come down unexpectedly.

I think that’ll cause some damage eventually, resulting in the door not latching properly? I don’t know, but I wouldn’t want to risk it.
and i dont want to risk slipping off a tyre and breaking my ankle when my foot stays in the wheel well and i go to ground.

you think it'll casue some damage, but i guess you havent bought one and evaluated it yourself?

and i dont want to risk slipping off a tyre and breaking my ankle when my foot stays in the wheel well and i go to ground.

you think it'll casue some damage, but i guess you havent bought one and evaluated it yourself?
If you are concerned about the risk of slipping off a tyre, then this device may not be for you, as the size of it is not a great deal wider than an 8inch tyre. You’d be safer with a hop-up style step.

I’ve not bought one so have not evaluated it, and wouldn’t for the reason that it seems daft to risk ruining my van.
But I can say that, having changed out the barn-doors for a tailgate, the latches don’t appear to be built to bear weight, particularly on a section of slim metalwork that probably isn’t engineered for holding the weight of the door but rather preventing it from being pulled/pushed open.

Let us know how you get on with it @bytejunkie

If you are concerned about the risk of slipping off a tyre, then this device may not be for you, as the size of it is not a great deal wider than an 8inch tyre. You’d be safer with a hop-up style step.

I’ve not bought one so have not evaluated it, and wouldn’t for the reason that it seems daft to risk ruining my van.
But I can say that, having changed out the barn-doors for a tailgate, the latches don’t appear to be built to bear weight, particularly on a section of slim metalwork that probably isn’t engineered for holding the weight of the door but rather preventing it from being pulled/pushed open.

Let us know how you get on with it @bytejunkie
im not trying to get into an argument but some of the stuff you're coming back with needs to be corrected.
re the strength of the metal. are you aware of how strong b pillars are expected to be in an accident. the impact test is a 1.5 tonne car at 30 mph. whilst thats an impact, and its at a different anlge, the point im making is actually the sheet metalwork is expected to be very strong.

I've had mine for 3 years, no issues on 3 different vehicles.

im not trying to get into an argument but some of the stuff you're coming back with needs to be corrected.
re the strength of the metal. are you aware of how strong b pillars are expected to be in an accident. the impact test is a 1.5 tonne car at 30 mph. whilst thats an impact, and its at a different anlge, the point im making is actually the sheet metalwork is expected to be very strong.

I've had mine for 3 years, no issues on 3 different vehicles.
Me neither, nor am I saying it’s fact that it’ll bend the metalwork - I’m just giving you my opinion, hence the words ‘think’ and ‘don’t know’.

I don’t fancy putting 14 stone through a couple of bolts is what I’m getting at

Me neither, nor am I saying it’s fact that it’ll bend the metalwork - I’m just giving you my opinion, hence the words ‘think’ and ‘don’t know’.

I don’t fancy putting 14 stone through a couple of bolts is what I’m getting at

they're either M8 or M10, i dont have time to take one out and i can't find etka.
you ought to be able to assume 10.9 class material for a steel bolt in an automative application. but the figures i found online are for 8.8.

For example, a grade 12.9 bolt will not snap until every square millimetre of the bolt cross section is carrying a load of at least 120 kg. Similarly a grade 8.8 bolt will not snap until it is carrying a load of 80kg per square millimetre.

cross section of an M8 is 36mm. so 36 * 80Kg. and there is two of them.

and thats for a force at right angles to the thread which this wont be, itll be a shallower angle.

they're either M8 or M10, i dont have time to take one out and i can't find etka.
you ought to be able to assume 10.9 class material for a steel bolt in an automative application. but the figures i found online are for 8.8.

cross section of an M8 is 36mm. so 36 * 80Kg. and there is two of them.

and thats for a force at right angles to the thread which this wont be, itll be a shallower angle.
It’s not the bolts snapping that I’m concerned about, it’s the bending of the metalwork they sit in.
That and the fact that the latch must be at least a metre high in the first place :D

How do you get up to the roof to wash it?
This works for washing the roof of the van at home:
Not so good for getting access to roof rails etc when you're away.

Back