Do night-heaters admit fumes?

I agree with @rod_vw, I think in certain wind conditions the heater fumes can be smelt in the van and I thought before that it must come in the gas dropout under the sink which is quite close to the heater exhaust. It’s only a wiff on 1 or 2 occasions but I remember thinking it was a little ironic that the gas dropout was letting fumes in!

Doesn’t matter! You are absolutely correct to highlight the need for a carbon monoxide alarm....much more important than a smoke alarm in a van. At least you can smell smoke!
Unfortunately your sense of smell is turned off when you sleep for some strange reason! You wont smell smoke.

Unfortunately your sense of smell is turned off when you sleep for some strange reason! You wont smell smoke.
How comes then when the little p***k next door goes out the back at 2 in the morning to smoke a joint it wakes me up:sleep:

Hi I’m trying to decide do I get a diesel heater in my Kombi or do they admit fumes, any other cheaper options
Only from the exhaust outside, not in the van. Sometimes people say they can smell fumes but this is the back draft from the under vehicle exhaust blowing in when window or door is open or through any other hole in your van.
We fit them all the time and they are great.
Cheers
Ian :thumbsup:

an extra £790 fitted dose this price seem about right
Depends on how and where it's fitted. You will smell the heater, especially when new, as most materials will give off smells as the get very hot. There's the noise to be aware of too - the 'heavy breathing' of the air moving around and the ticking of the full pump. As has been said before, these are all gentle reminders that you're not freezing your whatnots off :p

Have a Webasto fitted to my van. Use it a lot and its brilliant. Definitely need a CO alarm and I strongly recommend a smoke alarm. I've fitted mine on Velcro so I can take them out when I'm not camping.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a diesel heater fitted and mentioned it to a friend who said they don't use theirs as it smells and they worry about ventilation. Sounds like they could do with getting it checked out, but how much of a smell is considered normal?

Is it Diesel or exhaust gas they can smell?
Inside or outside of the van (with the doors and windows closed)?
What type of heater?
Just to add that they should have an active carbon monoxide alarm and a fire alarm in the van.

Back