Do night-heaters admit fumes?

Mikey m

Hi I’m trying to decide do I get a diesel heater in my Kombi or do they admit fumes, any other cheaper options

Webasto in mine, it's under the drivers seat rather than under the van.

No fumes. :thumbsup:

Used Webasto on our old motorhome for years in all sorts of places and never smelt a thing even when a van was 2/3 metres away they never complained.

The combustion process takes place outside the van. You need to careful with where the exhaust vents, so that it doesn’t come back into the van (or into someone else’s close by).

Pete

They are fine but can be neglected don’t forget these have serviceable gaskets and the combustion chamber gasket does break down over time and use, personal approach for these is to alway exterior mount where possible

CO2 and smoke alarm highly recommended regardless of the heater. It’s a very small volume of free air inside a packed van, even a smouldering burn will create a high percentage of toxic gases in a small space.
We put them in our homes which have a much larger air volume but not many consider the hazard of sleeping in an small enclosed steel box.

Always had CO2 and smoke alarms fitted to our motorhome, worth the small expense.

Seems reasonable. I paid about that for a Webasto with digital programmer on my conversion.

CO2 and smoke alarm highly recommended regardless of the heater. It’s a very small volume of free air inside a packed van, even a smouldering burn will create a high percentage of toxic gases in a small space.
We put them in our homes which have a much larger air volume but not many consider the hazard of sleeping in an small enclosed steel box.
Always had CO2 and smoke alarms fitted to our motorhome, worth the small expense.
CO alarms not CO2 alarms
Carbon Monoxide is considered life threatening dangerous at 1500 parts per million, Carbon Dioxide at 80,000 parts per million.
Try not to get the two mixed up.

Carbon Dioxide is Co2.
Carbon Monoxide is Co.
The biggest threat is Carbon Monoxide, the silent killer. In post 9 you said CO2 alarm, it's not, it's a Co alarm that you have provided the link to, I think that's what Grim Reaper is referring to and he'll correct me if I'm wrong.

Great advice, especially the CO monitor. It truly is the silent killer. CO2 is what we breathe out! (Sorry @DXX - I couldn’t resist pulling your leg there!)

Reactions: DXX
CO alarms not CO2 alarms
Carbon Monoxide is considered life threatening dangerous at 1500 parts per million, Carbon Dioxide at 80,000 parts per million.
Try not to get the two mixed up.
Listening to too much climate change debate!!! Thanks for the correction.
It’s the farts that’ll get me before CO or CO2 anyway

Listening to too much climate change debate!!! Thanks for the correction.
It’s the farts that’ll get me before CO or CO2 anyway
Doesn’t matter! You are absolutely correct to highlight the need for a carbon monoxide alarm....much more important than a smoke alarm in a van. At least you can smell smoke!

Most folks smell the diesel heater inside their vans. In my opinion this comes in via gas drop-out vents and again in my opinion it is simply a smell not any significant amount of fumes.

Doesn’t matter! You are absolutely correct to highlight the need for a carbon monoxide alarm....much more important than a smoke alarm in a van. At least you can smell smoke!
Unfortunately there’s fumes that’ll kill you that you can’t smell and smoke doesn’t wake you up. Don’t believe the TV / Film industry bollox where people run into a burning house and come out a minute later with the cat.

Back