DIY Awning

The Mrs has been hard at it on the sewing machine today and sorted the Kador strip on the tarp. It’s finished but I’ll put a pic up tomorrow when I can get it on the grass and pegged out. I don’t want to risk a pole hitting the side of the van.

Few pics for an idea.

27FFE897-B6A1-47F7-89E5-61E15A19E84A.jpeg

A9E09CCB-D556-4165-9248-A34C40A8676B.jpeg

DE5C6937-299F-4236-A838-DF527E326703.jpeg

I’m on with this at the moment. Bought a tarp that comes with poles, strings and pegs.

35 - Hiking - Tarp Fresh Camping Shelter

And a 3m length of sew on Kador strip. Plan is to sew the strip on 1 side and slide it into the Reimo Rail.

I got the tarp yesterday but it needs to go back as there’s a tear in it.

I’ll post some pics when it’s done.
Did you ever make this work?

Just exploring similar options

I’ve been thinking about making a mini awning which protrudes about 1m from the side of the van, running from the B pillar to the rear of the van. Really just enough to protect the open door and doorway when raining.
My partner is a bit of an expert with her sewing machine so I just need to build a stable frame and fixing method. I’m planning on going down the suction cup and bendy tent pole route at the moment.
The bit I haven‘t found a solution for is the sealing method for attaching to the roof`.
Has anybody else built anything along these lines?

Did you ever make this work?

Just exploring similar options
Hope you don't mind me butting in here, but Funky Leisure Debus Sun Canopy (made by Vango) has Kador connection, and awning pole pole eyelets half way out as well as at outer edges. Should be possible to pitch with short porch and one wall. We haven't tried that out yet, but looks feasible. It might be too big for your purpose though as it 2.4m at van connection and 2.9m at outer edge. It is 3m in length. Lots of colours to choose from including black, or natural in the poly cotton type fabric,.

Hope you don't mind me butting in here, but Funky Leisure Debus Sun Canopy (made by Vango) has Kador connection, and awning pole pole eyelets half way out as well as at outer edges. Should be possible to pitch with short porch and one wall. We haven't tried that out yet, but looks feasible. It might be too big for your purpose though as it 2.4m at van connection and 2.9m at outer edge. It is 3m in length. Lots of colours to choose from including black, or natural in the poly cotton type fabric,.

I've actually just bought a limited edition stitches and steel awning with carbon poles. It's not quite what I was looking size wise, but perfect for my t3 day trips.
The Debus would work well but I'm trying to find one that's 3x3.5/4m 3m along the van lwb. Quite liking the natural look canvas it brings a nice old school vibe.

I'll add some pics once I've got it.

I've actually just bought a limited edition stitches and steel awning with carbon poles. It's not quite what I was looking size wise, but perfect for my t3 day trips.
The Debus would work well but I'm trying to find one that's 3x3.5/4m 3m along the van lwb. Quite liking the natural look canvas it brings a nice old school vibe.

I'll add some pics once I've got it.
Always good to see pics.......
The poly cotton one is rather nice and only slightly heavier.

It's one of these lovelies.

It's one of these lovelies.
Oh that looks good! I thought that they had sold out.

Ah, ok.....let me know if you know of another please :)
Yes sorry, it was eBay. Literally had a random look last night and there it was only just listed.
If it's of no use to our setup your more than welcome to 1st dibs if you want.
(Very unlikely but you never know)

Yes sorry, it was eBay. Literally had a random look last night and there it was only just listed.
If it's of no use to our setup your more than welcome to 1st dibs if you want.
(Very unlikely but you never know)
Ok, yes, do please keep me in mind.....meanwhile - enjoy!

Back