Awning modification

EAN

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I‘d like to improve my Vango Agora awning by improving the seal along the bottom edges of the doors.
It wasn’t great in windy conditions.
Last season I used extra awning clamps and even magnets between the raised floor threshold and the outer tent doors, which improved things, but was a faff: Lots of extra pegs and magnets weren’t easy to line up and tended to slip sideways.
Im thinking of permanently adding a series of press stud fasteners horizontally just above the bottom of the doors and to the raised floor threshold so I can secure them together.
Does this sound ok, or bonkers?
I can’t sew at all and I believe Velcro won’t stick.
Any good ideas?

It's the 3 larger doors on the main awning that are the problem.
Ideally I'd like to be able to zip along the bottom edges, but I don't have the skill to pull that off, so looking for what I might be able to achieve.

It's the 3 larger doors on the main awning that are the problem.
Ideally I'd like to be able to zip along the bottom edges, but I don't have the skill to pull that off, so looking for what I might be able to achieve.
our vango palm is the same big door at the front has no zip but its not a problem because that model has not got a sewn in groundsheet so any water that did get in would soak into the ground but yours so i read has sewn in ground sheet so if the door does blow in when its raining its a problem
Does it not have small velcro strips along bottom of door and the upstand to keep it all together
If not I would sew a few along the length of both pieces to keep the door overlapping the upstand

Reactions: EAN
No it has nothing along the bottom of the door and that’s exactly what I’d like to do; keep the groundsheet up stand and bottom of door together. Problem is sewing is beyond me, which was why I was potentially looking at press studs.

Before you start punching holes for press studs try stick on velcro with this double sided tape 3 years ago i stuck a mat to the sliding door step and its never moved

Dont try and do the whole width of the door they normally have 3 or 4 5omm strips spaced out

If you want to secure to the van body I would choose sucker cups rather than magnets. The single cups are quite expensive compared with a pair of double cups as used to lift sheets of glass or floor tiles.

If you want to secure to the van body I would choose sucker cups rather than magnets. The single cups are quite expensive compared with a pair of double cups as used to lift sheets of glass or floor tiles.
I think EAN has problems with the bottom of the awning doors not having zips along the bottom so they flap about and cause problems

Reactions: EAN
Got some pics?
Not my pic, just found an image, but basically the bottom of the tent doors are only secured by a tie down each side and one in the middle.
The inner sewn in groundsheet has raised thresholds (they can toggle down), but there is no connection to the doors.
i fold the outer door flap under the groundsheet, but when it’s windy it just tends to lift and then the weather blows in between the bottom,of the door and the threshold. I’ve used additional awning clamps and pegs to better tie down the outer door, but it’s a hassle. Need to find a way to secure the inner groundsheet threshhold to the door.

IMG_0898.jpeg

Before you start punching holes for press studs try stick on velcro with this double sided tape 3 years ago i stuck a mat to the sliding door step and its never moved

Dont try and do the whole width of the door they normally have 3 or 4 5omm strips spaced out
@Bargy62 Will buy some and see if it sticks.

No problem with the tunnel area and connection to the van. It’s the wind getting between the bottom of the doors and the groundsheet in the main awning that I want to stop.
I tried using magnets in an attempt to secure them together: It works to a degree, but its a complete faff and they do tend to slide apart in higher winds.

Back