Different offset on same axle

D

Deleted member 40417

Hello, picked up a T32 a few weeks ago, come to change the brakes after having new tyres fitted and noticed that one of the 20" alloys fitted is different to the other 3 on the van. They're 8.5" all the way round and correctly load rated so that's the same, however one has an offset of 35 rather than 42 on the rest. The mismatched alloy is on the front at the moment. There also doesn't seem to be a brand on the alloys that I can see front or back so hard to order one to replace.

IMG_3241.jpg

Annoyingly already had tyres fitted and away for a week next week, what issues will the offset difference cause if any? Am I better swapping it to the back and match the front up or just scrap the lot and get a full new set?

Thanks

Short term I wouldn’t worry about it too much as it’s only 7mm but long term I would want to sort it out.

Is there nothing stamped on the back that you can work out a manufacturer or brand name from?

Cheers for that, will be one to sort after my trip down south next week then.

Will take one of the correct alloys off tonight and have another look for manufacturer markings, but from memory there was only wheel specs stamped.

We used to get wheels machined to modify the offset, that could be an option to bring one 42 wheel down to 35

They're definitely not Supermetal Tridents.
Are you sure it is actually the wrong offset (ie. does it actually stick out more?) not just stamped up wrong? I did have a set of wolfrace wheels where one was stamped up differently but when measured was same as the others.

If it is wrong then I'd be tempted to put it on the rear with a 5 or 10mm spacer on the opposite wheel (or even a 10mm on the et35 one and a 15mm on the opposite wheel).

Not sure what issues running different offsets on the same axle brings though.

They're definitely not Supermetal Tridents.
Are you sure it is actually the wrong offset (ie. does it actually stick out more?) not just stamped up wrong? I did have a set of wolfrace wheels where one was stamped up differently but when measured was same as the others.

If it is wrong then I'd be tempted to put it on the rear with a 5 or 10mm spacer on the opposite wheel (or even a 10mm on the et35 one and a 15mm on the opposite wheel).

Not sure what issues running different offsets on the same axle brings though.
Upon closer inspection your correct, but definitely look like calibre excile R. Screenshot_20220504-184921_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220504-185056_Chrome.jpg

Tried bringing up with the seller waiting on a response to see what they can do or if they know the manufacturer of the alloy

Yeah not managed to pin down to a brand at all so far, with them being 8.5" that rules the supermetal tridents out and VW I think. The calibre don't due a wheel suitable for the T32 either, only up to 815KG. The 3 similar wheels are stamped at 950KG whilst the odd one is stamped at 1100KG.

Could possibly be a case of the offset being stamped up wrong, what would be the best way to measure to check if the same?

Anyone know if running a spacer only on one side would cause any issues at all? Can't think why it would

To check them, place a straight edge across the inside edges of the wheel and measure down to the mounting face. If laying down prop up the tyre on a bit of wood or lay on the grass so as not to damage the wheel face. Sometimes the ET number (off-set) is cast into the wheel too.

I know of one example where the same wheel casting is used on different models of Caterhams but machined differently to adjust the offset. The casting marks are the same.

I wouldn't he happy having one odd wheel with a spacer - I'd rather try and source a matching wheel.

To check them, place a straight edge across the inside edges of the wheel and measure down to the mounting face. If laying down prop up the tyre on a bit of wood or lay on the grass so as not to damage the wheel face. Sometimes the ET number (off-set) is cast into the wheel too.

I know of one example where the same wheel casting is used on different models of Caterhams but machined differently to adjust the offset. The casting marks are the same.

I wouldn't he happy having one odd wheel with a spacer - I'd rather try and source a matching wheel.

That's great thanks for that, I will give this a go tomorrow and see what the result is.

I did wonder on the casting as where it has been stamped with ET35 it is very poor and hard to read, fingers crossed it's incorrect and one less thing to change!

Back