4Mo: with or without Diff Lock?

“Better looking at it, than looking for it”
I was thinking about loosing a couple of things so I could get the parking heater. But a heater can be retro fitted and in the meantime I own loads of coats. If I ever got stuck (which is very likely) and had no diff lock I’d be kicking myself.

Good choice. I think mine has helped a couple of times. I'm about to order a new van following an accident (which is a write off I think) and will order again.

I can’t wait to get mine, I’ll feel much better this winter in a 4Motion Transporter than I will in a rwd sprinter. Not that long ago I was parked next to a Boxster on a wet field. He drove off and I just sat there spinning. Sprinter is a great van for the road but as soon as you’re off the tarmac forget it.

Hi. after getting my 2019 swb 4 motion stuck bogged down on a wet piece of grass

do you know if the electronic diff lock can be retro fitted ? Not sure if that would have helped but worth an ask. VW never mentioned it was an option when I bought it till after the event.

715A5807-3DA0-40FA-85DD-5B201B549158.jpeg

This has come up before, I got my 4-Mo and the rep never told me it was a £500 option which was annoying to say the least.

And pretty sure it can't be retro-fitted, or at least not easily.

This has come up before, I got my 4-Mo and the rep never told me it was a £500 option which was annoying to say the least.

And pretty sure it can't be retro-fitted, or at least not easily.

dealer told me it’s now £600 cost option 1st bit of tricky work and it let me down. On the bright side it drove fine on the wet grass till it stopped and sunk

I agree, I don't think you can retro - fit a diff lock, at least not without major work and expense.
The right tyres on the other hand are far easier......
I'm on muddy fields at least once a week, never had a problem, no diff lock.
You also have to remember that a diff - lock helps, it is not a "get out of jail" card that always stops you getting stuck. Old style defenders with mechanical diff locks can still get stuck. If there's no traction you aint moving!

20200219_132829.jpg

Last edited:
I agree, I don't think you can retro - fit a diff lock, at least not without major work and expense.
The right tyres on the other hand are far easier......
I'm on muddy fields at least once a week, never had a problem, no diff lock.
You also have to remember that a diff - lock helps, it is not a "get out of jail" card that always stops you getting stuck. Old style defenders with mechanical diff locks can still get stuck. If there's no traction you aint moving!

View attachment 62223
Very true about the tyres

to be fair the ground has had 4 months of solid rain so Prob wasn’t my finest hr driving on it.
Safe to say customer not impressed and all the other trades pissing themselves laughing at me. was thinking on the diff if it had been fitted it might have bit in better just to get moving again. As it was happy driving on the grass. Was hoping it was already wired and we could slip in the switch and get the ecu re programmed.

Trouble with driving on grass is it all looks the same, but what's under it can be the problem, I've a feeling that the soil under that grass wasn't capable of holding the weight up and probably only mud tyres would have got you out. And none of us want the on road characteristics of full on mud tyres.
I got a cherry picker stuck on grass on an industrial estate years ago, made a massive mess, the other trades loved my embarrassment, next week somebody else did something equally stupid and my mistake was forgotten! :x3:

If you have the DSG box you could to try use this +/- selector ...drop in to second ( or low gear)and try to avoid too many rev’s....it’s a lesson I learnt not too long ago.
But if your sunk. Tray car mats ( they can be cleaned later) :thumbsup:

If you have the DSG box you could to try use this +/- selector ...drop in to second ( or low gear)and try to avoid too many rev’s....it’s a lesson I learnt not too long ago.
But if your sunk. Tray car mats ( they can be cleaned later) :thumbsup:

Mines a manual but yes I tried using different gears and rocking. Almost had it but the guys helping push were bit pathetic and would rather watch in the dry. Yup jet washing this inside today.

I’ve done bit more research and it’s an expensive retro fit of whole new rear diff with some mechanical bits in it. and wiring plus ecu reprogram. £600 from factory option doesn’t sound to bad now. Just wished they had mentioned it. Thanks for all your replies

I have this retrofit on my todo list.
A Used Diff with LockingMechanism and the other parts i already got.
Just need time and good weather to do it
When it is done i will post some pictures.

I have this retrofit on my todo list.
A Used Diff with LockingMechanism and the other parts i already got.
Just need time and good weather to do it
When it is done i will post some pictures.

I'm not aware of anybody else retrofitting a diff lock so I'm sure a lot of people will be interested to see how you get on. :thumbsup:

If some one is ordering a new 4Motion T6 then it may well be worth buying the rear axle diff-lock. It is very good value compared to retro fitting from parts at a later date. That is if the parts are available it might be down to finding a vehicle that is being broken up. If there was a choice I would like something like the early Quatro, They used the Ferguson system of gears. Similar to Quaife ATB Limited Slip Differential - Power Into Motion - Trusted by OEMs Quaife would be my first choice now, if one would fit. They allow differential action but react quickly to slippage and provide better traction on bends, where a locked differential is problematic.

1. Switch in the dash
2. Mechanical unit attached to diff.
with another controller connected to CAN bus.

It is a long way for me :D :thumbsup:.

Reactions: mmi
Back