4motion - Manual Or Dsg ??

I'm just up in wales in my 180 4motion manual.
Just done a drive right through the mountains and did some Mooreland tracks . I loved the manual box always feels in control and sure footed .
Before I bought this van I drove a 4motion dsg and really didn't like it. Found it soulless and a bit like a dodgem to drive but could have just been that one .
I've towed our twin wheel caravan and had to back it through a wet field this year , definitely needed the diff lock so glad I waited to find one with it.
Drive both see what you think but either way 4motion all the way . Just to have that option of heading off down a track if you want to

I have a dsg 4Motion and love it.
I'm doing 40k a year on motorways then off road pulling trailers at least twice a week. The manual box will always be better or let's say more flexible if you're off road but each gearbox has its pros and con . Overall, given my needs dsg every time.
As others have said, the dsg does seem to make some strange decisions but you will get used to them to the point where you know what's going to happen and adjust the revs to compensate. I have 1 particular road that the gearbox changes down to 2nd as it thinks I need engine braking....I don't so just accelerate hard for a split second and it goes to 4th....perfect.
When I'm towing a few ton off road i use the dsg in manual anyway. Dsg does not like reversing heavy trailers, especially if you're a shuffler! Constant speed and revs it's fine. Dsg would love a low box though !
If theres anything specific you want you know I may have been in the situation so ask away.

Thanks for that. Won't be towing anything, so no worries there :)

I'm just up in wales in my 180 4motion manual.
Just done a drive right through the mountains and did some Mooreland tracks . I loved the manual box always feels in control and sure footed .
Before I bought this van I drove a 4motion dsg and really didn't like it. Found it soulless and a bit like a dodgem to drive but could have just been that one .
I've towed our twin wheel caravan and had to back it through a wet field this year , definitely needed the diff lock so glad I waited to find one with it.
Drive both see what you think but either way 4motion all the way . Just to have that option of heading off down a track if you want to

Good idea. Might just have to hire both and try for myself. Expensive way to choose a van though, lol ;)

whats the reliability like on the DSG ?? Any known issues ?? More DSG boxes going wrong compared to manuals ??

cant really answer that as i dont have one but my garage says theyre good but very expensive if they do go wrong.

Back