It wouldn't be any less unethical if you removed it now - you funded Putin's war machine at the point of purchase. :fast rofl: (joking!)
We had no beef with Russia when I bought it and installed it.....
How far should ethicality (is that a word?) apply? Although thinking about it, I avoid Argentine products as much as I can since The Hand of God.....!!

Moving on, the next thing I'm looking at is the diesel heater.

Reading between the lines it looks like mounting the heater externaly, but above the underbody plastics is the way to go.( To save seatbase space for electricals)

And that taking the fuel feed from the main tank makes more sense.

I like the OEM look where the cool air inlet is from the drivers foot well step, and the hot air outlet is on the lower b pillar.

I like the various options of timers, remote on,/off etc, but it not a deal breaker.... I loved @Eli OEM Cali option with the roof display panel and remote control.

And that @czmate1999 has a sim card system for remote monitoring?... Does it have an app?

Appart from that.... I have no idea.

So what are people fitting,? Running?

What is the OEM option?

What's a decent unit to look at?

What would you do differently if you done it again?.

#####

I'm hearing names like webastow,?
Erberspratcher,?
Chinese cloan,?

Over to you guys.
Yup, it has an app. It allows remote / timer based operation And shows your location. :)

We had no beef with Russia when I bought it and installed it.....
How far should ethicality (is that a word?) apply? Although thinking about it, I avoid Argentine products as much as I can since The Hand of God.....!!
I'm sure there's a joke in there about it being Argentina that have the beef and Russia just have the gas... anyway, a cynic would say that ethics only apply until it is politically expedient for them to not.

My unethical Planar heater nearly cooked me in the South of France this summer when a Camping chair inadvertently contacted the on-off switch on the controller one night.
The moral for @Dellmassive is be careful about controller placement within your set up.
Mrs SMC just thinks is was a really warm night as I haven't got the balls to tell her....

Yup, it has an app. It allows remote / timer based operation And shows your location. :)
Whats the make and model?

Can you post some pics and controller plus app screenshots?

Last edited:
We hats the to make, mode.

The App is easy to use, it basically sends a string of alphanumerics to the controller and then it replies with what the heater is doing.. I plumped up for the Comfort controller and its great to use. The other one (Pu5 is the basic one)

Screenshot_20220929-074440_Autoterm Control SMS.jpg

ComfortController.JPG

Pu5.JPG

Reliability wise they are on a par, they are both well made with many years of experience in the market. I only work with Webastos as a retirement occupation so restrict myself to them as I don't want to build up a big legacy for my kids to sort out when I pop my clogs. ( It will be bad enough with what I have now!) Quality - they are much the same.
VW swing between the two, sometimes fitting Eberspächer sometimes Webasto. T5s had the Webasto Air Top 3500ST but have gone with Eberspächer for the T6 retaining Webasto for the coolant heater. T3s had Eberspächer air heaters and Webasto coolant heaters also. I think they just try to even out the sales between the two companies.
Do you have an option on the autotern planar kit?

They seem popular,

Any idea how they compare to webastow and erberspratcher?

So can we say we have 4 main players?.

Webastow
Erberspratcher
Autotern planar
Chinese cloan.

?

5 players - the MV Airo is made by Mikuni who are a Japanese manufacturer since the 1920s. It appears to be a direct copy of Webastos with every component the same! The older basic Mikuni heaters used to be a common fitment in yachts.
Personally I would not touch Planar with the Russian associations even though they have supposedly relocated out of Russia.
That leaves 3 players with credentials that stand up to scrutiny.
Webasto
Eberspächer
Mikuni.

Chinese heaters are out for me - I would not trust the safety accreditation at all.
Russians are out for obvious reasons.
The Mikuni MV Airo would appear to be intellectual theft unless there is some sort of licencing happening in the background.

5 players - the MV Airo is made by Mikuni who are a Japanese manufacturer since the 1920s. It appears to be a direct copy of Webastos with every component the same! The older basic Mikuni heaters used to be a common fitment in yachts.
Personally I would not touch Planar with the Russian associations even though they have supposedly relocated out of Russia.
That leaves 3 players with credentials that stand up to scrutiny.
Webasto
Eberspächer
Mikuni.

Chinese heaters are out for me - I would not trust the safety accreditation at all.
Russians are out for obvious reasons.
The Mikuni MV Airo would appear to be intellectual theft unless there is some sort of licencing happening in the background.
Thank you for your honest and valued option.

I think after concidering the above and liking @Eli and @Deaky offering, the OEM erberspratcher may be the option for me.

What's the specific model I'll be looking for:
DL2?
T6 External mount kit?
T6 Fuel pick up?

Install company in the SE that fits erberspratcher?

These guys were very helpful when we were looking at converting.

Unit 34,
Henfield Business Park Shoreham Road
Henfield
West Sussex
BN5 9SL

From their price list.
Webasto Air top 2000 diesel heater inc.rotary control £916.67 £1,100.00
Webasto 7 day timer digital controller upgrade £70.83 £85.00
Autoterm diesel heater inc. digital comfort controller £791.67 £950.00

Whats the make and model?

Here are the details:

Webasto 2000stc Heater With Digital Control and ThermoConnect

App images:
745C2F43-DDFC-43AD-BEA9-41F24120B16F.jpeg
26B44336-4910-475D-BF36-C20CCD0DEF95.jpeg

You can specify the “Factory “ vents fitted to a Cali
The intake is fitted to the step and sits fairly flush to the vertical face
The outlet is fitted to the B pillar at about the same height at the seat Squab.

if you want some photos of the factory vents let me know.

The controllers can either be fitted as Factory in the centre roof courtesy light Console or you can have a different style of digital controller fitted elsewhere.

You can specify the “Factory “ vents fitted to a Cali
The intake is fitted to the step and sits fairly flush to the vertical face
The outlet is fitted to the B pillar at about the same height at the seat Squab.

if you want some photos of the factory vents let me know.

The controllers can either be fitted as Factory in the centre roof courtesy light Console or you can have a different style of digital controller fitted elsewhere.
Pics would be great.

Here you go, these can be retrofitted as part of the install, instead of the standard Round vents

9A0F860E-4346-452B-B3AE-71A9699B194F.jpeg

EFCB7D72-9EC8-4AA3-B3F7-A02C347DFF25.jpeg

B3260EF4-DA0C-41D5-BA9D-A5723308E853.jpeg

56F895AB-05D3-4F70-8CDD-2B7A869D2347.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have the OEM B-pillar vents for my Webasto (petrol) heater. However, I do feel that the rear one is somewhat blocked by the fitted furniture in my van. It’s only low level storage (beside a California seat), but extends far enough forward to prevent the drivers seat from rotating a full 180 degrees. I was offered the option of the heater exit being placed under the drivers seat, but thought that OEM would be neater. Of course, Californias have their furniture on the passenger side, so it’s not an issue for them. Doh!

So consider what obstructions you may end up with in front of the heater outlets.

Back