D+ or Engine Run Signal for DC - DC charger.

Travellingtaff

Hi All, I'm a new member to this forum and my problem is how to pick up a suitable engine run signal to activate the DC to DC charger. A couple of members suggested a new post but they did say that I could pick up a 12 v o/p from the central fuse box. However I have no idea which fuse and how I could make a connection to take of the +12 volts. Grateful for any help....TIA

And what cabling/leisure system do you have in already, or are you starting from scratch?

Starting from scratch....Pretty up to sped with the electric installation, helping my friend build the panel but its just this D+ feed to the charger I need to find.

So you have a fused high current feed in from the starter battery? If not it's much easier to put the ignition signal in at the same time while you have the floor up.

The easiest way is to get one of the fuse taps like this

576436?w=1240&h=960&qlt=default&fmt=auto&v=1.jpg

You should place it in the orientation as noted by @Deaky in this post to ensure the original and new fuses are in the right circuits:

In the dash fusebox the upper half of the centre column should be ignition switched. If there is an empty one you could use that as there is a common positive bus bar and the fuse tap will work, even without the other connection, and this will not disturb any existing circuits.

(If you want a very neat job you could install the socket in an empty fuse way and avoid using the tap, but that's more fiddly)

I'd double check with a multimeter at this point that you have an ignition switched feed to save confusion later on.

You should then be able to run a signal cable to under whichever seat you are installing your charger following the cable loom under the floor.

Back