Cycle rack with spoiler and trailer

Rownster

Hi all, I have a t6 with tailgate and looking for a cycle rack for a couple of bike while towing. I have a roof spoiler and don’t want to roof mount, the tow ball is detachable. Is there anything on the market available?

thanks

Towbar bike racks will work on detachable towbars (we’ve only ever had detachable!) They are weighty things though!

You are going to need the VW tailgate mounting bike rack, as you can’t use the towbar if you are towing.

Pete

• Haha
Reactions: JOG
What are you towing? If it's trailer, I'd mount roof bars on top of that to carry the bikes. If it's a caravan, I'd carry them inside, well secured and wrapped in bedding.

I had a Witter bike rack on my last vehicle, but it had a fixed tow bar which the bike rack plate fixed behind, main problem is that you cannot access tail gate or barn doors with rack fitted.

I had a Witter bike rack on my last vehicle, but it had a fixed tow bar which the bike rack plate fixed behind, main problem is that you cannot access tail gate or barn doors with rack fitted.
Yeah it’s a detachable towbar so can’t be mounted

Hi @Rownster .. Not sure what you tow..but we decided to get a trailer that could be used as bike carrier...May no suit your needs but Thule do some clever mount ideas.....Camping life got too big for the van ...it was either buy a trailer or leave the wife at home :whistle:

B60AC2CB-D337-43A4-8141-050C7970B80D.jpeg8346F30B-FEEE-4D02-BDED-75A3F17AA56B.jpeg
We have added a pull out awning to give some flexibility

Hi @Rownster .. Not sure what you tow..but we decided to get a trailer that could be used as bike carrier...May no suit your needs but Thule do some clever mount ideas.....Camping life got too big for the van ...it was either buy a trailer or leave the wife at home :whistle:

View attachment 109867View attachment 109868
We have added a pull out awning to give some flexibility
Looks good..., we tow a caravan and don’t want to put muddy bikes in there

That'll add loads to the nose weight, meaning more weight will be needed towards the rear of the caravan, which is less than ideal. I suppose at least with a van as the tow vehicle, that can be loaded with more stuff to keep the caravan as light as possible.

Back