CV Joint / Driveshaft Grease Leaking - Help?

mrkwats

Hi Guys

2020 T6 150 T28 16k miles - had a new Dual Mass Flywheel and Clutch fitted under warranty 4 weeks ago. Was washing the van yesterday and noticed loads of grease has been flicked up from either from the N/S Inner CV Joint/Boot or where the driveshaft attaches to the gearbox. Please see pics. I’m assuming this is as a result of the work involved in fitting the new DMF and Clutch, and then putting everything back together again…

Dealer cannot fit me in for 3 weeks, which I’m working on. Just wondering how serious is this, can I drive it, could it be simply residual/excess grease from where driveshaft spline fits in gearbox? I’ve not got under the van as recovering from shoulder surgery, but from what I can see I don’t think the CV boot has a leak? But could be wrong!

Thanks, Mark.

FCD1246B-EE5E-4449-9E43-BF21955A365B.jpeg

70C064D0-EFEA-45AC-87A6-0A1F0C83A7FC.jpeg

65B508A3-0B90-41AD-BEAF-DEF2E2D0F5E1.jpeg

Looks very much like the c.v. boot has split or slid out of place. I've no doubt this will have been done when you had the work done, hopefully VW will see it this way. I wouldn't be driving it too far as it is, in fact I would be tempted to call VW assist and let them deal with recovery.

Thanks for the reply Gavinda. I was hoping it wasn’t that serious, so I’m now quite worried. I’m going to drive it (carefully) to the dealership first thing tomorrow. They’re 15 miles away, so not too far.

If VW have damaged the boot on the previous DMF repair push for a complete joint / boot replacement.
There is no guarantee that the existing CVJ will be clean and it’s hard to determine how well it has been lubricated.

Hi .. as @rover220 said…. Dealers don’t Carry many courtesy vehicles…..but via the assist system the mechanic will recover your vehicle to nearest dealer ( if it’s unfit to drive) and arrange via the likes of Eurocar a vehicle to get you going…..when my X3 was off the road I was given M sport 440 for two weeks… had loads of fun :inlove:

Ahh, thanks guys, really appreciate the advice. I don’t need a replacement vehicle as we have a spare car in the family. I hope I don’t regret this, and going to drive it in carefully (15 miles) to the dealer first thing. Will keep you all posted!

Last edited:
Hi Guys, drove van to dealership this morning. All checked over, safe to drive they tell me, as boot is only sweating, despite quite a bit of grease flicked around the area. Booked in week after next for a new CV joint, all on warranty.

Master Tech said they probably “caught it” during the DMF and Clutch replacement 4 weeks ago.

If I do drive in meantime then it will be careful and not far just to be sure. (It’s a Day/Leisure van).

Cheers Mark.

Hi Guys, drove van to dealership this morning. All checked over, safe to drive they tell me, as boot is only sweating, despite quite a bit of grease flicked around the area. Booked in week after next for a new CV joint, all on warranty.

Master Tech said they probably “caught it” during the DMF and Clutch replacement 4 weeks ago.

If I do drive in meantime then it will be careful and not far just to be sure. (It’s a Day/Leisure van).

Cheers Mark.
A bit more than ‘sweating’ I think, good you have the warranty but clear that they must have dragged that drive shaft about to get the gearbox out.

I’d agree, it’s “your van in their hands”. But I’m pleased it’s getting a new CV joint, as who knows how much grease has been lost and whether the existing joint is compromised. They’ve quoted 1.7hours for the job, so it’s a while I wait appointment.

Reactions: DXX
Managed to get van booked in tomorrow at dealership, as we’re going on holiday soon, and just wanted it sorting. Took another picture, and it’s not the gator/boot that’s leaking but rather the metal casing. Strange but getting replaced tomorrow.

A366A1F4-FF51-411D-8126-C33FBB2730AB.jpeg

That did cross my mind tbh. Also look at the first pic in my original post, there’s more marks, and I kind of thought these marks were standard chamfers!!!!
Gonna mention this to the dealership tmo, as highly likely they did this as part of new DMF and Clutch 4 weeks ago!

thanks, Mark.

My advice is not to let the same clown that caused that damage anywhere near your van again.

Dealers charge higher labour rates than your little independent garage, it must be because they really put the effort in when beating your transmission components half to death.

Well, it doesn’t rain, it pours!!!! Got van back, after reiterating clean all grease, road test and check. Having worked (laptop) out of the main dealer since 8am I drive the van away just after 2pm. Got home (15 miles/30 mins) and thought take a picture. New part looking great, but!!!!!!! Outer CV boot now leaking CV joint grease, and quite a bit. Couldn’t believe it, honestly, immediately drove back (15 miles), by which time I’d calmed down a bit. They’ve given me a courtesy van and said it would be fixed tomorrow (they’ve identified a split in the boot). I’ve told them that I want to check the van on the ramp before I drive away, plus I might seek some form of compensation (bad workmanship has now resulted in 4 trips to the dealers!), but will sleep on this.
Rant over

05B45385-D9ED-4BFD-BE09-A28EB15DE9C9.jpeg

1F130C4F-F548-462C-8E0D-5E68047A064F.jpeg

Lets have a name and let others avoid if possible.
After the first "mistake" (if having only one tool, a club hammer, is a mistake) they should have made a real effort to get the repair carried out properly in order to salvage any faith you might have had in them. That's just shoddy and if I lived locally I'd want to avoid them.

Hi Guys. I'm going to see how they redeem themselves today, it's their third shot at this. I'm not one for naming & shaming, especially where they might recover their mistakes, let's see.

Back