Cutaway behind B-post to accommodate fridge.

Juan9999

Hi there, I need to place my CRX50 fridge further back to get it flush with the furniture.
What are our experiences regarding cutting the reinforced part as shown on the picture?

Do I need to reinforce it somehow? Or just cutaway and leave it?

Any help is highly appreciated :)

(yes, it's a left hand drive)

438F5ED1-1B4C-4393-A61E-53CAE7857D89.jpeg

Cut away and leave. I’ve removed mine for a water tank and it’s been fine.

It’s there to stop cargo denting the outer panel from the inside.

Thank you!

Did you also cutaway the horizontal profile completely? Or only the bendy bit?
And no negative results like a 'flapping' panel when passing a big truck as oncoming traffic?

I was under the impression the purpose of the reinforcement is to make the panel stronger from the outside due to it's shape. In case of an accident or something. Thanks for the insight.

I would support this personally as its to support the external panel of the van so. Also we would not remove a strengthening frame on a customer’s van without reinstating the strength.

We used to cut/bend these then re-weld (we don’t do this now BTW). Using spacers bolted between the frame and the B pillar. Just have to be really careful as you could dent the external panel if you use too much force.

If you can’t weld, you could use wood and glue screw pieces of wood to support the cut our section.

Rgds

Ian

Thank you!

Did you also cutaway the horizontal profile completely? Or only the bendy bit?
And no negative results like a 'flapping' panel when passing a big truck as oncoming traffic?

I was under the impression the purpose of the reinforcement is to make the panel stronger from the outside due to it's shape. In case of an accident or something. Thanks for the insight.
I completely removed it. I’ve had no adverse issue from the panel bending in. A reinforcement wouldn’t hurt, as Ian suggests.

Hi all,

I'm making a few changes to my t6, removing the hob and sink unit and replacing the worktop. On the 'while it's in bits' list is pushing the fridge back into the bodywork so it's flush with the rest of the units. I had hoped this would be the be a simple cut of the thin panel work holding the trim panel but now that I've opened it up there is a larger steel in the way. It's only welded onto a thin plate, so wobbles around and doesnt appear structural, has anyone cut this out? I'll probably try to reinforce it somehow, but I think it's just to stop the side panel from flexing. I think I'll have to duct some cool air in somehow too, but I'll have a think about that one. 20220830_164721.jpg

Ah perfect! Just as I'd hoped. Although measuring it out, it still won't give me enough clearance for the reimo bed to pass in front of it, I think it'll still be proud of the front of the kitchen by about 30mm

Back