Crunching sound when the reverse sensor "senses" something.

Hec

Hey to All,

Brand new LWB T6 4Motion. Brand new member !!!
G'day to all !!! Looks like a reasonably friendly/active forum you have going here :)

Not sure if this is a feature or an issue.
When my reverse sensor "senses" something and I keep reversing there's a horrible crunching sound.
It sounds like the rear is crunching/scraping something.

The issue is that my drive has a bit of a dip and whenever I reverse out, the sensors detect the road and start beeping.
Then comes the sound.
I have watched the car reversing and nothing is anywhere near the ground.
At first, I thought it might have been the rear mud flaps scraping.
But there's a good distance everywhere.

Any ideas?

Hec

It might be the beeper speaker? Mine was scratchy after my poptop was fitted. When the roof was cut, some of the cutting swarf fell down the b pillar past where the reversing beeper loudspeaker is mounted and because the swarf is metal (steel) the magnet in the loudspeaker attracted the swarf particals. This clogged up the speaker and made it sound terrible, very scratchy in fact.

No idea if that is what your issue is, but if you have a poptop and a hole cut in the roof for one, check the reversing loudspeaker behind the b pillar on the passenger side is free of metal swarf. They look like iron filings stuck in the small paper cone of the loudspeaker.

 Matt

Could it be the emergency breaking kicking in, makes a fair noise that?

It gets me every time when I put a trailer/caravan on to move a short distance if I don't bother connecting the electrics.

is it the brakes?

Sounds like the emergency braking to me. Thought I’d hit something first time it came on!

Just a thought- I think you can turn it off in the settings. If so turn it off and see if it still does it.

Thanks to all responders.

I think it is/was the emergency brakes.
Weird thing is that it doesn't seem to stop the car it just makes a noise and I can keep on reversing.

I have found the setting for "manoeuvre braking" and turning this off seems to have worked.
Watch me now reverse into something !!!

From the inet - Driver Assistance | Volkswagen Technology

Maneuver braking is active when reversing, at a speed from 1.5 to 10 km/h, and when driving forwards, from 2.5 to 10 km/h. When the function is not required, then it can be disabled temporarily or permanently by using the radio system. Maneuver braking protects the driver from a collision.

Cheers again for the responses.

Back