Connecting Gas Supply To Dometic Hob, Which Type Of Fitting?

j4ckal

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Just after a little advice, about to connect the gas up to my Dometic 9122 hob. I'd assumed it would just be an 8mm fitting but it's different (looks slightly bigger dia, different thread pitch and the sealing faces wouldn't suit the standard copper olive I believe). The hob has come out of a California.

What fitting would I need to connect an 8mm copper to this:-

IMG_20190828_223407.jpg IMG_20190828_223815.jpg IMG_20190828_223339.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Failing that, can I connect onto 8mm black coated steel pipe with a standard 8mm fitting with copper olives? Or is there a specific olive/fitting for steel pipe?

Cheers.

Maybe worth contacting Richard @ Kernow? He may even have the parts you require.

Maybe worth contacting Richard @ Kernow? He may even have the parts you require.

Cheers.

After more Google work it looks like they are truma type olives (same as the manifolds, stop taps etc).

Failing that, can I connect onto 8mm black coated steel pipe with a standard 8mm fitting with copper olives? Or is there a specific olive/fitting for steel pipe?

Cheers.

The olive needs to be harder than the tube material otherwise it doesn’t ‘bite’ into the tubing.
As your dealing with gas I strongly suggest you give the job to a qualified gas fitter, it will need certification anyway.

Surely certification is only required by business installations and for vehicles for hire trade? Or have the regulations changed?
It may be best practise and/or required by insurance companies but was in the past never required for diy installation.
And don't talk to me about qualified gas fitters - I had a gas supply laid to a house, all very good and gas turned on and fitter went. Strong smell of gas for days, it turned out that the mains connection to the meter was not screwed up and was just pushed into the joint. I trust no one since that debacle.

You’re correct, there is no requirement to be a qualified installer on a vehicle. I’m all for a bit of trial and error, that’s how we learn. LPG is a bit unforgiving in that respect.
Given the ££££ that people are spending on vans a certified LPG installation should probably take priority over some go faster wheels.
I’ve seen many failures on pipe systems; fuel, hydraulics, HP air, etc, most had the correct components installed by a qualified person but were either misused or the commissioning wasn’t 100% completed.
If you add inexperience it certainly can’t improve matters.

That is an isolating compression valve, you could take off and fit another type of valve so the 8mm pipe works or use a different olive, some cheaper olives have flats on them (saves copper and cost....) while better quality ones are rounded.

It is more likely this type pictured.

We could do the connection for you if you are in Somerset area. You also need a gas test point somewhere in the system, typically on the bulkhead regulator.

Cheers
Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:

olive1.jpg

That is an isolating compression valve, you could take off and fit another type of valve so the 8mm pipe works or use a different olive, some cheaper olives have flats on them (saves copper and cost....) while better quality ones are rounded.

It is more likely this type pictured.

We could do the connection for you if you are in Somerset area. You also need a gas test point somewhere in the system, typically on the bulkhead regulator.

Cheers
Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 49821

Hi Ian,

Currently installing a hob into my van, do you guys do gas pressure testing?

Cheers

Hi Ian,

Currently installing a hob into my van, do you guys do gas pressure testing?

Cheers
Hi Chris, yes we so, there needs to be a test point in the system, either in pipework or typically on the regulator. Thanks
Ian

Back