Gas connection question

boxelder

T6 Guru
I've just built up my Evo Design kitchen pod and because it backs onto the back of the driver's seat (not the side of the van) the angled steel gas pipe runs back into the side of the unit. There isn't room for a compression fitting. I can see a few options:
1. Try to bend the steel pipe to straighten it and give space for a compression fitting. There's not much room for this and it will mean a 180 degree bend on the 8mm copper gas pipe.
2. Bend the steel pipe 90 deg so it reverses direction (180 deg bend) and gives room for the compression fitting.
3. It looks like I can loosen the connections and reverse the steel pipe so it leads the opposite way, which will be to the side of the van. The screws that would need to be loosened are covered in red 'no tamper' paint and there is some red paste of some sort where the steel pipe joins the feeds to the hobs (highlighted in red, with new pipe position in blue). Is breaking these seals a stupid plan? What is the connection from the steel pipe to the hobs? EDIT - would still no give room for connections.
4. Drill through the side of the unit and run the copper from there around the back :cautious: Messy.

I'm thinking pipe benders and option 2.

IMG_20200905_165851.jpgIMG_20200905_163550.jpg

Last edited:
Why not just cut the the part of the pipe that bends into the wall so that you just have a straight piece leaving the brass manifolds/taps? Make your compression joint at this point.

I considered that too but worried about a clean cut. The seal on the compression fitting won't rely on that anyway, will it, so probably the way to go. Thanks.

A pipe cutter should give you a clean and straight cut, but you will probably struggle to use a conventional one without dismantling everything. I have used a ratchet cutter in the past for tight spaces. It only needs to move about 45 degrees to make the cutting wheel go around the pipe. I don’t know if this will give you the link to a Silverline one on Amazon for about £14:
Silverline 662789 Ratchet Pipe Cutter 8-29 mm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001JJSX1E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0N8uFbTH6S9T2

A pipe cutter should give you a clean and straight cut, but you will probably struggle to use a conventional one without dismantling everything. I have used a ratchet cutter in the past for tight spaces. It only needs to move about 45 degrees to make the cutting wheel go around the pipe. I don’t know if this will give you the link to a Silverline one on Amazon for about £14:
Silverline 662789 Ratchet Pipe Cutter 8-29 mm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001JJSX1E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0N8uFbTH6S9T2
Most pipe cutters are for copper and aluminium - it looks like that is a steel pipe to me.

Make sure that you have it positioned so that any debris falls away from the new opening - it will save problems in the future.

Make sure that you have it positioned so that any debris falls away from the new opening - it will save problems in the future.
Did that, and vacuumed it out.
The copper is easier to bend (and kink.....). I'll tidy up, secure and run the copper to the rear where I'm bodging a DIY gas locker, drop vent etc. Drop vent under the hob too, as there'll be a waste water going through it also.

Screenshot 2020-09-05 at 22.51.03.png

Last edited:
Back