Condensation in LED headlights

Bav

Explore, discover, enjoy, repeat...
VIP Member
T6 Legend
After a few weeks of the van sitting unused on the driveway, I noticed today that there's condensation on the inside of both my factory-fitted LED headlights. The van was new in Jan 2023, so it's just over a year old.

I'm presuming the lights are a sealed unit, so this won't be easily resolved, so should I look to make a warranty claim or is this considered normal/to be expected?

TIA

I noticed similar in my T6 today after it has been standing for a week. Can’t say that I’ve noticed that before. I’m going up to the lakes tomorrow, so its getting a good run out and I’ll see what the headlights are like when we get to the camp site near Keswick. I’m expecting (hoping) that it will dry out when the lights have been on for a while.

Reactions: Bav
Don’t think it will be accepted as warranty as they always say they are NOT sealed units

Mine is not a daily and gets a small amount from time to time, i dont really worry about it and as soon as the sun comes up or i take it for a good drive with the lights on it soon disappears

Little love letter with my THQ's...

Condensation is the change of water from a gaseous form (vapor) into liquid water. It appears as small droplets of moisture inside the LED light. Condensation does not cause a problem with normal operation of the light and is, therefore, NOT considered to be a defect or warrantable condition.

Worry ye not kind Sir!

Well the good news is that the condensation had gone when I looked this morning. I guess this makes sense if the water vapour isn't captive and the temps internal to and external to the units are able to equalise. :thumbsup:

I noticed similar in my T6 today after it has been standing for a week. Can’t say that I’ve noticed that before. I’m going up to the lakes tomorrow, so its getting a good run out and I’ll see what the headlights are like when we get to the camp site near Keswick. I’m expecting (hoping) that it will dry out when the lights have been on for a while.
All gone after a few hours driving. Weather was quite bright, so my headlights didn’t come on, just the DRLs.

Small amounts of Condensation in LED headlights is quite common as they run cooler than halogen and aren’t sealed units.
However if it’s dripping wet and doesn’t disperse then there is a problem.
I’ve successfully had LED lights replaced on my car under warranty because of excessive moisture.
Pic of the faulty light shows how bad it was.IMG_20200112_111129428_HDR.jpeg

Small amounts of Condensation in LED headlights is quite common as they run cooler than halogen and aren’t sealed units.
However if it’s dripping wet and doesn’t disperse then there is a problem.
I’ve successfully had LED lights replaced on my car under warranty because of excessive moisture.
Pic of the faulty light shows how bad it was.View attachment 229489
Thanks for that @EAN - mine weren't anywhere near that bad. :thumbsup:

Reactions: EAN
Just noticed the exact same issue on both headlights. I was about to book it in anyway as the tailgate actuator has started playing up and half’s opens the tailgate all the time. Van centre Manchester said they do an inspection before confirming it’s covered under warranty!! With two faults like that I’d have thought they should be able to say if there covered75D4FC8B-0B69-4AD7-A667-697C272C4ECE.jpeg

Back