Clear varnish for finishing birch ply

What about clear auto paint lacquer. My local go to spray shop did the bamboo table and work tops with it. Seems very durable. Designed for plastic bumpers, so has a bit of give in it if the wood expands/shrinks a bit.

View attachment 80969
Hey @Dieseldonkey that was actually my first thought and I remembered that you had done this with your bamboo. But I sadly don't have a go to spray shop that I trust and also it would have to be the whole of the units and not just the tops.
The van is going to get more abuse internally than normal perhaps as it will have windsurf kit chucked in and out so wold probably need to be quite easily refurbished.
Although the way I am building it templating new worktops with the router every few years would be pretty easy.
Simple acrylic varnish might be the way ahead here unless I can find an oil product that stays clear

The problem I’ve read about staining birch ply is avoiding a patchy looking finish so will need to experiment too
I have done quite a few test pieces now and yes some of the samples do vary in the way the veneer takes up the dye. Best method so far is to sand carefully with 120 grit to get a smooth even surface and brush on with the grain avoiding overpainting as much as possible. Personally I like the variation the wood grain gives to the dye and am trying to promote that with the clear top protection. Keeps me off the streets I guess. :)

Bit confused by the Mono Coat website, sounds good but doesn't say if the coating is clear, mostly talks about tints which I am trying to avoid as I want to preserve the clarity of the blue wood dye. It's going to fade and the wood will age eventually. I have spent a long time making the units by hand mostly. Old school with a bandsaw an Elu router and elbow grease. Keen to get it to look just right even if only last a few years. Thanks for all the tips, proper professional advice on here everytime. :thumbsup:
they do a clear coat ,if you call them they can help, we use it on birch ply kitchen units ect they may also do a blue tint if you want extra depth of colour

Have a look at dulux diamond glaze I used it on my hardwood hallway floor can't comment on the yellow tinge you get from some varnishes but it is hard as nails when it drys

Bit of a thread resurrection but someone has asked me what I used and when I reread the thread I didn’t actually come back and say.
So the final finish was Liberon concentrated Water based blue dye. Two coats of Osmo Polyx oil in satin clear finished with Bison clear wax applied with very fine scotchbrite.
The PolyX was OK to use, took its own sweet time to go off. And it does leave a very slight yellow tint to the surface but I went with it anyway.
It seems to be very hard wearing and was quite heat resistant in a test.
Photos over in my build thread.
Thanks to those who helped with advice and props to the guys that suggested Osmo:thumbsup:

Back