1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cigarette Lighter socket removal?

Discussion in 'Interiors, Seating, Lining' started by RattyMcClelland, 7 Jan 2017.

1. RattyMcClelland

RattyMcClelland Senior Member T6 Guru

How the hell does this come away from the plastic panel.

I have finished swapping the shuttle black interior panels over to replace the mouldy ass beige ones and the lighter panel is the last section to do.

[​IMG]

It seems the metal is attached to the black part which is attached to the mouldy ass beige. Won't prise out.

Any thoughts?

2. Pauly

Pauly Senior Member Admin Moderator VCDS User

Map
    Dont think you can do it without damaging it, there is a specific VAG tool for removing them, looks like a bearing puller ! but without it ????

I got @carlg an illuminated one for his new dash as he couldnt remove it without damage, think @BiTurbo broke his as well

3. Pauly

Map
  4. TEESIXY

TEESIXY Member

Map
    If you not bothered about saving the old panel, i'd cut a slot down to it with a junior hacksaw, or if you want to save it, maybe a bit of warmth from hair dryer,or similar might help by softening the beige plastic a little?

5. RattyMcClelland

I'd rather have a non illuminated one. I'll keep at it and If not order a new one.

6. carlg

carlg Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

I did get mine out with a lot of force ,but it put a small dent in it and the cig lighter got stuck in ,so I got the new one .
    the new one clips in really easily ,but once in it doesn't want to come out

7. RattyMcClelland

Managed to get it out. The metal part had two small tabs holding it. I broken those back/ cent the metal a tad and the metal pushed forward with allot of force. Releasing that made the black section easier to force out.

BiTurbo likes this.
  8. BiTurbo

BiTurbo Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Just break the back of the ring, they are about £4.

9. BiTurbo

Mine isn't red like that what's the part number? Cheers

10. Pauly

Map
  11. BiTurbo

12. carlg

That's it fitted .

IMAG2254.jpg

T6 Dave's Dad and Pauly like this.
  13. Pauly

Map
    You fitted the USB socket sideways ??

T6 Dave's Dad and BiTurbo like this.
  14. carlg

I think it could only go in one way ,it had a small corner shape which located it .

15. BiTurbo

Correct there is a notch in one corner......

IMG_1333.JPG

16. Pant Terrors

Pant Terrors Member VIP Member

Map
    Carefull chaps. The standard supply to the ciggy lighter is permanently on. An illuminated unit will be draining power 24/7, not much, but if its not used everyday it will add to the other drains/alarm/immobilizer stuff. My 2006 VW Passat would be dead in a week, which was lovely returning at 3 am to a long stay airport car park!

T6 Dave's Dad likes this.
  17. Pauly

Map
    There are 3 cables on the rear plug as standard the third wire is connected to ambient lighting circuit

T6 Dave's Dad likes this.
  18. BiTurbo

Correct Pauly