Cigarette Lighter socket removal?

RattyMcClelland

Chipsaway - South Nottingham
T6 Legend
How the hell does this come away from the plastic panel.

I have finished swapping the shuttle black interior panels over to replace the mouldy ass beige ones and the lighter panel is the last section to do.

IMAG0396_zpsfvxjhgxa.jpg

It seems the metal is attached to the black part which is attached to the mouldy ass beige. Won't prise out.

Any thoughts?

Dont think you can do it without damaging it, there is a specific VAG tool for removing them, looks like a bearing puller ! but without it ????

I got @carlg an illuminated one for his new dash as he couldnt remove it without damage, think @BiTurbo broke his as well

IMG_3761.JPG

If you not bothered about saving the old panel, i'd cut a slot down to it with a junior hacksaw, or if you want to save it, maybe a bit of warmth from hair dryer,or similar might help by softening the beige plastic a little?

I'd rather have a non illuminated one. I'll keep at it and If not order a new one.
I did get mine out with a lot of force ,but it put a small dent in it and the cig lighter got stuck in ,so I got the new one .
the new one clips in really easily ,but once in it doesn't want to come out

Managed to get it out. The metal part had two small tabs holding it. I broken those back/ cent the metal a tad and the metal pushed forward with allot of force. Releasing that made the black section easier to force out.

Carefull chaps. The standard supply to the ciggy lighter is permanently on. An illuminated unit will be draining power 24/7, not much, but if its not used everyday it will add to the other drains/alarm/immobilizer stuff. My 2006 VW Passat would be dead in a week, which was lovely returning at 3 am to a long stay airport car park!

There are 3 cables on the rear plug as standard the third wire is connected to ambient lighting circuit

Managed to get it out. The metal part had two small tabs holding it. I broken those back/ cent the metal a tad and the metal pushed forward with allot of force. Releasing that made the black section easier to force out.

As Ratty says, its pretty easy to remove if you remove the metal body from the black mounting ring before trying to remove the mounting ring.

20170625_130513_zpsbtjx6hsi.jpg

The two tabs at 3 and 9 o'clock positions hold the metal insert in place inside the mounting ring. If you depress these two tabs with a small terminal driver from within the metal part it should come out. then you can depress the tabs at 12 and 6 o'clock position to remove the mounting ring.

20170625_130544_zps8w1iq9mw.jpg

Afternoon all,

I need to replace the silver lighter bit as it’s corroded. Do I have to remove the trim to do it or can I pull it out in situ?

If I need to remove the trim, how do you get it out? I’ve been trying for a while but can’t get it to budge.

Thanks
Andy

Afternoon all,

I need to replace the silver lighter bit as it’s corroded. Do I have to remove the trim to do it or can I pull it out in situ?

If I need to remove the trim, how do you get it out? I’ve been trying for a while but can’t get it to budge.

Thanks
Andy
You have to remove the trim - trim tools are the best, really. If not, you can force it out by pulling really hard (particularly if you jam your finger in to the lighter hole).

I managed to remove mine and refit it in the new panel: What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

You have to remove the trim - trim tools are the best, really. If not, you can force it out by pulling really hard (particularly if you jam your finger in to the lighter hole).

Thanks, I’ve been trying today with trim tools and it won’t budge. I’ll try again tomorrow and just try brute force. I’m guessing I can’t damage the dash?

The ring is already broken, so I’ll have to replace it. Just can’t stand looking at the corrosion on the silver bit.

Back