Cigarette Lighter socket removal?

T6 forum to the rescue again! I just moved the 12v socket from the cubby hole to the dash tray. I'd been quoted a small fortune for adding one so a free move (apart from a few scraped knuckles) is much appreciated!

That bloody ashtray section is a bitch to get out I was prying it with trim tools for ages almost to the point of it snapping ...only way I got it out, in the end, was to get my hand behind it and push from the back at the same time as levering with a trim tool on the front and then... the bloody thing just pops out as if nothing has happened to it ! looking all innocent.. its just two clips holding it in behind it but you just can't get to them..... now I'm struggling getting the totally unwanted cigarette lighter section out so I can put in something more useful.. its that or just trashing the whole piece and creating a panel of useful sockets to replace it completely which I am strongly leaning towards the more I struggle trying to get this damn 12v cigarette lighter section out of the ugly piece of grey/beige plastic hideous ashtray thing...

Thanks for the tips guys just got mine apart all 3 pieces in mint condition with the help of my dad.. (you don't have to use a dad any other person could work LOL)mxVRg+fbRmukeNVFsoSXyg.jpg and the use of the corner of a table one pushes down on the plastic surround whilst the other pushes in one of the two tabs.. it just slides out like butter, the black mounting ring is then easy to get out by pushing in the tabs..

Is it easy to do? Do I need to take the dashboard apart? Any tips would be welcome.

Not what you asked, but I use a usb ciggy socket in mine- it’s I deal with a short lead to my phone which is by the steering wheel on a dash mount.

grey/blue wire on any dash switch which is button illumination ?

using the special VW tool . . . . . or:

something like this . . . . .

Porsche Volkswagen AUDI Cigarette Lighter Removal Tool T40148

For years I have fiddled around removing these, I now have the tool and it saves lots of faffing about, bit much for a one off removal though.

How the hell does this come away from the plastic panel.

I have finished swapping the shuttle black interior panels over to replace the mouldy ass beige ones and the lighter panel is the last section to do.

View attachment 12117

It seems the metal is attached to the black part which is attached to the mouldy ass beige. Won't prise out.

Any thoughts?
How do you remove the beige trim from the vehicle please?

How the hell does this come away from the plastic panel.

I have finished swapping the shuttle black interior panels over to replace the mouldy ass beige ones and the lighter panel is the last section to do.

View attachment 12117

It seems the metal is attached to the black part which is attached to the mouldy ass beige. Won't prise out.

Any thoughts?
How do you remove the beige trim section please?

Thanks for the tips guys just got mine apart all 3 pieces in mint condition with the help of my dad.. (you don't have to use a dad any other person could work LOL)View attachment 54543 and the use of the corner of a table one pushes down on the plastic surround whilst the other pushes in one of the two tabs.. it just slides out like butter, the black mounting ring is then easy to get out by pushing in the tabs..
Can I ask how you got the tray out? do I have to remove part of the dash? I want to remove the lighter socket and fit USB. Thanks for reading this.

Can I ask how you got the tray out? do I have to remove part of the dash? I want to remove the lighter socket and fit USB. Thanks for reading this.
Get the panel out above the tray ..the area where the head unit is so you can get your hands behind it to push .. the clips are really strong so it needs to be pushed from behind as well as using plastic trim removal tools it needs a bit more effort . Probably the most difficult part of the whole dash to remove as it’s so bloody tight .

It will come out from the front only but requires a hell of pull .. I got mine out this way but used water pump pliers and sponge not to damage grip the tray and hard pull ..
I have replaced with anodised black section to cover opening drilled out with 12v switch / socket and 2 gang usb .. switched on only when driving as it’s perm 12v

Thanks for the tips guys just got mine apart all 3 pieces in mint condition with the help of my dad.. (you don't have to use a dad any other person could work LOL)View attachment 54543 and the use of the corner of a table one pushes down on the plastic surround whilst the other pushes in one of the two tabs.. it just slides out like butter, the black mounting ring is then easy to get out by pushing in the tabs..
Do you know where the fuse is for this is located please?

Back