Changing OEM control of Eberspacher Airtronic M D3 Plus

andys

Ex member
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I’ve got one of these Eber 3Kw heater, which is controlled by the Westfalia control unit, this;

41AFE362-5F69-4F7F-A4FD-4E1654A01B58.jpeg
which also controls fridge and displays outside temp and water tank levels. I understand the Cali uses the same heater and that’s controlled by the VW control panel.

I know the cold weather is coming to an end now but it would be very handy to be able to switch the heater on remotely as I have often been working late and try and set the heater to come on at a time I think I’m going to be able to finish, but I never manage to get it right and it’s either come on and finished before I get to it, or I’m back at the frozen van too early.
So is anyone running one of these heaters with such a setup? I’ve looked at circuit diagrams and see that there is one input that will switch the system on (assuming the temp has to be set in advance) but I can’t tell if it needs power while on or whether it’s a pulse purely to turn on. Can such a shortcut be put in between the heater and the control panel without confusing the control panel? An off the shelf system would be good but if not I don’t mind using something like a D1mini connected to the van’s WiFi to provide a switch.
The more I read this makes me realise I probably don’t have a cat in hell’s chance of finding someone with this specific use case, but there are a lot of Calis out there so maybe someone has added something to control their heater?

What model No. is it? You need to satisfy this for the radio remote @ £265 or phone one @ £360 if you have an Airtronic model ( I can't help much as I only deal with Webastos) :

eberrem.jpg

This was for the Easystart Remote + and the phone one ...................... but.................. they are both discontinued/out of production for some reason!

Last edited:
What model No. is it? You need to satisfy this for the radio remote @ £265 or phone one @ £360 if you have an Airtronic model ( I can't help much as I only deal with Webastos) :

View attachment 103755
Mine doesn’t have that so I guess that means no to an off the shelf answer. Do they all have a connection for a push button start? If so then I could just intercept that connection somewhere between the heater and the above control panel, if I can find it, and use a home made module to switch it
41ECF36D-B086-486D-BF07-29D9504553CD.jpeg

This is the only manual that I have is in Dutch that shows the remotes for the Airtronic D3S including the plus I think. The first one is an installation one in English including for the D4plus which can be used as a cross ref. maybe.

Attachments

• airtronicD2-D4-D4S-D3-B4_technical[1].pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • Repair-manual-D2-D3-B4-D4-252069050000-15350-nl.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 29
Doing a bit of Googling - the older style remote seems to be the one that you need for your older heater like this GSM-module Eberspacher Easy Start Text Plus or this Easy Start Remote Eberspacher
A bit cheaper as well - you would have to double check before you buy as I don't know these heaters or controllers at all.
Thanks, I’ve found another couple of troubleshooting manuals now as well as detailed circuit board wiring. I’ll have a look into those devices, though it’s not clear in any of the documentation that they‘re compatible with mine. You’re right, mine does seem to be a discontinued model, it seems they make the 2Kw and 4Kw but not the 3Kw, presumably they put the D4 into Westfalias and Calis now. First thing I need to do is find the actual wiring harness, I think it must run under the van as there is no sign of it under the seat bases.

Thanks, I’ve found another couple of troubleshooting manuals now as well as detailed circuit board wiring. I’ll have a look into those devices, though it’s not clear in any of the documentation that they‘re compatible with mine. You’re right, mine does seem to be a discontinued model, it seems they make the 2Kw and 4Kw but not the 3Kw, presumably they put the D4 into Westfalias and Calis now. First thing I need to do is find the actual wiring harness, I think it must run under the van as there is no sign of it under the seat bases.
Hello, did you found solutions to custom made start button for D3 plus espar
I have same espar and would want to avoid vw module and have a simple option to start this heater ...thanks in advance for your answer...

Back