MV airo heater problems

chris9809

VIP Member
I don’t post much on here, but I do come looking whenever I want to do something new, or fault find for something I’ve already done. The last couple of days I’ve had problems with my diesel heater and I thought I’d share it, as it may be useful for someone else.
The heater has been fitted for about 2 years now and is cracking. Thoroughly recommend it. I wired it directly to my leisure battery, which I have fitted under the passenger seat. Anyway, I was installing 240v hook up (helped by info on this site) and in the process I thought, I would move the power connections for the heater to my 12v set up. A simple 6 way fuse box and neutral bus bar.
After doing this, the heater didn’t work. On the control, I pressed the button and it lit up for a couple of seconds, the fan started, and then everything stopped. And so this kept happening. I thought maybe I’d damaged a wire in the process of everything else I’d been doing. Also of note, the LED lights flickered on startup of the heater.
Anyway, long story short - and after hours of working through everything with a continuity meter - there was nothing wrong with the wiring. The heater needs a fair whack of power to start up, and it just couldn’t get this unless it was hooked up direct to the battery. Apparently once running the power consumption is pretty minimal, but the start up needs lots.
Not a very technical post - but if this had come up in a search about 10 hours ago - it would have saved me, well, about 9 hours and 55 minutes of my life !! Hope it helps someone, and thanks for all the amazing knowledge on here. Well worth my £12 or whatever it is a year.

I always tell people to connect direct to the battery as there is nothing to be gained from connecting to a fuse box/panel etc. Clean supply with no extra joins or interference is always best. That 12v setup of yours could do with checking though as it seems like you are losing a lot of volts/current there - maybe poor earth.

Back