Change Air filter on cluster

T6_FunBus

VIP Member
T6 Guru
My van can’t go more than a day wothout beeping something at me at the moment!

Inspection - done
Oil change / service - done
Adblu fill up - done

Today it randomly bitched about ‘change air filter’ and a spanner come up on the cluster on ignition on.

I can’t see anything in the cluster that suggest an air filter timer / reset. No errors. Any ideas anyone?

Its running a foam high flow panel filter.

Thanks.

Today it randomly bitched about ‘change air filter’ and a spanner come up on the cluster on ignition on.
A picture of dash display?
What's shown under: OBDeleven > Control units > Engine > Live data > Air cleaner degree of soiling

Anyways, I would expect there is a fault code in the engine controller. Clearing that perhaps?
Or possibly just the traditional way - unplug and plug the MAF connector next to air filter box - should reset the soiling counter.
EDIT: see post #13 further down.

No errors in obd11

Degree of soiling 122% (whatever that means, not sure how it detects that, I cannot change it).

Currently running a ram-air foam pannel filter, have been for quite a few months.

• Wow
Reactions: mmi
Ahh can’t attach a video but its literally the same as a service indicator. Ignition on ‘Change Air Filter’ and a gong with picture of spanner. Then disapears - no permanent warning light, no errors in ecu. Cycle ignition, gong and warning again just like it needs a service.

I unplugged MAF and plugged back in, made no difference to this number. Just gave me a load of errors I had to clear as it was unplugged.

IMG_8772.png

IMG_8773.png

IMG_8774.png

I unplugged MAF and plugged back in, made no difference to this number. Just gave me a load of errors I had to clear as it was unplugged.
Did you unplug when ignition was OFF?

I was working next to air filter box and unplugged the connector (when IGNition was OFF) - to my surprise at next IGN ON there was a fault code AND the air filter soiling counter was reset to zero.

Did you unplug when ignition was OFF?

I was working next to air filter box and unplugged the connector (when IGNition was OFF) - to my surprise at next IGN ON there was a fault code AND the air filter soiling counter was reset to zero.
No I tried it with ignition on (engine not running) and engine running.

I was happy today I fixed my last series of gremlins but seems the transporter wants to he a complete diva atm. Couldn’t believe this popped up today!

I’m getting a bit tired of working on it this week, but I’ll go grab a beer, do what you suggested, if that doesn’t reset it, I’ll just remove the top of the airbox and run it open to see if it changes. If not I don’t have a scooby. The MAF appears to be working.

Unplugged maf with ignition off and no difference. I guess I’ll pull the top of the air box / filter next.

Perhaps
OBDeleven > Control units > Engine > Basic settings > Reset air cleaner function after air cleaner replacement​

You are a LEG-END!

That did it…

Never knew you had to do that, and maybe the last garage that serviced it did not either!

Before I sae your message I just removed the filter and put a fresh cone on it and started - no change. Ran what you said above and…

You guys are awesome :D

IMG_8776.png

maybe the last garage that serviced it did not either!

The maintenance workshop manual mentions as final step "reset learnt values for air filter in engine control unit" on page 88 in chapter
1696702502540.png

Or possibly just the traditional way - unplug and plug the MAF connector next to air filter box - should reset the soiling counter.
Well, so I thought. It seems that my assumption was based just on a conincidence. I unplugged the connector for some other work (at 78879 km) and only afterwards looked into measuring values :rolleyes:

Anyways, digged my regular logs and discovered that the behaviour of the "Air cleaner soiling" is quite interesting - it cyclically resets itself. The only time the sensor has been unplugged was the case mentioned above. Even checked when the van was serviced - none of those align with the resets.

The data was extracted from VCDS snapshots made at every fuel fill-up. The air filter still is the original as per VW service plan every 120.000 km or 6 years. The filter was still very clean at 5 years.

1697285167612.png

Hi all, got this issue also.

Have tried the ODBeleven reset but I get an incorrect diagnostic mode error message on ODB. Tried all the modes still the same. Am I missing something?

Funny you should say that, I’ve no idea if they updated the app, as in the past week I get an error when trying to run output tests that I didn’t before :/

Back