Caution! Have alignment checked after lowering

Big Zak

VIP Member
T6 Pro
A word of warning to you all. I purchased My van in Aug 2019, from a reputable company. Coming back from Edinburgh Airport last Friday afternoon I suffered a blow out on my passenger side rear. I eventually got home and got my son to order tyres to keep me mobile (he is a tyre fitter).
Upon inspection he informed me that who ever lowered my van had just thrown the coil overs on and never set the alignment.
Make sure check ever

I think it’s unusual if they do. Always get it redone yourself after it’s lowered.

Having said that, if you bought the van like that they should have done it surely? They you talked to them about it?

We are dropped 40 mm from new, on H&R springs. All good. Except the converters didn't get the tracking etc aligned, the result being excessive tyre wear.

We are dropped 40 mm from new, on H&R springs. All good. Except the converters didn't get the tracking etc aligned, the result being excessive tyre wear.
Are you absolutely sure that the van is 40 mm lower. Our experience shows that 90 percent of the time the springs don’t do what they say on the box in campers . Measure from the center of the wheel to the top of the wheel arch. From the resulting measurements we can see how low it is and why you may have alignment issues ,

435EC9E3-941F-4B47-B41C-FC6856D34680.jpeg

Many thanks - we're happy with what was done - and the converters are pretty much at the top of the game, so if they recommend something, it'll be fine. The comment was more by way of a warning that these things need to be considered. I was surprised that, seemingly, they hadn't. The people I use to set up the alignment are very good, and pretty much everything was out to a greater or lesser degree.

All this said, it would potentially be useful to discuss options for shocks as per the earlier discussion. It's a pity we're so far from you. I've just read the discussion "Getting the Cali to handle like a car", which is interesting.

LOL. You do seem to have a tendency to skim read! Anyway, just for clarity - here's what I said re the people concerned.

"I was surprised that, seemingly, they hadn't."

LOL. Incidentally, reading various threads on the subject suggests that dropping the vans generally seems to cause issues - and my recollection from somewhere is of a note that a brand-new van, no modifications, turned out to be badly aligned too.

(PS: If this was F/bk, I'd understand your need to post the comment. It isn't, so I don't. Anyway, enjoy your evening mate)

Perhaps to be updated by an Administrator so it’s a list not a 40 page debate.
I started this thread back in Jan 2021 for the purpose of it not becoming another suspension debate but instead a GO TO list of facts administered and updated by one of the official Forum Admin’s.

I think tyres play a big part. In summer I run 235/50R18s (Uniroyal Rainsports) and winter 235/55R17s (Minerva winter tyres). I’ve just fitted these in readiness for the inclement weather! The van is noticeably softer going over speed bumps with the 55 profile tyres. It has H&R -40 and Koni shocks!

I think most people get their vans and the first jobs are to dump the ride height and fit big wheels and ultra low profile tyres like you’d find on a supercar. The combination of both changes the ride characteristics massively. Some people love it, some hate it - all subjective!

Back