Lowering & 4-wheel Laser Alignment - How I Done It -

The rear will be at the limit of adjustment though on a 40mm drop.. thats where the adjustable poly bushes for the rear come in to provide more adjustment...
Found a place near me that uses the absolute alignment kit which was used on your van. Will give them a call and explain the situation and see if they can do anything with it. If its at its limit then fair enough but I reckon they should be able to atlwast get the toe within limit on the rear like other people have managed to do so on their vans

@Insert Coin answered the same as I would of done.

Bare in mind that the setting I have have only cured the issues with lowered vans, not stock or lowering springs, I'm not sure on those because i've never had a T6 that's been stock.
Also a note that @BognorMotors now have a full Hunter system and they also use the Hunter settings I have. The issue i've seen is when Hunter guys just use the factory settings on a low Transporter and it throws everything out causing excessive tyre wear like I had where I was chewing a set of rear tyres in 4000 miles. Since going over to the newer Hunter settings, i'm now getting around 15k to a rear set of tyres, with no pulling issues.

@Insert Coin answered the same as I would of done.

Bare in mind that the setting I have have only cured the issues with lowered vans, not stock or lowering springs, I'm not sure on those because i've never had a T6 that's been stock.
Also a note that @BognorMotors now have a full Hunter system and they also use the Hunter settings I have. The issue i've seen is when Hunter guys just use the factory settings on a low Transporter and it throws everything out causing excessive tyre wear like I had where I was chewing a set of rear tyres in 4000 miles. Since going over to the newer Hunter settings, i'm now getting around 15k to a rear set of tyres, with no pulling issues.
I assume when you say lowered vans your meaning lowered more than the 45mm I am and that I should be okay with the standard settings? Or would you recommend using the hunter settings you have in which case I'm hoping you'll share:whistle: cant say I get any pulling issues at the minute. Just a shame I'm not closer to bognor motors really. Appreciate the feedback

As we've nowhere to go thought i get the maintenance jobs done, so had the wheel alignment checked and set up.

First a thank you to @Dellmassive for his "how i done it post" made for a good conversation with the alignment technician.

My van is a T6 LWB converted camper "van with windows". The suspension is lowered on Stance+ coil overs, 40mm (i think) measures 390 from wheel hub centre to lower edge of arch. The wheels are 20"Rover Sport 8 and half Js with 245/45 on the front and 275/40 on the rear. I changed the fronts to narrower tyres after arch liner rubbing problems on full lock, MOT failure!

So here's my contribution to forum wheel alignment knowledge and experience.

The results are:

Fronts are now toe out - man says makes van more stable at speed, the right front had worn on the outer edge.
Rears are toe out as well - the man "squared" them up for me - also said need to be toe out at the rear to wear evenly.

Van is level and drives and handles well, in a straight line, no noticeable left hand drift as with others.

A concern is that caster - right and camber, left at the front are unadjustable and out of range - is worth getting adjustable bushes ??
The rear camber is also negative but this is known and not a problem with tyre wear. The man said if the rear camber was brought to vertical the tyres would catch on the arches.

Hope this helps others doing this - quite a bit to understand

Any thoughts ?
Pete

wheel aligment result.jpg

Glad the thread was some help, and that you got a result with your new setup.

Hi and thanks all for the effort that's been put into this thread. Here are the results from a recent Hunter alignment. My van pulled a fair bit to the right before and now it pulls ever so slightly to the left. Do these figures look sensible - I had assumed the the slight pull the the left was just the road camber and the large alloys on the van (20" and lowered 50mm on coilovers) but having read this thread and driving my car (2013 vw golf) this evening if I leave the steering it stays exactly where I left it but if I were to do the same in the van it would certainly drift slowly left towards the roadside. Are the steering systems in cars different and therefore are imperfections like this in a van to be expected? Like I said it's just the slightest pull and I fear if I go back to the place that did the alignment it'll be too subtle to track down. I can cope with the slight pull but if you think these figures suggest I may tear through my new tyres in short order then I'd better do something about it! Thanks for any advice.

FB0A8BC3-EE11-4B4E-AD6A-ACD6D9C1D753.jpeg

I've got more toe out at the rear, will monitor tyre wear. My man said that vans were much more variable than cars and more difficult to setup once lowered, to do the front accurately you have to install adjustment bushes. Kind of indicated it wasn't worth it. Having driven a while I'd say mine was sensitive to camber, so a hint of left hand drift on some roads. Not worth trying to fix i think, would need looking at suspension heights/coil springs adjustment too.

Tyres update on the van . . .

Looking at my log . .

im roughly on my 3rd set of tyres at 34K miles ish.

so average for me is about 12k for a front set. (rears last longer (non driven, non steer))

MY18 204 DSG 2WD Heavy . . . . driven sensibly

Last set were RIKEN as no stock of Accelera.

04/01/20196938£ 82.00255/45/18/103W Accerra tyre NSF Portland tyres
11/04/201911900£ 82.00255/45/18/103W Accerra tyre OSF Portland tyres

08/01/2020£ 66.20ALLTYRES - ORS tyre Accelera 245/45r18
30/01/2020£ 225.61ALLTYRES - Accelera 245/45r18 103y nsf,osf,nsr

07/11/202033813£ 172.01ALLTYRES - RIKEN 245/45R18 103Y XL 2x NSF,OSF

1614160650545.png

1614160661486.png1614160670830.png1614160681924.png

I liked the Accelera... a good all round cost effective tyre..

A soft tyre is more grippy, but wears quicker.

A hard tyre last longer but less grippy.

I munch through tyres every 12k ish so cost Is a major factor for me..... I'd like fancy branded tyres. But it makes no sense to me.

the vanco conties the van come with wore out just as quick as a mid budget tyre...... so why pay more?(just my personal opinion)

Had Debica (owned by Goodyear) tyres fitted this morning and also 4 wheel alignment. Luckily for me, the van didn't need any adjustment.

It was put on the ramp, the equipment put on the wheels, reg put in the computer to get the factory specs.

The van was the rocked backwards and forwards to get more readings and the readings came up as all in range and tolerances.

This was a surprise as I was expecting something to need adjusting. The van has been lowered on Stance + approx 40mm and I run 235/55/17 with 45 psi. So didn't even have to input that the van was empty or no load as other posts have recommended. Is this right?

I've also found this YouTube video about wheel alignment which may also help in visualising what is done. Here is the link"

Stay Safe

Wow these guys are only in Irlam, does anyone have any experience with them
Had Debica (owned by Goodyear) tyres fitted this morning and also 4 wheel alignment. Luckily for me, the van didn't need any adjustment.

It was put on the ramp, the equipment put on the wheels, reg put in the computer to get the factory specs.

The van was the rocked backwards and forwards to get more readings and the readings came up as all in range and tolerances.

This was a surprise as I was expecting something to need adjusting. The van has been lowered on Stance + approx 40mm and I run 235/55/17 with 45 psi. So didn't even have to input that the van was empty or no load as other posts have recommended. Is this right?

I've also found this YouTube video about wheel alignment which may also help in visualising what is done. Here is the link"

Stay Safe

I’m going to get a 4 wheel alignment done in the next week or two.
Can anyone recommend a Hunter place that’s familiar with lowered T6’s in West Yorks/Greater Manchester area at all?

I’m going to get a 4 wheel alignment done in the next week or two.
Can anyone recommend a Hunter place that’s familiar with lowered T6’s in West Yorks/Greater Manchester area at all?
Yes.. irlam. Awesome Gti . The place is called. I'm booked in on the 20th

@Macmain12
Did you get your Hunter alignment done?
I’ve found a place near me called Atec-Align so I’m going to pop in later today and have a chat and see if they are familiar with doing lowered vans on the ‘no load’ setting.

Back