Hello .......... new member and a six month review

Allan A

204 DSG LWB Kombi 4motion. Sports day/weekend van
VIP Member
T6 Pro
T6 - My six-month review

Ok, I have been loitering on this forum for a quite a few months hoovering up all the knowledge, views and ideas which have all helped me to make various decisions about my T6 purchase.

So I figure it's time to give back, explain my decisions and hopefully help others to make informed choices.

We all have different priorities for our vans and mine fell into the sports van, weekend van category with the ability to cover large distances in comfort. I prioritised skiing, mountain biking and hill/mountain walking and occasional canoeing, so l needed room for lots of kit. I also wanted a mobile office environment so when away could still deal with emails, conference calls etc. I also wanted to occasionally use it as a van so lots of load space. One other aims were to ‘stealth camp’ to save money, therefore didn't want it looking too non-standard from the outside.

I eventually went for a T6 T32 204 EU6 DSG LWB 4motion Kombi with many of the factory extras. It was delivered in March after a wait of 7 months and a lot of frustration and false starts!

I then had a converter put in a front bench swivel, bed frame system, sound proof and lining throughout, curtains, led lights, limo tint, leisure battery under driver’s seat and webasto diesel heater. I have to say I am in awe of the people on this forum that can do this themselves and love following their progress pictures. My van was on the road for 1st April, l was hoping this would not be an unfortunate omen.

Engine. 9/10

The T32 204 was a no brainier for the high mileage, higher end speed, though the extra cost……………...! To date I have covered 9400 miles in 5 months without a hiccup. Trips from London to the Lake District are averaging 40mpg in 4/5 hours. Trips to the Alps average a little less but the autobahn’s and French motorway speeds are much higher. Yes, I have done silly speeds on an autobahn before I chickened out and the van had more in it. Still had lots of Porsche and Audis flying past me. (Not recommended!!!!!!)

I personally like the stop/start option and have had no issues with it at all. I live in London in what will be the new congestion charge zone in 2019 so the EU6 blue motion was really another no brainier and looking at the way other EU cities are going it's coming! As for ad blue in the 9400 miles I've so far only had to do one refill but one is due soon. The regen is a bit of a pain however and always seems to happen as I am about at the journeys end, it doesn't half affect the mpg, no dreaded light though.

I intend doing an oil change and dealer check at 6mths (August) due to the high mileage.

DSG. 10/10

I used a DSG T5 loan vehicle (this was because of the constant delays in delivery date!) for a trip to the Alps in Jan and after that had to have the auto box. Again, no issues whatsoever ever and I really wouldn't go back to manual vans. The combination of DSG with 204 engine makes for some startled looks if I am a bit heavy footed at lights with the rep cars, I must stop doing that! And I have just realised haven't put it in sports mode yet ............ hmm must try that.

LWB. Kombi 10/10

This was dictated by the length of my mountain bike, I didn't want to have to take wheels of etc, and still wanted to use all seating space. I recently supported a London to Brighton team had 5 team members and their bikes and loads of kit in the van absolutely no problem.

The LWB also allowed me to get a full-size bed in the back whilst keeping the seats up. It is a really good system, although not cheap, three-piece board with memory foam and with a sturdy frame from a converter. The frame doubles up as a good tie in for bikes and the bed boards fit behind the second-row seats, so very easy to organise. It also comes out easily so can still use the van to move large items, haven't needed to yet though perhaps I over thought that one?

I also use the van as my daily run around and even in London I have had no real problem in finding parking although some multi stories are a bit tight, I think this comes down to your confidence as a driver in a big city. I am used to throwing large vehicles around the smallest of mews roads.

Whilst on the subject of driving in town the height barriers are interesting problem however I have only found one I couldn't get under (1.70m what a ridiculous height) the lowest generally seem to be 1.98m and whilst this is he van height and it's lightly loaded it's always just fitted so far! This has stopped me getting roof bars at the moment and has consequently limited me in carrying canoes on the roof. Still thinking about this one and looking for an easily removable option.

Oh and yes rear reversing camera and sensors are invaluable, didn't go for the front ones as that's just lazy .................. and i forgot!

I spec’d twin sliders for flexibility with the added bonus of having the choice of opening the sheltered door when it's raining. I don't seem to have had any problems with sliding window leakage but will power hose them down to see before taking in for the free 6mth dealer check/service.

Seat/Interior configuration. 8/10

Fixed front driver seat with arm rests and two-person bench with Kiravan swivel. This allows for an office type area with the two + one rear seats. When travelling on my own I remove the single rear seat as it makes entry to the rear bed and whatever I am carrying easier.

There are quite a few comments about seat comfort and I tend to agree the passenger double could be a lot better and I was surprised at how much height was added by the aftermarket swivel, my son is 6'4". The driver’s seat is crying out for a lumber support.

The rear Kombi seats are fine in my view and removing the single is easy but double is a two person job. I have now regularly had all six seats full and as long as the smallest person is in the front middle seat its an excellent people carrier.

Still haven't worked out a suitable table system that I like though and I do need one large enough and capable of taking heavy weight Inc. laptop, printer, etc.

4motion. 9/10

I wasn't so sure about this option originally but now it's yet another no brainier. I got it for skiing in the Alps, if I'm honest I haven't actually needed it yet the snow this season being so poor but it's there in case and gives me piece of mind. It has come into its own both in the Lake District and North Wales when wild camping and exploring off the beaten track on some very challenging routes.

Recently however I have also been very impressed with its ability in wet muddy fields whilst supporting a team on the Trail Walker 100 Challenge across the South Downs. It was amazing how many other vehicles got stuck and the VW just plugged away and got through some horrendously steep wet fields, checkpoints and deep mud in the recent downpours. Had to feel for the walkers, the worse conditions ever! And this was all on standard wheels and tyres.

Didn't go for the optional diff lock and hasn't been a regret, yet. It's a 9/10. Because of the cost!

Continued......

Wheels 9/10

Ok I know this is all about personal preference but I don't intend to change the Devonports, lower suspension or add spacers. I like the look as is. If anything, I would raise it slightly. I am now thinking about sourcing some decent snow/mud tyres though as I already have 6/7 weeks skiing planned next season, or will I just go for snow socks?

Lights 10/10

They are LEDs I don't think I need say any more…………fantastic, (I do need to change the ridiculous bulbs in front spots though! (H11’s i believe)

Media and Discovery sat nav 8/10

It's a great system, my phones connect well and it has large clear screen, I am even getting use to Apple Play! My son refuses apple though and will only use the android option which tends to be on more as he gets the choice of music, the google maps is actually very good for in town traffic and accident diversions. The only hiccup for me with the discovery system is the issue of inputting postcodes, it is driving me nuts, after 5 months i have now worked out how to do it but its not intuitive.

Six Month Conclusion 10/10

I have driven all manner of vehicles and vans over the last 35 years and having tried the Vivaro’s (and other variants), Mercedes Vito/Vianos and Ford transit customs. I have also previously owned high tops and coach built camper vans so I think I am qualified enough to say this has been a fabulous purchase. The T6 still has me smiling when driving it, it has exceeded my expectations and touch wood I haven't had the issues many have mentioned in this forum yet. It doesn't mean I won't but I am pragmatic about these things and knowing about them helps to be aware and where possible able to pre-empt problems.

The driving over long distances has been effortless and safe, you cannot beat the high driving position, sure-footedness of 4motion and comfort of the DSG and with 204 engine power to spare.

Driving and living in London means I have to accept the odd dinks in the doors and side panels by careless people in car parks and the habit of touch parking! Is this only a city thing? I am also surprised at the number of chips and small scratches on the bonnet and wish I'd perhaps wrapped the bonnet. I have had the off-side wing mirror bashed twice, once by an HGV and it survived both hits I really do need that auto fold update!

I got Starlight blue as a colour as didn't want to stand out too much, back to the idea of stealth camping, (I have only done this once though in Munich and it wasn't a drama) but my goodness is it hard to keep clean, I need to learn a few tricks here.

I have realised of course transporting two bikes and sleeping in the van limits the carrying capacity so I did need a way of occasional loading them outside. I eventually opted for a MaxxRaxx tow bar fix as this gave me the option to remove quickly and was not on show all the time. It stil gives me full access to the rear as well.

One area I haven't yet got right for me is the office configuration and the issue of power I have a leisure battery under the driver’s seat and two 12v/10amp sockets. I have added a 3pin socket inverter and four more USB ports plus USB adaptors in the vehicle sockets. Whilst the van copes the leisure battery doesn't. I have been following the solar panel debate but need to find some sort of solution for this. I don't want to resort to a generator!

I am also still following the threads about awnings v shelters v tents and haven't yet made my mind up on that debate yet either.

The current game is listing all the VCDS changes i want done!

The future (18 mths) plan with the van.

As mentioned a lot of skiing, I do some teaching/ski leading so I am already busy for the coming season.

With regards to mountain biking I want to finish the top ten UK trails and single-track venues. I will be supporting a Lands End to John A’ Groats charity cycle challenge and doing the London to Brighton run again myself. (Just for a giggle)

I also hope to continue my Hill/mountain walking in the National Parks of the UK and Eire to complete my Mountain Leader qualification, hopefully!

it also looks like i will be supporting a Nijmegen Marches team in the Netherlands, and a Trail Walker 100 team again. (I'm not silly enough to do those myself, they are extreme challenges!)

I might actually get some canoe journeys in as I have failed in this so far. So little time and no roof bars.

I am planning various 3-day mid-week tours, need to visit Devon, Cornwall the Northumberland coast ………... maybe even Norfolk!

Then i will probley looking to convert further with a pop top, removable sink/cooker unit and do some extended European travelling as my wife will have retired by then! With this in mind i went to my first VW dub festival at Malvern in Sept. Now that was fun and i very nearly spent an awful lot of money but just about resisted.

If you have read this far then well done, I hope it made sense and was useful to someone looking to do a similar thing.

Most importantly thank you to this forum for assisting me in making so many informed choices.

My T32 204ps DSG 4Motion Highline SWB Kombi drinks fuel.
35mpg is my best I have ever had driving very very steady and not over 70mph. My old T5 2.5L 130bhp T30 2WD Kombi used to get 40 to 45mpg.
The DSG is whiney (noisy) but I still would have it in preference to a manual as I am getting lazy although it is next to useless when driving up or down hills at slow speeds. It hangs onto gears far too long so I have fitted the paddle shifters on my steering wheel so when it does I can shift up. The paddles are also good for over taking as you can do double or triple down shift before going for it but apart from that I hardly ever use them. It only cost me about £100 to do using the standard airbag. I bought a new Passat B8 steering wheel for £120 delivered, and originally used my existing switches and sold the Passat steering wheel switches for £95. But later I bought new switches just like my originals for £75 delivered from Romania which allowed me to build my standard multifunction steering wheel back up which I may sell.
I have also tried the VW Sportline springs for 1710kg/1720kg axle weights and took them back off after 2 months due to bumping off the bump stops on the front. I now have T3o springs taken off a 4Motion DSG as they are stronger than T30 2WD springs. I also have original Devonports but off a T30 with the much smoother Bridgestone Turanza 235/55R17 tyres.
Other changes are the instrument pack is set to Australia market to get rid of that annoying kph second speed display and allow me to have a large speed display when required. I also changed the Auto High Beam Assist activation/cancel speed to 15kph. And I have fitted a Auto Stop/Start memory module to the switch.

Overall: 7/10 and its the last one I will ever buy. They are a total rip off.
Don't get me wrong, I do prefer it compared to my 2003 T5 but there are small things that VW have done that take the pleasure out from buying it like omitting the plastic caps in the rear threshold trim (absolutely pathetic), omitting the air vent controls (also pathetic), omitting the side loading door runner plastic covers (and again pathetic) and the list could go on.
Best Regards

Great review @Allan A nice to hear from a satisfied customer for a change!

Although, @gembleto I do agree with your views on the penny pinching from VW. It's pretty tight!

I love my Caravelle, although I prefer the name Multivan, it's 150 DSG, it drives amazingly, it's luxurious inside (especially compared to my 2008 converted Kombi!) and looks cool as from the outside, but I had to get a Caravelle to get the A/C, noise suppression and comfort I wanted for long distance travel with my family from the factory.

I've done about 2k miles in mine so it's early days to be giving a review yet but the only small complaints I have are little things like putting LED bulbs in 95% of the interior lights but not all of them and the Gear Shifter display being on the left side of the stick. All things that I can change for pennies or live with.

Hi Lukavell, I also agree about halogen interior bulbs and the DSG shifter display and I have also changed all interior bulds to LED including the side door step bulbs. They sell many 10's of thousands of LHD Transporters and they can't be bothered to tool-up for a RHD version of it. I have owned a T4, T5 and now T6 but won't be having another.

Great review, thank you. It's always good to hear what interior configurations members have and how they use their vans. Hope you continue to have so much fun with it.

Back