Carpet lining to an SCA roof

Ditto my feelings as well, they need to take more care and check their work, not rely on people not to let others know that might be having work done next, so they can he aware and check theirs.. I to would post up the results of remedial work and treatment..

@xpfloyd , get some pics of the swarf, as if they scratch it by buffing to remove swarf, which will be then like a brillo pad, you have proof.. They need to try claybaring carefully, or another substance that I will look up..

Last edited:
@slidepods i said in an earlier post I would wait and see what they say and how they go about fixing the issues. If they sort it without any grief I will be sure to write it here so that others see they have good customer service. I don't feel I shouldn't have posted about the issue though as everything I have said is factually correct. My £5k roof doesn't shut right, the tent has holes in it, my bodywork has been scratched and their poor control of swarf has led to rusting marks on my paint all down the rear right corner.

Please don't think I am coming to their defense here. Neither am I condemning them (just trying to be impartial). I agree wholeheartedly that public forums are a place for reviews and experiences to shared, Without them I dare say our workshops would be far quieter as we rely heavily on the positive experiences customers have had being shared in said forums etc to generate future work. The reason I would always advise contacting the conversion company first and giving them a chance to rectify the problems before posting publicly is because they may feel disinclined to provide fantastic customer service once negative views of their company have been expressed. I would always advise someone in your position to contact the company first and let them know you are unhappy with the workmanship and you intend to share your experience publicly once remedial works have been completed, thus giving them the chance to make things right by you and come out of the situation with a honest and (hopefully in the end) positive review.
I am assuming your roof is not the deluxe version (this would explain the seals)
Their is an adjustment on the rear scissor hinges where they attach to the clam shell but that gap looks bigger than the available adjustment??

Ergo it is fitted incorrectly, and the converter has failed in his pdi & quality control checks.. As they should of made sure of sealing at close down position.. The gap is clearly noticeable, might be a bent subframe? But then I don't fit these..

An honest fitter, will work hard to put right and overcome any negative portrayal by giving a good customer experience anyway, as its their workmanship at question in the first instance, and not the owners experience, anything else is a crap company..

They have caused the issue, and not the owner.. Anything else, get sca and courts involved....

Last edited:
That's a fair point @slidepods , perhaps I should have waited. With regards to the seals I originally ordered the 192 deluxe and then waited 3 months. I was then told a 198 start was available now or I may have to wait months more for the deluxe so I opted to take the 198 start. I was told by Banwy that the only difference was the locking mechanism (the 198 start is straps) and the sliding panel on the 192 that closed the gap was not on the 198 start. I made the decision to just go for it to avoid further delays. They didn't mention the seals which is a bit annoying but hey-ho. Since the 198 start was a couple of hundred pounds cheaper the conversion company agreed to install a thermal panel from a 194 (which closes the gap when the roof is closed) and also done the plywood surround (transpires I need to alter this myself though to make it removeable after it's carpeted for running cables etc).

It's going in at 8am tomorrow so i will see what they say

Last edited by a moderator:
Deluxe is an interesting point.... do you know whether yours is the delux version or not????

Last edited:
Deluxe is an inter sting point.... do you know whether yours is the delux version or not????
Think we were typing at the same time. Yeah I downgraded to a 198 start from a 192 deluxe due to the delay for the LWB roofs coming from Germany via Banwy

I have to agree with @xpfloyd, let people know of their full experience, so long as it is factual. If it is crap tell people, they may be in line to go themselves, I wish I'd seen some posts about how crap the company were that did work on my van, because I'd not have used them. And I'd have been right not too. Equally if the problem gets rectified then I'm sure XP will post that up and let everyone know that they bent over backwards, were really apologetic, held their hands up straightaway and di not try to deny anything was wrong or that it was all of his fault and that it was perfect when it left.
The key to most of these problems; piss poor quality control. I mean why were they not going around the van and checking their work was of a high standard before giving the van back?

198 start
192 comfort
194 deluxe

Got mixed up. It was the 192 comfort I ordered and then accepted the 198 start so I was never getting the deluxe at any point. I now have a 198 start with the thermal cover from a 194 deluxe

Thats a real shame @xpfloyd about the roof. I went to see the work at Caledonian Campers and was considering a roof fit there. I sat in a few vans and saw a few details they had missed, cutting out lights, sealing wires etc. I didn't know what the final product was meant to be but saw the faults. They seemed to rectify them quickly.

I have chosen to get a roof fitted by James at Custom campers. Not heard anything but good results from him.

Hopefully they come up trumps and sort all the issues. Will get in touch when i return from offshore to organise a meet for the windows!

Andy

Update - dropped the van in this morning but the director wasn't there so Spoke to the guys in the workshop instead. Showed them the issues and they even pointed out an additional 2 holes in the tent I had missed.

They said they will sort the fitment issue and clay bar the paint issues. I need to wait to hear back from the director to see how the tent will be resolved.

So far so good and a positive response from them

Just had a call from the convertors (3 hours after I dropped the van off!). All issues fixed and tent replaced!

I might not be able to collect the van today due to work but will report back once I've seen it. If sorted then it's been amazing customer service (albeit would have been nice to have been right first time)

Update 2 -

Managed to nip away from work briefly to pick van up -

Paint issues - all sorted, clay bar and machine polished and looks good as new

Roof fitting - looks ok from outside. Haven't had a chance to inspect fully as had to rush back to work so will look tonight. They said two rivets in the sca had popped? And they are now bolted. Will have to have a proper look underneath to see where they have done this

Tent holes - told me on the phone it was a new tent and then when I got there it wasn't. Showed me another van with sca being fitted and tent was the same. They are telling me this is the way they are coming from supplier and if I got a new one it would be the same. They suggested I initially try some nikwax type waterproof product to plug the holes. I agreed to give it a go and if it didn't work I would be back to them. I need to properly assess the holes as they are quite small so it may not be an issue

If the holes are big enough for water droplets to get through then I don't think Nikwax will do anything. I suggest you first try running a gentle hose against the fabric for a few minutes, let it dry thoroughly and repeat (check to make sure water is not flooding in through the holes as you do it - if it does you are wasting your time!). Depending just how big the holes are this may visibly close them up or at least demonstrate they are too small for water droplets to pass though.

See: Weathering canvas bell tents | DuskyDeer

good to hear they have sorted most of it.. bit worrying that the rivets had popped that soon..

@Davenjo - good idea about testing with a hose. I should be able to do that at the weekend. I'm also waiting on Banwy phoning me back as going to run things past them and ask if they recommend a product and see what they say. If they say not to do that then I will go straight back to convertor.

@T6 Dave - not even sure where the rivets are? They have not altered the frame in the gutter so the full adjustment has been made in the roof itself. i need to inspect properly tonight to put my mind at ease that it's not been a bodge fix

Back