Carpet lining to an SCA roof

Just got home and checked over the van. The holes are really only pinhole sized so I'm thinking it won't be an issue. I'll test next time it's raining or I'll run a hose over it.

With regards to the fitment issue they have basically replaced 2 of the Rivets with bolts on the brackets. The bracket appears to be in the same position as the other side. See photos below -

Passenger side (unaltered)
IMG_3154.JPG

Drivers side following repair -

IMG_3155.JPG

It now sits perfectly on the outside.

Thoughts?

what was the problem with replacing original rivets then.. and what caused them to pop? phone sca importers up, as to me somethings not right..

I think I'll contact Banwy tomorrow and ask advice on the photos. It now functions correctly but it seems a bit odd.

There's a slight gap between the bracket and the roof frame on that side but not on the other

Passenger side - no gap
IMG_3157.JPG

Drivers side - slight gap

IMG_3158.JPG

Just thinking there, I wonder if this is because they would have had to remove that bracket to paint the roof and then reattach as the only roof available was the wrong colour. Could it be they didn't rivet it properly? I just removed the ply trim on the inside and the two bolts are through the skin of the van so it's not going anywhere now

yeah, but why is brkt out one side.. even slightly loose rivets.. not sure how you would do that, take some force..

Last edited:
Yeah not too sure. Only thing I can think of is that they didn't install the two rivets correctly and they popped the first time the roof was opened and closed.

the cap at the back of the brkt that is out a bit looks like its been catching on the roof?

I think I'll contact Banwy tomorrow and ask advice on the photos. It now functions correctly but it seems a bit odd.

There's a slight gap between the bracket and the roof frame on that side but not on the other

Passenger side - no gap
View attachment 8280

Drivers side - slight gap

View attachment 8281
For me buddy, something just does not seem right. It almost seems like a bodge fix for me. Would definately recommend taking it to an independent SCA expert to get their view.

For me buddy, something just does not seem right. It almost seems like a bodge fix for me. Would definately recommend taking it to an independent SCA expert to get their view.
The problem I've got is that they are 1 of 3 approved in Scotland and the others are a serious distance away. I think I'll just email the photos to Karen at Banwy and see what she says. If it's faulty it's a warranty fix anyway but it won't be an easy fix, that's why I'm wondering if it's better to just accept it as it is as it's solid and fits well now

no, dont accept it if its wrong, this will invalidate any type approvals, and in future if you sell, someone might notice and try to knock you on price.. if its not right now, it needs putting right, youve paid good monies..

Im not comfortable passing judgement as its not my place to say.
As a customer its up to you to decide if you are happy with the work that has been carried out or not. (Sorry for sitting on the fence)

no, dont accept it if its wrong, this will invalidate any type approvals, and in future if you sell, someone might notice and try to knock you on price.. if its not right now, it needs putting right, youve paid good monies..
Cheers Dave, Ill speak to Banwy and see what they say regarding the issue and the warranty etc

@xpfloyd , take solace from the fact that hilo roofs were interested in a members negative experience.. SCA or Karren should let you know if it meets their standards..

Rivets don't just pop so I wouldn't be too happy with them saying that. They're fairly chunky rivets also so would be a big force for them to pull through. Hopefully when they removed the 'faulty' rivets they drilled them out correctly and didn't widen the hole at all, resulting in them needing to fit a bolt? I would bet the bolt diameter is larger than the diameter of the rivet.

Anyway, good response from them about fixing so quickly. I would enquire a bit more about the bolts though, if they have popped, then why can't they re-fit rivets. If they're worried about them popping again then fair enough, but SCA approve the use of rivets for a reason. What type of nut is on the inside of the van, a nyloc? It will need to be monitored to see if its going to work loose or not.

Be interesting to hear what they say about the canvas from Banwy, wouldn't imagine a canvas with holes is what is usually supplied.

Banwy said dont worry about pinholes and on further inspection they are just pinnholes so I'm less concerned about the tent now

Here's the inside view of the bolts
IMG_3163.JPG

No washers and no locking mechanism, and on an angle. I would personally remove the nut, and fit a washer and a spring washer. Or a nyloc but if you can find one that will fit!

Back