Carpet lining to an SCA roof

Banwy said dont worry about pinholes and on further inspection they are just pinnholes so I'm less concerned about the tent now

Here's the inside view of the bolts
View attachment 8287
Jeez, talk about over speccing! What were they expecting to hold together with those bolts? Is there a risk that because they are so long that they could snag on the fabric when it's all folded away?
Would agree that getting some washers in there would be a good idea.

I would have said that I am surprised that they have not fitted any, but then balanced that thought up with how it appears to have been fitted and then rivets swapped for bolts - so am actually not at all surprised that washers haven't been fitted!

They are just standard 6mm roofing bolts (electricians use them all the time) Penny washer and nyloc bolt are readily available and if not I will post some to you.

Those are cheap n nasty "bolts" with the crap small square "nuts".. Can't remember what their intended use is, but not automotive.. Wants wide headed Allan bolts with washers n nylocks, or better still domed nuts..

Those are cheap n nasty "bolts" with the crap small square "nuts".. Can't remember what their intended use is, but not automotive.. Wants wide headed Allan bolts with washers n nylocks, or better still domed nuts..
Usually bolting cable tray together! Not usually used in the automotive industry.

Tonight after work I removed all the ply lining on the underside and had a proper look. Although the bolts are longer than they need to be the square nut is actually quite handy as its sitting with a full edge on the van metalwork above so theres no way it can unwind by vibration or whatever (It has a screw domed head so thats how they got it on). Theres no chance it will snag anything as once the ply is on again nothing can get near them.

Spoke to Karen at Banwy on the phone today after sending her photos and she doesnt see a major problem with it although wondered why they didnt just re-rivet it. She said its the 3 rivets at the top that take the weight and handle any forces and the bottom 3 are just there as extra fixings but "dont do much". She said my warranty will not be affected by the way its been fixed. She also sent me a follow up email to that effect.

Taking all that into consideration im just going to keep it as-is I think as its a really strong fixing now compared to what would be achieved with rivets as the bracket would normally only be rivetted through the gel coat but the bolts are through steel. And more importantly I cant be arsed with the hassle and delay of putting it back in. I just want to get cracked on with the carpetting and flooring now

Exactly what I was referring to.

I could probably swap them out for different bolts but these honestly look man enough considering it is replacing a rivet. Ill ask the question when I get a hold of the supervisor at the convertors tomorrow

If I handed in my van for a roof install and got it back with gutter bolts in that state I would blow a fuse and shit would hit the fan big time! I am so supprised that there is differences in the quality of workmanship, I would have assumed to become an installer of any brand you would be required to attend a certified training course and carry out the install exactly as per manufactures specifications. I appreciate that there are talented people ( in my experience Exploria and Slide pods, sure there are many more) out there can can have a superior finish in quality with carpet lining, panelling etc but the structural install should be standard for everyone and finished to a high standard using recommended tools and parts.

A friend got his van back a few months ago from having windows installed (which initially looked great) and they used a jigsaw which is fine but the didn't not mask off the van so he ended up with thousands of specs of dwarf melted into the rubber window seals which have now all turned rusty and look like shit on a brand new van. Gotta be so careful of substandard workmanship when handing over such a high value vehicle.

Unfortunately there are a huge amount of cowboys out there, and couldn't care less about your van - only your money I.e getting it from your pocket into theirs!

These guys are "approved" sca installers. I wonder what's involved in the approval process

Ya a couple of stainless steel button caps will tidy it up for you, and you'll forget about it soon enough it just maddening to see someone has done work like that in sombodies potiential pride and joy!
I am probably a bit annoyed today anyway and looking for somewhere to vent!! After waiting three months for my new van it arrives today with no electric latching doors, no single front captains seats got 2 + 1 and no aux battery, windows on back door when I wanted solid!!! I'm only glad the sales man phoned me and I didn't turn up on site and face him. I know those items could be added but I told him keep it and get what I want on a VIP order within four weeks which he said he will!! So I'll wait and see ( the fu**ing donkey)

Part of me wants to go back and say take the two bolts out and put two rivets in sonthat it's a standard install. The worry is though that the rivets won't be doing anything as the hole may be wider now due to the bolts. It may look the part but may in fact be weaker than the bolt solution. I'm torn what to do.

The one thing I couldn't do myself to the van and it's been hassle. At least I know the stuff I'm doing myself is done right

You could get him to install a little plate on the back side with correct size wholes the put the river through the existing whole and new ones on the plate, use slightly longer rivet maybe and would look like an OEM finish!! Paint the little plate same colour as your van

There's no way in to the back side of the piece the rivets go through now. You would have to remove the entire roof and frame to get to it. That's why when they bolted it they went all the way through until they got to the van original steel

Whilst slightly botched and annoying, its hardly noticable so unless you fancy kicking off, seems like you have to accept it. As you have an email confirming its not affecting warranty id crack on with all the stuff you have planned and forget about it.

I didn't see the part where they agreed to stand over warranty issues related to this, in that case fix it with some tidy bolts yourself and as Pukka suggests crack on with the rest of your conversion, put it behind you and enjoy the van.

Back