Carpet lining to an SCA roof

xpfloyd

T6 Legend
I got my van back today after having the SCA roof fitted. I asked the convertor not to carpet the plywood they trimmed it off with as I wanted to do it myself when I do the walls so that it all matches. The SCA roof has a rubber edge around the frame and the convertor says they normally carpet up to that. I'm wondering if I would be best completely removing the rubber and carpeting around and over the fibreglass frame (the reason I ask is that the rubber doesn't look great in a couple of locations where it isn't sitting correctly)

Has anyone done this? Can someone with an SCA post a pic to show where the carpet ends please?

IMG_3133.JPG

Here's what I mean. I'm thinking of removing that rubber and continuing the carpet over the blue frame above.

(The residue is because they actually carpeted it when they weren't supposed to so I had to remove it as it was a colour different to the one I want to install)

Odd... sca roofs do not come supplied with a rubber edge.. that looks like window trim to me.

@slidepods weird, so when the SCA is normally fitted is it just the edge of the fibre glass frame you see and then carpet over it? I assume the convertor has added the trim to finish it off albeit a different way than usual

Technically yes until it is trimmed in correctly. We dont carpet the fiberglass. We install a carpeted ply panel that meets up to the gel coat edge it gives a nice clean finish and requires no rubber trim.

Thanks @slidepods , I've had a peek under the trim and they have actually done the ply neatly to that edge so I think I'll remove the rubber and carpet to the gel coat like you say

@Walski Thanks for posting. The rubber trim is definitely getting removed and I will carpet up to the sca. I just need to have a think about how to attach the carpeted ply trim pieces without seeing the screws. I need to be able to attach it after the carpet as I need it removed to run the cables for the lights.

Long, wide Velcro ?
Trouble with velcro is if it's the self adhesive type the glue loses strength when the van gets hot in summer. There is some available that can be used for hanging pictures etc. That may be better, the instructions say to let the adhesive cure for 10 minuted after sticking to allow it to build up strength, that may be worth a test some place warm first?

Velcro is a good shout, I hadnt thought of that. I used upholstery stuff a few years ago to put up a black out curtain when my son was a baby and when I removed it it actually damaged the wooden window surround as it was stuck so hard.

Im actually having to take the van back to the convertors on monday as there are a few issues with the roof. The drivers side rear corner doesnt close down tight when the roof is down, I can actually get a flat hand in the gap. Its as if that rear corner has been set too high. The other issue is that the tent has 4 holes in it quite close together. They are very small but big enough that you can see the light in the otherwise dark tent, annoying since its a brand new item!. Finally the rear corner of the van has not been cleaned of metal filings properly and they have now rusted on my paint. They are one of three approved SCA installed in Scotland but these issues have pissed me right off especially since its close to £5k for the roof

Velcro is a good shout, I hadnt thought of that. I used upholstery stuff a few years ago to put up a black out curtain when my son was a baby and when I removed it it actually damaged the wooden window surround as it was stuck so hard.

Im actually having to take the van back to the convertors on monday as there are a few issues with the roof. The drivers side rear corner doesnt close down tight when the roof is down, I can actually get a flat hand in the gap. Its as if that rear corner has been set too high. The other issue is that the tent has 4 holes in it quite close together. They are very small but big enough that you can see the light in the otherwise dark tent, annoying since its a brand new item!. Finally the rear corner of the van has not been cleaned of metal filings properly and they have now rusted on my paint. They are one of three approved SCA installed in Scotland but these issues have pissed me right off especially since its close to £5k for the roof
Sorry you are having issues with your new roof!

Is the rear corner issue with the rubber not fitting snug against the van when the roof is down? If it is, we had similar but, as promised, it fixed itself as we had a bit of warmer weather and the rubbers were allowed to relax a bit.

If the holes in the canvas are like tiny pin pricks then I wouldn't worry too much about them - chances are they will close up once the canvas has had a good soaking (we had similar with a canvas tent - these tiny holes are normal in heavy canvas and you need a quality canvas tent to get wet before it becomes fully waterproof - most holes will close up once the canvas has chance to weather).

Here's the passenger side rear corner which is fine
IMG_3141.JPG

But here's the drivers side rear corner

IMG_3142.JPG
IMG_3143.JPG

Here's the pin holes in the tent.

IMG_3130.JPG

Blimey, that's terrible fitting. Clearly they have snagged the canvas as well. Take it back make them put it right. Then name and shame.

Looks like the back is twisted - not the same issue I had with my seals bedding in. Agree with @DaveyB , the holes are not normal canvas features and do look more like the canvas has been snagged - is it anywhere near the hinges or clips?

Blimey, that's terrible fitting. Clearly they have snagged the canvas as well. Take it back make them put it right. Then name and shame.

I'm taking it back Monday. I was just going to leave it initially but it annoys me every time I look at the van and see the gap. Hopefully the can re-fix the frame a bit lower at that one corner as the rest of the roof is fine. I'm not sure how these things attach though so not sure how big a job that is to adjust.

Do you think I'm within my rights to ask for a new tent? Or am I being too picky?

Back