Carpet lining to an SCA roof

I'll let you know the outcome of Monday when I take it down to them

Last edited by a moderator:
The holes are to the rear of the side window so not at the hinges
Good - there is no chance they can try and get away with saying you have done it via clumsy closing/latching (I always put my fingers behind the clips when tightening to ensure no canvas is in the way). New canvas or negotiate some money back!!

Re the fitting at the rear corner..... try lifting the roof and putting back down again. Sometimes (e.g. if your closing while parked on a slant) the hinges can just move out slightly and the roof doesn't bed down fully. A lift, a wiggle and re drop sorts it out..... or make sure you are on the flat.

Good - there is no chance they can try and get away with saying you have done it via clumsy closing/latching (I always put my fingers behind the clips when tightening to ensure no canvas is in the way). New canvas or negotiate some money back!!
I'd be demanding a new canvas, as money back won't keep the rain out.

I'd be demanding a new canvas, as money back won't keep the rain out.
Depends how much money is offered - very little/if any rain would come through that and even if it did, albeit a bit unsightly from the inside, a fix would be easy.

They gave me patch material in a little pouch so I could just patch it but I shouldn't have to be doing that on day one. I'll see what they say. Not sure how much money I would feel was acceptable. The bigger issue is the roof not closing properly though and the rusting metal flakes on my paint!

They gave me patch material in a little pouch so I could just patch it but I shouldn't have to be doing that on day one. I'll see what they say. Not sure how much money I would feel was acceptable. The bigger issue is the roof not closing properly though and the rusting metal flakes on my paint!
Agreed - just see what they say.

A bit of further investigation today and I can see what the issue is. On the corner where the roof is sittinmg high the sca frame can be seen to be sitting high in the gutter. On the opposite side where it's fine the metal bracket is sitting right down in the gutter, on the issue side the top of the bracket is in line with the top of the gutter as can be seen below. They really can't argue this one away once I show them this.
IMG_3149.JPG

PPF indeed. Its only for about the forst 600mm and then its fine. From above you can see the point where it drops back down to the correct position in the gutter. Also noticed they have made 2 big scratches down the side of my van :mad:. No doubt they will deny it was them

PPF indeed. Its only for about the forst 600mm and then its fine. From above you can see the point where it drops back down to the correct position in the gutter. Also noticed they have made 2 big scratches down the side of my van :mad:. No doubt they will deny it was them
So annoying, feel for you. The people that did my lining and reimo rail did a p1ss poor job, and put a scratch in he roof and covered it up with brushed white paint. Was months before I saw it. Just can't stand people that you entrust with your pride and joy who don't treat it with the respect they should. They do not deserve to be in business.

A bit of further investigation today and I can see what the issue is. On the corner where the roof is sittinmg high the sca frame can be seen to be sitting high in the gutter. On the opposite side where it's fine the metal bracket is sitting right down in the gutter, on the issue side the top of the bracket is in line with the top of the gutter as can be seen below. They really can't argue this one away once I show them this.
View attachment 8199
Not good. A couple of photos of my SCA194 for comparison (note to self: must remember to lift the pop top next time I clean the van!!). The frame definitely seems to sit into the gutter a bit better than yours does but there is still a bit of a gap when the roof is down (not as bad as yours appears to be). However, in my case the gap is not so obvious as a result of the skirt like rubber seal around the edge of the pop top - your seals appear to be very different?

IMG_2633.jpg

IMG_2634.jpg

@Davenjo Thanks for posting the photos. Thats weird how we have different seals? The flap on yours looks far superior for keeping water out. If they can just get that back corner down ill be happy as the rest of it is fine fitment wise. Then theres just the issue of the holes in the tent, scratches on the paint and swarf rusting on my paint o_O

I don't know if these roofs are generic or if there are variants shaped to fit different van makes? The skirt like seals would definitely fit with a one size fits all type approach?

We recently fitted a pre painted sca that was delivered with scratches in the paintwork and a small hole in the canvass. Due to the roofs having such a long lead time we contacted the customer who agreed that we should fit it and send it to have the clam shell re painted (at the expence of the couriers). We replaced the canvass immediately as our suppliers sent us a new one on a next day service. No doubt these issues are frustrating but it is deffinately best to give the fitters a chance to put the issues right before posting about it in a public forum. :thumbsup:

We recently fitted a pre painted sca that was delivered with scratches in the paintwork and a small hole in the canvass. Due to the roofs having such a long lead time we contacted the customer who agreed that we should fit it and send it to have the clam shell re painted (at the expence of the couriers). We replaced the canvass immediately as our suppliers sent us a new one on a next day service. No doubt these issues are frustrating but it is deffinately best to give the fitters a chance to put the issues right before posting about it in a public forum. :thumbsup:
Agree but it does look a bit of a dog's dinner. Are you able to answer re different seals on our roofs? Are they generic or are there different versions for different vehicles?

Mine looks same as @Davenjo with a flexy seal around the edge. Interestingly, Caledonia campers have a feature write up in this months VWt..... if you need to play hard ball could always threaten to write into VWt with your view of their work!!!

IMG_0636.JPG
IMG_0639.JPG

@slidepods i said in an earlier post I would wait and see what they say and how they go about fixing the issues. If they sort it without any grief I will be sure to write it here so that others see they have good customer service. I don't feel I shouldn't have posted about the issue though as everything I have said is factually correct. My £5k roof doesn't shut right, the tent has holes in it, my bodywork has been scratched and their poor control of swarf has led to rusting marks on my paint all down the rear right corner.

Back