Carista - Transmission mileage much higher than engine mileage - what's going on?

I would ask for the dealers official response to this discrepancy in writing. I would love to know if main dealers take a full scan during routine services, I very much doubt it but would be a good way to verify mileage. As previously mentioned clock mileage is easy to change via OBD, DSG mileage needs to be done connected to gearbox so those who do large mileage and wind back before MOT/service I doubt go to the trouble.
Exactly that. Take it back and ask for a reason for the discrepancy. If you're not satisfied with the explanation or they fob you off then take it up the chain. It could well be evidence of electronic clocking and they should be able to tell.
I don't know anything about the DSG system but I did wonder if it counted operating time. Maybe a pump runs constantly, even in neutral and this is somehow related to that. Admittedly that doesn't explain why it would be measured in miles/kilometres.

I get that there seems to be this consistent difference of around 4k between the two transmission mileage values, but it is the 44,067km difference between the engine mileage/odometer reading, and the reading for the transmission mileage on my van?

Yes, sorry, was still expanding on difference between two different Carista reported transmission mileage values - that was a question as well but I agree it does not help to figure out why engine vs transmission mileages differ.

Edit: still interesting though and seems IDE03171-ENG102987 is some kind of calculated wear and tear indicator as per Mileage Information Mismatch on Transmission Module, Can Audi's be altered?

Surely that is a big concern/worry when my van is only supposed to have done ~32k miles, but the transmission milage is showing ~60k miles?!

I agree and would be concerned as well. I think this is not normal and the suggestion to enquire the dealer is the correct way forward.

Last edited:
Thanks the everyone who has taken the time to share information and reply to me - I really appreciate it.

Stumbled on this thread right after searching for the same thing, but with my 2014 MK3 Seat Leon FR.

Bought it used in 2018 with around 45K km on the odometer, and yeah, the car looked, felt and ran as a car with low mileage. Pristine condition.

It's now at around 77K on the odometer, but I've just run Carista and it's reporting that the ECM Mileage is at 208k! I find it hard to believe, as the car definitely does not have the wear signs of a car with such high mileage. The engine mileage is spot on with the odometer reading.

I'll keep digging for more information, but I'm leaning towards it being a false alarm. Fingers crossed!

Could it be that the dsg ‘ mileage’ is measured at the input shaft therefore different driving conditions would affect this measurement- lots of motorway work in a high gear would show less mileage than town work for example where lower gears are used more. I am certainly no expert on this but just a suggestion

Could it be that the dsg ‘ mileage’ is measured at the input shaft therefore different driving conditions would affect this measurement- lots of motorway work in a high gear would show less mileage than town work for example where lower gears are used more. I am certainly no expert on this but just a suggestion
No, it's been clocked or had replacement mechatronic. Mileage correction is prevalent nowdays and you can't tell visually or physically difference between 77k and 208k on a vehicle that has been up and down motorways constantly. Gone are the days a shiny clutch pedal or gearknob give sit away. Now it's harder for a taxi to hide their wear and tear but a sales rep driving length and breadth of the country with a car on a very restrictive mileage lease can. Time your correction before servicing and MOT and it's easy to hide an extra 20-30k per year.

Clocking is very common these days I'm afraid. Lots of commercial customers run their vehicles like this. Exactly as jayc001 says above, it saves them an absolute fortune in depreciation and servicing costs. It keeps the vehicle in warrant too. Probably not what you want to hear, sorry.

Here's an update of where I am with the VW dealership.

I have documented the evidence that I have collated that points towards some form of clocking taking place with the mileage, as follows:
  • Carista live data - engine mileage ~32k miles vs Transmission mileage ~64k miles
  • OBDEleven (purchased to see if that showed similar figures) - same figures seen for Mileage and Transmission as Carista
  • OBDEleven - total infotainment run time of 3337 hours (would only be an average of 10mph driving when that system has been on, if the instrument odometer of 32k-ish was accurate)
  • Independent local garage who focus on VW (I believe a former VW Master Technician) - also connected to an OBD and saw same figues on the Transmission ECU)
  • Other wear and tear that I'm aware of which may indicate higher mileage - very worn steering wheel which they repaired/refurbished (to average standard) prior to my purchase), partially worn DSG gear knob, noticed that they replaced a seat belt in pre-sale inspection, heavily stone-chipped front bumper which they sorted/resprayed prior to my purchase.
  • During phone call, advised that it had been driven 11k miles in first 10 months that previous owner had it. He had it a total of 53 months, which at that rate, would give rough mileage of 59k. They try to explain this due to Covid/lockdown, but even assuming it wasn't used for 6 months, that still seems a big discrepancy.
  • Finally, after some further driving of the van, I have rechecked the engine and transmission mileage figures in Carista - all had gone up by the same amount after driving 180km, give or take a km on one figure, so that rules out the possibility that the transmission mileage was just going up more quikcly than the others.
In trying to work out how this could have happened, I also stumbled across a website selling a mileage blocker for "vehicle testing". Basically, a device that connects behind the instrument panel and allows the driver to turn of the odometer from recording, or only record 25% or 50% of the actual mileage. The website selling this even indicates that it would highlight a mileage discrepancy if the vehicle was connected to an ODB, unless the user also purchases a similar device to connect to the Transmission. Stunned that it could be this easy, but gives a plausible explanation as to how it could have happened.

The sales manager got back to me today (by phone) and has advised that he has spoken with his Master Technician. He said that the Master Technician said that he has used both Carista and OBDEleven and that they have a tendency to give out inaccurate data/figures and that they can't read into this. I feel that they are basically trying to downplay the clear discrepancy in the data as well as all of the other indicators that the van may have been clocked or fitted with a mileage blocker at some point.

I live 300 miles away from the dealership, so it's not easy to return it to them to let them check, but their company have a dealership/service centre around 50 miles away from me, where they will try and arrange for me to take it to be checked. I also asked if I could try and get my local VW Van Service Centre to examine it and they are open to that, though I believe that they only have one Van engineer, so it may not be possible to arrange this very quickly.

Tomorrow is day 30 (from day of purchase), but he has told me that I will be OK as I have raised this within the first 30 days of ownership. They also appear to have escalated it within their company as I received an email indicating that it is a "complaint". The Sales Manager does say he is being "open minded", though does seem sceptical.

Thoughts? Am I wrong in thinking that it is far more likely than not that my van has either been clocked or had a mileage blocker used?Screenshot_20231116_093335_Carista.jpgScreenshot_20231110_080332_Carista.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of thoughts - any MOT advisories and tyre and/or brake pad or disc replacement to date.
Surely if the dealer knows the van and the previous owner, they should be able to put your mind at rest (and obviously can’t )

A couple of thoughts - any MOT advisories and tyre and/or brake pad or disc replacement to date.
Surely if the dealer knows the van and the previous owner, they should be able to put your mind at rest (and obviously can’t )
There were a couple of hold-ups/delays after agreeing to buy it. First, they highlighted the stone chips and steering wheel themselves and took time to sort them out. Then the day before the rearranged pick-up, they shared that a recall check had thrown up something and they couldn't get all the parts in time.

2 days before I was finally due to collect, they put it through an MOT and it failed. Major fault was "Engine MIL inoperative or indicates a malfunction" and minor was "Oil leak but not excessive". I was told that during the recall work, a fuse wasn't replaced or was damaged that was the reason for the inoperative MIL light and that it was a light misting of oil from the service that hadn't been properly wiped clean.

It had passed it's other two previous MOTs without even an advisory, so I was disappointed and a bit concerned by this, but they did enough to reassure me that they weren't major issues. It went through an MOT with no advisories the next day. These MOT issues were actually the reason I bought Carista in the first place as I wanted to make sure there were no fault codes or anything that I was missing after the first MOT fail.

Also, on my drive home (300 miles in total) I got a blow out on the motorway. Turned out that there had been a nail or screw in the tyre and on further investigation I realised that none of the 4 tyres were load rated for a T32 van. They did agree to replace with 4 new tyres and have refunded the cost of these already.

Tomorrow is day 30 (from day of purchase), but he has told me that I will be OK as I have raised this within the first 30 days of ownership
I think you’ll find whether you’ve raised it or not the limit applies.
I checked my van with Carista today, both values are exactly the same. From what you say they are spouting BS.

Personally I would reject the van.

OBDEleven
The DSG can tell when it was build - separate dates for mechatronics and transmission. Do they match with van's build date?
Possibly under OBDeleven live data:
- Mechatronics identification​
- Production data transmission​

I’d formally reject the van by email to the dealer and then negotiate from there. At least you are then not time barred if they later change their mind on having a complaint raised was not sufficient.

There were a couple of hold-ups/delays after agreeing to buy it. First, they highlighted the stone chips and steering wheel themselves and took time to sort them out. Then the day before the rearranged pick-up, they shared that a recall check had thrown up something and they couldn't get all the parts in time.

2 days before I was finally due to collect, they put it through an MOT and it failed. Major fault was "Engine MIL inoperative or indicates a malfunction" and minor was "Oil leak but not excessive". I was told that during the recall work, a fuse wasn't replaced or was damaged that was the reason for the inoperative MIL light and that it was a light misting of oil from the service that hadn't been properly wiped clean.

It had passed it's other two previous MOTs without even an advisory, so I was disappointed and a bit concerned by this, but they did enough to reassure me that they weren't major issues. It went through an MOT with no advisories the next day. These MOT issues were actually the reason I bought Carista in the first place as I wanted to make sure there were no fault codes or anything that I was missing after the first MOT fail.

Also, on my drive home (300 miles in total) I got a blow out on the motorway. Turned out that there had been a nail or screw in the tyre and on further investigation I realised that none of the 4 tyres were load rated for a T32 van. They did agree to replace with 4 new tyres and have refunded the cost of these already.

I agree with @DXX and others, I would reject the van, if you don't, but wish to sell it at any time in the future you would be obliged to declare your knowledge which would devalue it significantly and put most buyers off altogether.
I'd like to think that the dealership were innocent in this, either way it does not affect their liability, the van is not as described and you are entitled to reject it.

Thanks for all of your advice and thoughts everyone.

I have actually just realised that today is day 30, if you include the day that I collected the van (Sun 22nd Oct) as day 1.

It now has me thinking that I should put something in writing about rejecting the van before midnight - even just emailing to confirm that I am stating within the first 30 days that I am prepared to reject the van?

If I email them to formally reject the van - what will the next steps be? Ie. Is it automatically moving on to return/refund, or is there time for further investigation/negotiation about how the issues can be resolved?

Reject and then start negotiating.
There is no written end to this story. It could be return and refund, partial compensation or Court.
Letter of rejection will not make the transition swift. The dealer may want to have their lawyer to reply to you and any further friendly conversation is now dead.
I would personally ask compensation. Find a similar Van at the correct mileage and get them to pay the difference back to you. Then either keep or sell the van.

Back