Carista - How I Done It -

Dellmassive

T32 204 DSG LWB SLN PV MY18 & T30 SWB KMB MY67
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Master
Carista - How I Done It -

Part-1

Modern cars and vans are now technologically very advanced, gone are the old days of “points and condenser” or distributer caps, spark plug leads and the like.

The Dark-Art of vehicle diagnostics was always something the main dealers wanted to keep very secret . . . . . and for a while they got their own way.

In later years this was to all change with the standardisation and formation of OBD and OBDII protocols which all the main manufactures had to abide by. The main reason for this was so that 3rd party repair shops would be able to work on your motor and chip away at the monopolisation that the big manufacture’s had at the time.

The olden days saw a wash of various OBDII plug-in tools that aftermarket garages could purchase which would enable them to start gaining access to the mysteries that were auto-diagnostics….

Company’s like Launch, Snapon, Autel, Bosh etc etc jumped on the bandwagon and started producing their own OBDII tools, the more cash you spent on the tool meant the more advance diagnostics you could get out of the ECU`s in the car. . . . .

Moving right into the current era we now have the internet, smartphones, tablets, youtube and Wikipedia. . . . . This is where Carista comes into play.

The Cleaver guys at Carista developed a cheap Bluetooth OBDII adapter that could be plugged into your motor and paired up with an APP on your smart device and enable you to view fault codes . . . . . Nothing new right? . . . . been done before right? . . . . . well the Carista guys took it one step further.

With the APP installed and subscribed too they can offer advanced diagnostics and more interesting is the coding and adaptions that can be done. Because the system works over the internet Carista HQ can continually update and upgrade the available option and adaptions on an on going basis.

lets have a look at what you get.

Capture.JPG

The front page gives you this to work with:

Need to diagnose a warning light? Want to activate hidden features and get rid of annoying beeps? Want to have dealer tools in your glovebox? Carista gives you all of that for a fraction of the cost of a single dealer visit.

Carista supports a wide range of models by Volkswagen, Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mini, Scion, Toyota, SEAT and Skoda. Get the Carista OBD2 adapter and you will receive:

· Free 1-month trial of paid app features

· Compatibility with a multitude of partner apps

· Support for both Android and iOS

1. Advanced features are only supported on certain models by Volkswagen, Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mini, Scion, Toyota, SEAT and Skoda. Please make sure your car is supported before purchasing the adapter.

2. Purchasing the Carista OBD2 adapter gives you a 1-month free trial of all paid functionality in the Carista app. To continue using these features after the trial expires you must purchase a subscription.

Capture1.JPG

This is what you get we you buy Carista. . . . . . it doesn’t look much, but what your paying for is the power of the APP and back-end.

20180912_134858.jpg

The unit plugs into the OBDII port on the van, that the Purple socket under the drivers side dash panel . . . . . you may never have even noticed it before.

20180912_134920.jpg

Once plugged in it powers up and your ready to go. . . . .

20180912_134941.jpg

Next thing is to download the APP from the play store or apple store. It’s a small app and installs in seconds. You need to pair your new carista to your phone in the same way you do with any other Bluetooth device.

Once connected you have this . . . . .

20180912_142116.jpg

Simples right . . . . . . . . . Now the diagnose bit is FREE for life. . . . . just click that (make sure the ignition is on, but engine not running)

The results come back for mine with 3 faults – simply make a note of them. When you click each fault code it will do an internet search for the code so you can see what its all about.

in my case:
ABS was the front left wheel puncture.

IMOBILISER was the Ghost (tried starting without putting code in).
Battery Regulator – left the Carista plugged in overnight.

20180912_135103.jpg

I clicked “reset all” which it did . . . . . the next scan showed 0 faults. . . . . job done.

Next on the list is Customize . . . . . this is the most awesome bit of Carista (and as such you need to pay and subscribe for a year or just pay a one off for each customization)

Once its scanned your motor it feeds you back the various systems that you can interact with . . .

20180912_142217.jpg

continued on page-2 below

More info over here > Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

Last edited:
part-2

In our case with the T6, the list is extensive . . . . . so instead of writing it all down ill screen shot each page of the options. . . . .

P1:

20180912_142226.jpg

p2;

20180912_142244.jpg

p3;

20180912_142259.jpg

p4;

20180912_142304.jpg

p5;

20180912_142310.jpg

p6;

20180912_142316.jpg

p7;

20180912_142325.jpg

continued on page-3 below.

Last edited:
Part-3

So as you can see, its as simple as that . . . . . just click and select.

The cleaver guys at Carista will do all the hard work for you at HQ and puch the new customizations over the internet to you phone . . . . then through the dongle and recode your motor.

The link for it on amazon is here : https://amzn.to/395VrwX

the link for HQ is here :
Carista OBD2 App | Diagnose, customize and service your car

and below is the pricing structure:
Capture2.JPG

Oh, and if you have Tourqe . . . . . . . . . . it works with that too!
Capture3.JPG

Now its not a dealer level tool, nor is it VCDS, But if your just looking as an end-user looking to add a few tweeks to your motor then its perfect.

More advance diagnostics like reading PID`s, Bi-directional control, module coding etc is more a job for VCDS or others . . . . but well cover that a different day.

So that my little look at Carista for you all.

Would I recommend it? – Yes absolutely. For £15 it will give you an insight into the world of fault codes and what those orange lights on the dash mean. It can help you decide if the fault is serious or not and most importantly give you knowledge when you take your van into the dealer knowing what the problem is before they try and baffle you with science.

Also dont forget that fault codes alone are not an excuse to change parts . . . . . . a decent motor tech will take the fault codes as an indication of a fault and direction. Then carry out proper diagnostics in the area to find the exact fault and test each component until the exact problem has been identified.

I'll do a quick video that will be accompany this just so you get a idea of a live demonstration.

I Hope that answers some questions, any comments or suggestions leave them below.

If you would like any other videos or write ups comment below or drop me a PM.

Have a great day and remember with . . . . . Carista – Knowledge is power -

heres the video thats in addition to the write up. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Edit:

Common Mods you can make with Carista:

DRL can now be dissabled via Carista

MMI service mode can now be enabled vis Carista (hold menu for 10sec)

Auto Door Locking/unlocking

Audible Beep on lock/unblock

Needle sweep at startup

Seat belt warning

Lane change flasher count

Coming/Leaving Home lights

Cornering Fog lights

Windscreen Tear wipe

Edit:
Version update jan19.

New in v3.8 beta:
- Advanced diagnostics for Nissan/Infiniti & Renault/Dacia
- Calibration IDs in Toyota detailed ECU info
- New customizations for all brands
Please try all customizations with a yellow "Send feedback" button!

EDIT:

If you have the Carista dongle then you can also use other 3rd party "APPS"

like this one - Torque, its been around for ages and works well with the Carista unit, it great for reading live data from the van

Lite - Free - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torquefree&hl=en_GB

Pro paid for - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en_GB

heres a couplke of pics from the other day.

20190213_071425.jpg Screenshot_20190213-081652_Torque.jpg Screenshot_20190213-081731_Torque.jpg Screenshot_20190213-081744_Torque.jpg Screenshot_20190213-081807_Torque.jpg

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

Last edited:
Very good @Dellmassive. One question though chap, does the subscription get charged to your phone bill for your smart device, or do you pay via your card?

Very good @Dellmassive. One question though chap, does the subscription get charged to your phone bill for your smart device, or do you pay via your card?

with me i used paypall to pay . . . . . it come through as a purchase from the "google Play store"

so card/bank account via paypall . . . . . . tied to my Gmail account.

Any ideas on this chaps?
New to carista and somehow managed to loose faults off system trying to upgrade and enter my purchase details

Fault code is P0121 had orange coil light flashing but lost it of the dash somehow, is this anything to worry about??
Cheers nick

Any ideas on this chaps?
New to carista and somehow managed to loose faults off system trying to upgrade and enter my purchase details

Fault code is P0121 had orange coil light flashing but lost it of the dash somehow, is this anything to worry about??
Cheers nick

No problem with that.

The light will come back on in the next drive cycle if it's a current hard fault.

Then just Re read the codes.

Part-3

So as you can see, its as simple as that . . . . . just click and select.

The cleaver guys at Carista will do all the hard work for you at HQ and puch the new customizations over the internet to you phone . . . . then through the dongle and recode your motor.

The link for it on amazon is here :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carista-Bl...e=UTF8&qid=1536761715&sr=8-1&keywords=carista

the link for HQ is here :
Carista OBD2 App | Diagnose, customize and service your car

and below is the pricing structure:
View attachment 28510

Oh, and if you have Tourqe . . . . . . . . . . it works with that too!
View attachment 28511

Now its not a dealer level tool, nor is it VCDS, But if your just looking as an end-user looking to add a few tweeks to your motor then its perfect.

More advance diagnostics like reading PID`s, Bi-directional control, module coding etc is more a job for VCDS or others . . . . but well cover that a different day.

So that my little look at Carista for you all.

Would I recommend it? – Yes absolutely. For £15 it will give you an insight into the world of fault codes and what those orange lights on the dash mean. It can help you decide if the fault is serious or not and most importantly give you knowledge when you take your van into the dealer knowing what the problem is before they try and baffle you with science.

Also dont forget that fault codes alone are not an excuse to change parts . . . . . . a decent motor tech will take the fault codes as an indication of a fault and direction. Then carry out proper diagnostics in the area to find the exact fault and test each component until the exact problem has been identified.

I'll do a quick video that will be accompany this just so you get a idea of a live demonstration.

I Hope that answers some questions, any comments or suggestions leave them below.

If you would like any other videos or write ups comment below or drop me a PM.

Have a great day and remember with . . . . . Carista – Knowledge is power -

heres the video thats in addition to the write up. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

Brilliant stuff! Thanks for putting in so much effort really helps a novice like me

Back