Caravelle Captain's Seats

Toonfan66

I have looked but can't find definitive answer. Can you get front seats in a Caravelle to rotate and face backwards as per California seats (obviously with 2nd row seats removed) either as factory order or retro fit?

With DVLA uncertainty about conversions and consequent speed restrictions (really don't want to be limited to 50 and 60 on A roads and dual carriageways) I'm shying away from a van/kombi conversion.

Also with wanting 2 sliding doors a California Beach is ruled out, shame as a 4Motion Beach with twin sliders would be ideal.

Not after a camper with kitchen, even a pop top seems OTT for our needs, just want a bit of a day van with ample interior space where we can get away for the day and if weather is a bit pants we can sit in the 'lounge' area reading a book or having a brew with space for us both and the dog.

Second row of seats seem a bit redundant and lots of weight to drag around all the time hence exploring Caravelle and seating options.

If this info is here somewhere it'll just validate my wife's opinion that I'm rubbish at looking for stuff!

hi @Toonfan66

I have a Caravelle with factory swivel seats (1+1).

I got single seats in the rear instead of the bench, and with the middle row removed, we can swivel the front seats and the four of us can sit around the Caravelle table.

@drays

Thank you, really appreciate the prompt information. We're off to the Motor Home & Caravan Show at the NEC next Wednesday so at least we have a starting point to work from. e.g. looking at alternative Caravelle flooring (as carpet is a magnet for dog hair) etc.

I've got rotating front seats in my Caravelle but whilst their utility is great I wouldn't get them again as I'm quite tall and find that the lack of height adjustment annoys me on long journeys. I might even swap them out one day. Anyone wannabe swap for some powered front seats?

@Lukavell
Great feedback, I'm 6'1" (almost, actually 6' and 3/4" ... what's a quarter of an inch between friends) with relatively long body so will have to check that out somehow; maybe next week if a California seat is the same height. Thanks.

@Lukavell
Great feedback, I'm 6'1" (almost, actually 6' and 3/4" ... what's a quarter of an inch between friends) with relatively long body so will have to check that out somehow; maybe next week if a California seat is the same height. Thanks.

Worth a look mate. I'm 6 '7' and my hair touches the roof if I sit straight, which might sound petty but it's just another thing!

With DVLA uncertainty about conversions and consequent speed restrictions (really don't want to be limited to 50 and 60 on A roads and dual carriageways) I'm shying away from a van/kombi conversion.

I can't see how removing any of the seats would change it's DVLA class, as long as you don't permanently remove the fixing the the seats, i.e. the floor rails. I've used my Velle with just the rear bench in, or just the row 2 seats. Doing this wouldn't affect its DVLA class as it is still been used in one of it's many ways as intended for type approval.

I can't see how removing any of the seats would change it's DVLA class, as long as you don't permanently remove the fixing the the seats, i.e. the floor rails. I've used my Velle with just the rear bench in, or just the row 2 seats. Doing this wouldn't affect its DVLA class as it is still been used in one of it's many ways as intended for type approval.

I think we're speaking at crossed purposes; it's not removing seats from a Caravelle that's the issue. The issue is buying a panel van or kombi and converting it to end up similar to a Caravelle/motorhome results in the commercial speed limits that originally come with a van/kombi over a specified weight (50 mph on A roads and 60 mph on dual carriageways) remain in place when you try to register your conversion with DVLA, whereas a VW built Caravelle has car speed limits from the off (60 mph on A roads and 70 mph on dual carriageways).

Back